First game Multiplayer LAN (p)review

AlexandrosV

Chieftain
After the first game in MP LAN i wish to give some feedback.

Overall the game it's really fun, but actually MP LAN gamers are really biased.

Let's start with the bad news... LAN players are called to a Great Act of Faith: thanks to steam they are called to buy one copy of the game for PC, but after that we discover that multiplayer has been set on the power of a 56k modem of the '90s.
No animations means not just that you simply teleport from an hex to another, but that you don't even have a quick combat like civ IV: you simply teleport on the enemy if you win or see the health going down... when it's AI's turn you get attacked and you don't know where, and you have to quickly check for floating red numbers (health decrease) when it comes your turn. You not only can't see the new leader's presentations but you don't even receive diplomatic missions from AI!! Let me explain: you receives quests from City States but AI doesn't propose nothing to you, pacts or tributes or luxuries exchange... you have to propose it, AI simply doesn't interact with you (declaring war apart). Can't also understand WHY it says you have discovered some tech but he cannot read the phrase of the tech...:mad:
Firaxis PLEASE MAKE US MONEY WORTH IT, GIVE US AN OPTION TO ENABLE ALL, wonder's completion window and music too. Can't understand why LAN games should go faster than Single player...have less animations than civ III

Let's come with good news: it really gave me the "one more turn" sensation.
Me and my brother play civ LAN since civ III. I started with Greeks and him with Romans, like always, with emperor diffculty.
In early years AI reallly surclassed us in anything. The most strong leaders has always like the double of us victory points. Finaly thanks to the "build-first-scout-strategy" i took many ruins and i got an Hoplite. So i defeated many barbarians and took a lot of gold. With that gold i became allied with two cultured city states and in 1000BC i regulary take 21 culture per turn. I also managed to build a couple of wonders, but i was third in the score, not too bad for AI. I was really enjoying the game when Dario invaded Rome with 6-7 units and my brother, who was trying to rush legion, in that moment have just 2 warriors and a spearmen... It seems that AI is not that stupid because he had his men killed by enemy archers and Rome conquered in 3 turns.

The good news is that, in spite of MAD MP settings, i really enjoyed the game.

Top Bottom