[Speculation]New Units?

Why is almost every suggestion here present in my Mod?

Btw is probable that there are new units, especially in later eras

Hopefully a cruiser. I say that about as much as I said biplane before GnK came out, a lot. :lol: We got the triplane, so I have a real good feeling about a cruiser. :D

Something that bugs me is that Pikemen-low mobility anti-cav, upgrade to Lancers-high mobility anti-cav cav that is vulnerable to its predecessor, which upgrades to a low-mobility defence unit,that upgrades to a super-mobile aggressive unit. Nonsense-ometer reading: OVER 9000!!!
____________________________________________________________________________________
All glory to the Holy Hand Grenade Spear of Antioch Antitank!:spear:

Axemen are seen in one screenshot.
Im extremely thrilled to see them. I hope they are a no-resource replacement for the swordmen: weaker in generla but with a bonus against swordmen to make the duel equal.

I think discovering foreign cities will be more important with the new international trade route mechanics, so Explorer-type unit can be useful even after all the land is settled, especially if it gets special abilities normal units do not have, like stealth or an ability to enter other civilizations' lands without having Open Borders with it (like Missionaries can now).

As I said before in another thread I hope we would see something to fill in the Lancer - Anti-Tank gap (although I personally would prefer it being reworked), a tougher medieval spearman unit (to move the Pikeman to the Renaissance where it rightfully belongs), and a Falconet or some other type of light artillery to fill in the gap between Crossbowmen and the Gatling Gun.

Something that bugs me is that Pikemen-low mobility anti-cav, upgrade to Lancers-high mobility anti-cav cav that is vulnerable to its predecessor, which upgrades to a low-mobility defence unit,that upgrades to a super-mobile aggressive unit. Nonsense-ometer reading: OVER 9000!!!

Yeah, the Lancer should be a normal cavalry unit between the Knight and Cavalry. Put the Pikeman in Lancer's place, and add a medieval spearman unit in Pikeman's place. Then put something inbetween the Pikeman and the Anti-Tank Gun unless we want Pikemen to upgrade to Riflemen.

Axemen are seen in one screenshot.
Im extremely thrilled to see them. I hope they are a no-resource replacement for the swordmen: weaker in generla but with a bonus against swordmen to make the duel equal.

They look like a Native American UU or something... Don't know why they're Barbarian though :p

As I said before in another thread I hope we would see something to fill in the Lancer - Anti-Tank gap (although I personally would prefer it being reworked), a tougher medieval spearman unit (to move the Pikeman to the Renaissance where it rightfully belongs), and a Falconet or some other type of light artillery to fill in the gap between Crossbowmen and the Gatling Gun.

Yeah, the Lancer should be a normal cavalry unit between the Knight and Cavalry. Put the Pikeman in Lancer's place, and add a medieval spearman unit in Pikeman's place. Then put something inbetween the Pikeman and the Anti-Tank Gun unless we want Pikemen to upgrade to Riflemen.

They look like a Native American UU or something... Don't know why they're Barbarian though :p

Honestly, I think all of these complaints about pikemen and lancers are much ado about nothing. Pikemen were pretty much invented by the Macedonians as a technological upgrade to the Greek Phalanx, i.e., they had longer pointy sticks. If you want a Renaissance unit other than lancer then upgrading Pikemen to Halberdiers might make sense but IMO there is little difference between these two units. Pikemen are the go to unit versus horse-mounted opponents for almost 2000 years. Macedonians tended to also hurl them at enemy infantry to tarpit them and give Macedonian Cav enough time to outflank them.

The Spearman upgrade path looks weird unless you look at it as the anti-cav game unit. Spearman (bns vs. Horseman) -> pikemen (bns vs. Knight) -> Lancer (bns vs. Cavalry) -> Anti-Tank (bns vs. Tank) -> Gunship (bns vs. Tank). The upgrade path makes perfect sense and is sound. For military unit's it is all about role and not the strategic resource needed or inherent mobility.

Regarding the Falconet idea, I think there is space for it so not a problem.

Regarding the Axeman, this could in fact just be an example of the Barbarian Brute getting a distinct symbol and unit sprite to better distinguish it from the Warrior, much like the Barbarian Galley.

Dive bomber with bonus against Tanks and Ships that could help increase potency of Aircraft Carriers.

Also New American Special unit because the Minutemen are not really all that good, Navy SEALs?

WW2 cruiser and a patrol boats that travel the trade routs with your Ships.

Also they need to add a modern attack aircraft, bombers should really only be going after cities.

I would like to see a Light Bomber also that attacks units and has a bonus vs. ships while the regular "strategic" bomber would only target cities and resource tiles.

I would like to see a Light Bomber also that attacks units and has a bonus vs. ships while the regular "strategic" bomber would only target cities and resource tiles.

tac air and strategic air?

That would be cool, but late game seems so short and tech so fast to give the choices on those units.

I'd really like units in a flushed out late-game like guerrillas, insurgents, terrorists. Most aren't PC but make the late game have complex issues instead of being the early game with faster, stronger units would be a nice change.

Honestly, I think all of these complaints about pikemen and lancers are much ado about nothing. Pikemen were pretty much invented by the Macedonians as a technological upgrade to the Greek Phalanx, i.e., they had longer pointy sticks. If you want a Renaissance unit other than lancer then upgrading Pikemen to Halberdiers might make sense but IMO there is little difference between these two units. Pikemen are the go to unit versus horse-mounted opponents for almost 2000 years. Macedonians tended to also hurl them at enemy infantry to tarpit them and give Macedonian Cav enough time to outflank them.

The Spearman upgrade path looks weird unless you look at it as the anti-cav game unit. Spearman (bns vs. Horseman) -> pikemen (bns vs. Knight) -> Lancer (bns vs. Cavalry) -> Anti-Tank (bns vs. Tank) -> Gunship (bns vs. Tank). The upgrade path makes perfect sense and is sound. For military unit's it is all about role and not the strategic resource needed or inherent mobility.

Regarding the Falconet idea, I think there is space for it so not a problem.

Regarding the Axeman, this could in fact just be an example of the Barbarian Brute getting a distinct symbol and unit sprite to better distinguish it from the Warrior, much like the Barbarian Galley.

In medieval times, spears were used, not pikes (at least until the 14th century when they were first used again by the Scots and Flemings, and became a standard weapon against cavalry in the 15th century). And those "Pikemen" brand halberds not pikes anyway (used in the same time as pikes).

Regarding Pikemen/Lancers... Pikemen get a bonus against Lancers... Makes perfect sense :p
Also, the time gap between Lancers and AT-Guns spans 2 eras! Definitely too much. It's like having Warriors fighting Knights when using Lancers in the Modern Era.
Another thing, the Anti-Cav units turn from normal movement to very mobile units and vice-versa a lot following that upgrade path, which totally changes their role as the unit itself, and their strategy.

Well... The Brute pretty much is that by itself. I believe it is a new unit we have in this case.

As I recall the stealth tech has an image of a radar scrambling ship. I think a stealth destroyer like that would make the perfect modern upgrade for the destroyer -- the pinnacle of the naval melee suite. Also, a modern carrier (super-carrier, perhaps) would round out the currently underdeveloped post ww2 navy.

[Edit] Most egregious is the abrupt halt of the ranged line at the machine gun, a Great War unit. They should: rename the current machine gun to maxim gun (parallel w/ other Great War units); make a new machine gun unit (parallel w/ other WW2 units); add a contemporary unit parallel w/ mech inf and modern armor; finish the ranged line w/ a future unit if they're feeling exceptionally creative/ generous.

In medieval times, spears were used, not pikes (at least until the 14th century when they were first used again by the Scots and Flemings, and became a standard weapon against cavalry in the 15th century). And those "Pikemen" brand halberds not pikes anyway (used in the same time as pikes).

Regarding Pikemen/Lancers... Pikemen get a bonus against Lancers... Makes perfect sense :p
Also, the time gap between Lancers and AT-Guns spans 2 eras! Definitely too much. It's like having Warriors fighting Knights when using Lancers in the Modern Era.
Another thing, the Anti-Cav units turn from normal movement to very mobile units and vice-versa a lot following that upgrade path, which totally changes their role as the unit itself, and their strategy.

Well... The Brute pretty much is that by itself. I believe it is a new unit we have in this case.

Pikes were used by Alexander the Great (look up Sarissa). Pikeman is fine as is. Ditto the Lancer which is a stand-in for light cavalry, used all they way up through WWII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_World_War_II#Cavalry_troops). The movement transitions are non-issues. The same thing happens with sea units. Nobody's arguing that we should have a coastal only ship up through the Information Age.

There are better things that could be improved in this game such as the actual Crossbow / Gatling Gun gap.

I think there's merit in a tougher Renaissance-era Scout unit, for exploring (particularly Continents, Terra maps) after Astronomy.

Something which can move easily over terrain like a Scout, without being too squishy, and not necessarily needing a horse resource like a cavalry unit would.

It'd also give you something to do with those Scout units that don't luck out and get an Archer upgrade from a ruin.

Scouts definitely need an upgrade. I think of the Lewis & Clark expedition where the United States explored North America right after it's independence. Lewis & Clark were basically performing the same exact functions as an ancient era scout, but their technology was thousands of years more advanced. They had guns and everything. This modern scout should be able to defend against barbarian warriors without any trouble whatsoever. Maybe they should get extra movement too.

Strategic bombers also attacked ships (at least in the Pacific theatre of WWII, and they were land based of course).

Top Bottom