Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

I think that would be a pretty bad call by Firaxis.

Large patches mean content updates. Bug fixes will be small, either in the form of minor patches or fresh binaries - nothing beyond a few megs a pop.

If Firaxis choose to release free content updates, it would be pretty bad if they released it as a required patch. It wouldn't make any sense and this is exactly what the free DLC system would be for.

Time will tell, but I don't think groundless speculation like this helps.

Civ 4 BTS 3.13 to 3.19: 170-something MB. Groundless? No.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/fanboy.htm

Large patches mean content updates. Bug fixes will be small, either in the form of minor patches or fresh binaries - nothing beyond a few megs a pop.

BtS 3.19 had 169 MB (9 MB for the mesoamerica mod).
I don't consider 160 megabytes being small.

Edit: Way to slow.

Well, time will tell. My comments were directed towards the "It'll require a 1GB patch as soon as its released" idea rather than a 150mb patch quite some time afterwards.

We'll see if they release similar non optional patches given the new system.

The fact remains, "Firaxis might do something stupid" isn't a terribly stable basis for an argument.

Thanks Chalks, paying 10 bucks for dial up may or may not be worth it, i dont kno. I'll just bring my rig back and forth every couple of months to update if I have to. I'm just hoping that steam doesnt do a lot of small tiny updates, and only one large one every few months.

Do you happen to know if that is the case?

Cities XL, my expensive coaster is sitting in its box because it had a 500Meg+ update required to be downloaded before first use, and only from the launch screen. This was verified by the makjers by e-mail.
As to transfering the entire game, Maybe I'm behind the curve, but last I checked, every game installs to a computer in a unique installation, based on the specific hardware and the locations of all preloaded softwares locations on the hard-drive(s). How would it be possible to transfer a game if the videocard was not identical, and its drivers were not in precisely the same locations on the drive? This doesn't make sense. I suspect you transfered a complete pre-install copy of the game.
It is possible that CIV V might allow the required downloads to pick up where they left off, which Cities XL flat refused to do, but this is one of the questions that I asked 2K Elizabeth on the 2K forum, and was told that she would have to find out. That was last week, and as of my last look at that forum, there still was no answer.

I have been using steam for years. If you don't connect to the internet with it you just don't receive automatic updates.

I used Steam without connecting it to the internet for 15 months while I was in Iraq and had 0 problems. Seriously, steam is free and you get sales on games that you can't find in the stores, I really have no idea why there is so much controversy surrounding this.

Thanks Chalks, paying 10 bucks for dial up may or may not be worth it, i dont kno. I'll just bring my rig back and forth every couple of months to update if I have to. I'm just hoping that steam doesnt do a lot of small tiny updates, and only one large one every few months.

Do you happen to know if that is the case?

Steam doesn't make the patches, so it's probably gonna be much like with Civ IV.

I myself am not very fond of the idea of Civ 5 having to have steam. But I love Civ, and I'm willing to go to the extra trouble. I didn't know before that I could play in offline mode, and I'm glad that I've got all the facts. I've been wanting to try Empire: Total War for a while now, and I really want to play Civ 5. Now, I just have to upgrade my computer and I can get E:TW and Civ 5 when it comes out. I don't think companies should require people to use Steam to play their games. But,I like Civ, so I'll buy it anyway. If you can't beat em', join em'.

Thanks to all of you who answered my question. Now I know that I can play Civ 5 even if it requires Steam.

I agree with this.

I have been using steam for years. If you don't connect to the internet with it you just don't receive automatic updates.

I used Steam without connecting it to the internet for 15 months while I was in Iraq and had 0 problems. Seriously, steam is free and you get sales on games that you can't find in the stores, I really have no idea why there is so much controversy surrounding this.

^His first post! :)

@Domination3000 - ? Agree with what? @ your sig, I've always known it was a Republic, can I have a cookie?
@Sterf - How so? Civ 4 doesn't require steam

I've never bought a game off Steam or a game that required steam. However, Civ 5 has made me consider doing so. But here's my situation. I have my gaming computer in my room. We have a computer in our living room with the internet on it. I'm 15, my parents would never let me have the internet on my computer, so that's out of the question. I was wondering if I would be able to temporarily hook my computer up to the internet, install Civ 5(or any other game requiring steam) then go into offline mode, take my computer off the internet, take it back into my room, and play just like a any other game. Would that work?

I just triple confirmed this with the devs and Valve. Yes, that will work. If you want multiplayer, to earn achievements, or to get the game updates and content you'll need to go back out there and hook up again, but you will definitely be able to play offline without a connection. Steam will start, but the internet connection won't.

@Sterf - How so? Civ 4 doesn't require steam

Well, steam doesn't make the patches, firaxis does. Steam just distributes them, they don't alter them or put any evil spyware or whatever you people think in it or anything. In terms of patching you'll get the same as with IV, it'll just be distributed through the steam platform.

It'll be just as when you bought Civ IV on steam as in they supply the patches but don't have anything to do with them otherwise.

I just triple confirmed this with the devs and Valve. Yes, that will work. If you want multiplayer, to earn achievements, or to get the game updates and content you'll need to go back out there and hook up again, but you will definitely be able to play offline without a connection. Steam will start, but the internet connection won't.
I'm still waiting, on this or the 2K forum, for your answer about transfering update and patch files.
I know you said you would have to find out, but its been over a week. I have to think you just don't want to publicly admit that this will not be allowed.
If that is true (my apologies if it is not) that is shameful. Not that you won't allow it, but that you won't admit it.

Well, steam doesn't make the patches, firaxis does. Steam just distributes them, they don't alter them or put any evil spyware or whatever you people think in it or anything. In terms of patching you'll get the same as with IV, it'll just be distributed through the steam platform.

It'll be just as when you bought Civ IV on steam as in they supply the patches but don't have anything to do with them otherwise.

Ah. I understand what you meant now :)

Edit: Congratulations The Angry Tuna for joining CFC (his first post)

I specifically asked about file transfers because I have only dial-up and have been told there will be an estimated 1 GB up-date required to be downloaded at activation before the game can be played.

I wasn't aware of that. That means I don't get it whether I want to or not. I'm on a wireless network with limited bandwidth, and that is way over my maximum allowed. Good move using Steam Firaxis! :rolleyes:

I think a very important question is being missed here because everyone is focusing on how steam operates rather than the game that uses it.

Steam doesn't require you to be actually online in order to run a game after the initial activation, but what of the particular game itself? There doesn't seem to be any assurance from 2K that the game executable itself won't force a user to be online even when playing single player. While that in itself does not mean that it will force them, the possibility exists. It is fair to want an official answer about this given what we do know already about the activation requirements and what is happening with certain other games lately.

I think a very important question is being missed here because everyone is focusing on how steam operates rather than the game that uses it.

Steam doesn't require you to be actually online in order to run a game after the initial activation, but what of the particular game itself? There doesn't seem to be any assurance from 2K that the game executable itself won't force a user to be online even when playing single player. While that in itself does not mean that it will force them, the possibility exists. It is fair to want an official answer about this given what we do know already about the activation requirements and what is happening with certain other games lately.

Actually, this very question was answered by a 2K rep in another thread.

The relevant section is:

How often do I have to connect with Steam after the activation? Never again, if you choose to play in offline mode. The Steam client will still start, but will not communicate with the servers. A connection is required to activate the game and an update must be applied at that time, but after the initial activation, a player never again has to connect their computer to the Internet. However, if not connected, the players will not be able to receive updates, save to the cloud, play multiplayer, earn achievements, or receive free content.

No way in hell will I ever buy a game that REQUIRES me to be on the internet. Guess it's CIV IV for the rest of life.

Actually, I think Direct X is owned by Microsoft (not sure don't eat me if I'm wrong)
It's not Steam I dislike, it's the idea behind Steam. Also, even if Direct X isn't owned by Microsoft, its not the same as Steam.
offtopic: I heard something about Direct X 11, who is this for (w7 only, w7 + vista or is XP included?
w7 only, though it also works with DX9&10 too
Works on Vista too.

Valve has said they can unlock any game for non-activation gameplay if it ever stops being supported.

Don't worry, you don't have to reply with "Yeah but maybe they won't do that!". I have already predicted it.
Vista is limited to DX10
I have Empire Total War through steam. I have not needed to connect to play since the first time, I needed a connection to download the game and validate the first time I played the game. Since then I keep Steam in Offline Mode and even though steam is running, it is running as an application on my computer and is not interfacing with the Web at all because I'm not online. If I play ETW I just need to keep Steam on, but I do not need an internet connection to play.

Maybe Civ V is different. But if it isn't, then all you need to do is connect at download/validation and then it's smooth sailing.
same way according to 2KElizabeth
It was made very clear on the 2K forum that ALL updates and patches must be done from the computer the game is on, and currently at least, from inside the game.
I specifically asked about file transfers because I have only dial-up and have been told there will be an estimated 1 GB up-date required to be downloaded at activation before the game can be played.
This effectively makes the game useless to me, so I will not be buying it, even though I only play offline/solo. I cannot see getting a GB, about 3 DAYS of download uninterupted.
My experience with Cities XL (expensive coaster) is that the download restarts from the beginning each attempt as well.
Just not happening in my world.
Who said there would a 1GB patch?
Someone isn't doing his math correctly...

1 gigabyte or 8 gigabits of data is approximately 8000000000 bits. Divide by 56000 bits per second (ideally :mischief:) ~ 142858 seconds ~ 40 hours. I could be more exact, but I think you can get the point.
person may not realize that 56k is kilobits since most think kb is in kilobytes
It's also unfair to imply that you need an internet connection to play a modern game if it's single player. Besides a few KB transferred for activation, you can't expect someone to download any significant data on a dial up connection.

I used dial up back in the day and it is painful. Even without the fact that it probably ties up your only phone line and costs the earth.

5 min activation connection for a single player game isn't the end of the world, but a gig download is just plain silly.
probably more like a couple megabytes, the one time I used dial up ended in me beating the modem with a heavy textbook and then a hammer followed by the good ol' chuck it out the window... To this day I loath 56k
That's exactly the problem with STEAM, sir. I'm willing to bet money that ciV will need a large patch at some point. That's exactly when the dial-up players get hosed. (Darn terrible efficiency...)
:confused:
I'm still waiting, on this or the 2K forum, for your answer about transfering update and patch files.
I know you said you would have to find out, but its been over a week. I have to think you just don't want to publicly admit that this will not be allowed.
If that is true (my apologies if it is not) that is shameful. Not that you won't allow it, but that you won't admit it.
Company representative are not company-wide Omnipotent
I wasn't aware of that. That means I don't get it whether I want to or not. I'm on a wireless network with limited bandwidth, and that is way over my maximum allowed. Good move using Steam Firaxis! :rolleyes:
I don't think there will be 1 Gigabyte download, maybe a GigaBIT (128 Megabytes)

Vista is limited to DX10

No, it will also run DirectX 11. At least according to what I've been reading on the net.

Who said there would a 1GB patch?

I'd like to know that as well.

I don't think there will be 1 Gigabyte download, maybe a GigaBIT (128 Megabytes)

Well I hope that's case, it would be awfully stupid requiring a download that large. It would pretty much exclude all dial-up users, and even many broadband ones that have a limited bandwidth arrangement with their ISPs. It would also make buying a retail version a farce. At 1 gig you'd only be buying an installer, not the game itself.

Attacking someone for a belief they have causes them to build a barrier. As a genuine advocate of Steam, would it not be more productive to be either neutral or positive in explaining away the myths?

Is it done out of compassion for the Steam-boycotters, wanting them to not have to miss out on civ5?

Why do so few people prefer the middle ground? Is it because they don't care to comment? Is it because the amount of disinformation from both sides only polarises the positions that people take on Steam?

Chalks, it's you in particular I struggle to understand the true motives of. You obviously think Steam is a good platform. Do you hope to encourage more people to use Steam? If so, do you think positive encouragement as opposed to sweeping generalisations can be a better way to achieve such a goal? It seems when a question is asked, you answer with a positive answer. If a false statement is made however, all hell breaks loose.

Honestly, there is no middle ground on this issue, outside of Steam becoming like Impulse (and even Impulse is too far for some anti-Steamers)

This is a console fanboy war, just without the consoles.

I've used Steam, I don't like it one bit. I am willing to use other DD platforms.
I think the best approach to fighting this is not so much a boycott of Civ 5 (though if you don't like Steam don't buy it), but to buy games from vendors with better DRM policies.

Add in my concerns about what would happen if Valve gets a dominant market share and you can see why people are hopping mad over this.

That said, I don't think Steam will brick people computers- or that Steam is likely to brick people's games. I do believe that fans of the series will be nickel-and-dimed on DLC, and if Civ on Steam works, the expansions will go harder in that direction. That said, Paradox has done the nickel-and-diming themselves with HoI3, and that game suffered from it, despite being no-DRM.

Really, if it was just one factor I was unhappy with, I'd probably grumble and get on with it- but it's a combination of things.

No, it will also run DirectX 11. At least according to what I've been reading on the net.

I'd like to know that as well.

Well I hope that's case, it would be awfully stupid requiring a download that large. It would pretty much exclude all dial-up users, and even many broadband ones that have a limited bandwidth arrangement with their ISPs. It would also make buying a retail version a farce. At 1 gig you'd only be buying an installer, not the game itself.
I apologize, I possessed out dated information, thank you for correcting me
Honestly, there is no middle ground on this issue, outside of Steam becoming like Impulse (and even Impulse is too far for some anti-Steamers)

This is a console fanboy war, just without the consoles.

I've used Steam, I don't like it one bit. I am willing to use other DD platforms.
I think the best approach to fighting this is not so much a boycott of Civ 5 (though if you don't like Steam don't buy it), but to buy games from vendors with better DRM policies.

Add in my concerns about what would happen if Valve gets a dominant market share and you can see why people are hopping mad over this.
What didn't you like?

Top Bottom