Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Okay, so. Green = Junior mod, Blue = Senior Mod, Purple = Supermod. What about navy-blue? For example, looking at the forum moderators for Civilization 5 General Discussion, Ginger_Ale is a different shade of blue.

He's special. He (along with TF) is a CFC Editor so he gets his own color, but Ginger_Ale is also a senior mod.

Also, for clarification purposes:
Green = Junior mod
Blue = Moderator
Dark Blue = Senior Moderator
Purple = Super Moderator

Interesting issue, I guess, and I figure this is the only place I can post it since it involves me not being able to type anything when I click on the "New Thread" icon nor on the "Post Reply" icons. I have to "post quick reply" or "go advanced" at the bottom of an existing thread to be able to type anything in the text box. Otherwise, it's a white box that I can select via tab key, but cannot get a cursor to appear within or anything I type to show. I'm using Vista 32-bit sp2 and the latest IE. Is this on my end or yours?

Thanks. I'll have to tinker around with the settings and see if I can clear it up.

How about toning down the waiting time between searches? Right now it's 30 seconds. How about 20 or even 10?

Same problem as ZhugeTien !!

I cannot:
- create a new thread (by instance, I can type the title of a new thread, but cannot access the main window in which I should type my text. It seems desabled)
- use the quote button for replying (result is... no quote)
- use a reply in advanced mode
But I can:
- reply (quick reply) in an existing thread

When trying to go to Advanced mode or open a new thread, I have a yellow warning icon bottom left of my IE8 browser with error:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:48:52 UTC

Line: 11
Char: 23424
Code: 0
URI: http://forums.civfanatics.com/clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js?v=382

As I see "access denied", I have authorized "forums.civfanatics.com" as Trusted Site in internet options. I have also authorized civfanatics.com in my privacy settings. Still same problem.
It seems to be a javascript error (vbulletin_textedit.js), but java works fine on all other forum boards, and CivFanatics is the only place where I experience this issue...
Settings in IE8 are basic settings, I do not have any loaded fancy menu bars and I really do not understand what is wrong.

It happens in my 2 computers:
Dell Precision M65, W XPpro-SP3 32b, IE8
Alienware M17x, W 7 Ultimate 64b, 100% original and default settings in IE8 !!

Any ideas about what is wrong ?

try allowing civfanatics.net as well (I believe some of the sripts come from that server), I had this problem a long time ago when using the noscript add-on for firefox and had to add another server apart from civfanatics.com but forget which one, I *think* it was the .net domain, but I might be wrong...

How long does it take for a name change?

Hmm. It's just that i've been waiting for some time now.

Can i ask again?

ORI
try allowing civfanatics.net as well (I believe some of the sripts come from that server), I had this problem a long time ago when using the noscript add-on for firefox and had to add another server apart from civfanatics.com but forget which one, I *think* it was the .net domain, but I might be wrong...

Unfortunately, it does not work. I still have the same problem on both computers.... (I had to copy/paste the quote as I cannot use the quote button: the advanced page does not load correctly)

What I did in IE8 (on both computer, but, again, the Alienware M17x was with original untouched IE8, Dell/Alienware factory settings, 3 weeks old...). IE8 is 32bit on my M65, and is IE 64b on my M17x
- in IE options, Advanced tab: "restore advanced settings"
- same tab: "reset Internet Explorer Settings"
- restarted IE
- it sends me through teh welcome menus, with IE configuration. I selected:
. Suggested site: No, don't turn on
. Use Custom settings
. Keep my current (Yahoo) search provider
. Search provider updates: yes, I want to download updates
. Accelerators: Turn off all accelerators
. Turn off SmartScreen Filter
. Compatibility settings: yes, I want to use updates
- then in security tab:
. "reset all zones to default level"
. added Trusted sites (no https required): http://*.civfanatics.net ttp://forums.civfanatics.com
- then in Privacy tab (Privacy: medium), added: civfanatics.net civfanatics.com civfanatics.org
- restarted IE again
- went to this page, clicked on quote under ORI's post
- I get the Advanced page, I can type a title but cannot access the main text window (desabled). I have teh same error message (yellow triangle bottom left):
Webpage error details
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:58:33 UTC
Line: 11
Char: 23424
Code: 0
URI: http://forums.civfanatics.com/clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js?v=382

It is very odd. I cannot open a new thread. I cannot use advanced settings. I cannot send a PM... And I only use original software, on different operating systems, with no add-on whatsoever (no google / yahoo bars, no banners from a 3rd party, etc... official IE8)

Ok, I can live without opening any thread in this forum (I only have this problem with Civfanatics's forum), or use advanced features, but something does not make sense.
Any idea would be most welcome !!

forgot to add: I was able before to use the site at 100% ! It seems the problem started a few months ago...

EDITED:Even worst!!!
I just tried to log on the forum using 4 computers at work (XP, Vista, W7, all 100% original) I don't even own and touch: they ALL give the same result: as soon as I log on and click on "quote" in any thread, I get the same error message (line 11, the vbulletin script). They are generic computers (HP, Compaq, E-Machine and Dell) with basic installation. They are not with the same AV either. My computers use McAfee Total Protection. but at work, it is Kaspersky or Norton AV 2011 or Norton IS 2011...
And the computers at work have not been modified by me! they are regular computers, with one dedicated only to monitoring our internal network...
Does not make sense all this. Is civfanatics unfriendly with some exotic IPs ? (Mozambique...) ?????

Edited 2:I just tried with the laptop of the National Director of Admin & Fin. (I work in the Min of Agri in Mozambique): idem !!! really something very very odd...
I need to talk about this to Mandela for freeing up our computers ...

So essentially it gives you the access denied message when posting apartt from the quick reply box?
Try this: click here and go way down to the miscellaneous options then set the message editor interface option to something not WYSIWYG (either standard editor or basic editor) - does that work?

So essentially it gives you the access denied message when posting apartt from the quick reply box?
Try this: click here and go way down to the miscellaneous options then set the message editor interface option to something not WYSIWYG (either standard editor or basic editor) - does that work?

YES !! It works. I have clicked on "quote", and I get it right..., and can type in teh main body windows
I have used the "Standard Editor" option, not the "basic" one...
Funny ! Last time I accessed my option page should be years ago... I wonder if a change into vbulletin did not trigger this at a later stage.... oh well, it works and it is what matters...
HAPPY ! :)

Thank you very much Ori !!

Top Bottom