Questions about The BUG Mod

If I just follow the instructions which came with the download, will I install it as a "mod" or as a "custom assets" thingy? I still dont understand the difference (technically), although I understand the difference in functionality you both just mentioned...

from the BUG and BAT installer, you can choose during the installing process between a "standard install" (meaning as customassets) and a "mod install" (meaning in the mod folder).
Remember that if you choose the mod installation, you have to load the mod from the game main screen when you start to play.

BAT can only be installed in the Mods directory. BUG can be installed in either. I'd really suggest downloading the .exe as it has the 3.17 patch for BAT in the installer, and you just select your option. With the zip you're going to have to do more work.

For BUG if you install in the MODs folder it allows you to play Multi-player games, as well as keeping your CustomAssets "pure". I actually have both installed.

here is the link for BUG & BAT & the "BAT 3.17 patch", all in one: Click Here

One final note: Don't play any games until after you make your own mod to the WW, or else BAT will not play the save after.

Having installed 3.17 and Solver's unofficial patch, I want to install the latest version of BUG. It says I must uninstall earlier versions of BUG before updating. How do I do this ? I can't find my notes of which version I already have.

If you don't have any other mods installed into CustomAssets, you can simply rename that directory by adding "-old" to keep it as a backup and then install the new version (3.0) of BUG.

CustomAssets is located in "My Games\Beyond the Sword" and will contain a lot of empty directories created by Civ. It creates these each time it starts up, so you can safely rename or delete the whole CustomAssets directory. To see that there are no files, right-click it and select "Properties", and it will say how many files it contains.

The latest BUG comes with an uninstaller so it will be easier next time. :)

Where do you have it installed? If it is in the customassets folder, just delete or rename your customassets folder. If you have solver's patch in your customassets folder, you will need to install that again.

This is important as there is a file in pre-v2.3 of BUG that causes in-game log crashes.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how do you get BUG to work in MP?

The latest works fine in SP, but doesn't activate for MP.

Thanks

It will only work in MP when you install it in the Mods folder instead of CustomAssets. Also, both people must be using BUG 3.0 in the "Mods\BUG 3.0" directory, and Lock Modified Assets must be selected when the game is created in Custom Games. Also, you may want to updated from the SVN as we made some improvements to make BUG 100% MP playable.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

I don't know if it has to do with BUG or not, but I think it showed up when I first installed an older version.

that is the TEXT_KEY_<FOO> stuff in the civopedia.

What is it and how do you get rid of it. And if its not due to BUG then does anyone know what it is from?

Please could you open a thread with the Sevopedia 2.3.1 separated out from BUG? I just play some mods which don't have this and think it would be more widely used if there was a stand-alone version rather than the BUG version. At the moment it sounds like it would be a headache to work out which files Sevopedia needs and disengage the stuff you don't want. I understand that you have made this for a particular purpose but does that mean the rest of us have to be limited by it?

That is not quite the point. I really do want to have just the necessary files for Sevopedia 2.3.1 as I am worried that it could overwrite necessary files if installed directly to the mod. I really now understand why mods aren't using this as they seem to have to have a lot of BUG stuff even if they don't want it. Sevopedia was initially separate. Can't it become separate again?

hmm - I'm sure how I feel about this. The BUG team 'steals' mod components from everyone left right and center. Sometimes, we just roll those components into BUG and leave them as they are. Other times (the majority, I think), the BUG team improves on the original (logger, alerts, city screen trade routes, PLE, reminders to name just some). We also add totally new features (scoreboardm BUG Military Advisor).

I'm pretty sure that we are more than happy for others to lift our work (as long as they give credit) but I don't see us maintaining other people's stand-alone mod components (ie sevopedia and others). We are pretty good in marking up a file that we mod (mod starts here, mod ends here) as well as pushing bigger mods into their own files. It shouldn't be too hard to extract the sevopedia stuff out of BUG (they appear to have their own files and it is just a matter of looking for the linkages back to the main interface - note: never worked with sevopedia so this is just a guess).

That is not quite the point. I really do want to have just the necessary files for Sevopedia 2.3.1 as I am worried that it could overwrite necessary files if installed directly to the mod.

OK, but we are the BUG Team, and this is the BUG sub-forum, so if you are not interested in BUG but only in Sevopedia, why do you write here and to us, instead of writing to Sevo or in Sevopedia thread or do yourself the work that you need?

I really now understand why mods aren't using this as they seem to have to have a lot of BUG stuff even if they don't want it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sevopedia was initially separate. Can't it become separate again?

Of course it can, but if you sugest that we should mantain all the mods that we have included in BUG as standalone mod, you are joking! Our coder don't even have time (or wish) to release their own mods as standalone!

To make it as clear as possible, the BUG Team take mods out there and put them together inside BUG, and very often it also improve them, make them more configurable, write better documentation for them, translate them, etc.
This is the work we are interested in.
We dont want to mantain them as standalone, nor ever will, I think. It is not only a different purpose, it's almost an opposite one. So, if you like, do it yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking for myself, not for all the BUG Team.

The Sevopedia now has a section for leader traits. Each trait lists the leaders with that trait, the effects of the trait, and strategy for maximizing the trait.

The strategy articles were written by Sisiutil of ALC fame and include useful technologies, buildings, wonders and civics.

Spoiler Charismatic Trait :

This seems like a neat feature, only, it's not available? I have the strategy guide section, just not the 'traits' section.

I see. My apologies. And thanks for the quick post!

Top Bottom