Schizophrenic ottomans...

shattergod

Chieftain
I guess I'm trying to figure out... what is the strategy here?

musketman unit... lancer unit.. unique ability that's good exclusively for naval units.

I guess... I don't get it?

Shattergod is pointing out a lack of synergy concerning the Ottomans' UUs and UA, I believe.
There was a time when the Ottomans were formidable on both land and sea, I think their UUs and UAs are meant to portray that. There's more to it surely, corsairs and what have you but that's just a simple explanation.

The Janissary and Sipahi go well together. Sipahi can just around and pillage everything, do some slight damage to an enemy and back off into safer territory. Then the Janissary comes in, wiping the injured unit off the map with its attacking bonus and coming out of the fight with nary a scratch.

As far as I'm concerned the Ottomans don't even have a UA. If you're playing a water map you're not going to be doing much before Privateers, and you're probably going to be done before Destroyers.

The Janissary and Sipahi go well together. Sipahi can just around and pillage everything, do some slight damage to an enemy and back off into safer territory. Then the Janissary comes in, wiping the injured unit off the map with its attacking bonus and coming out of the fight with nary a scratch.

As far as I'm concerned the Ottomans don't even have a UA. If you're playing a water map you're not going to be doing much before Privateers, and you're probably going to be done before Destroyers.

Oh, they have a UA. Build 2 galleys early on, then sail the sea and pick off barbs one by one. You'll have a large number of ships very quickly. Plus, even if you do just build up a navy, it'll be so cheap that nobody can match you.

Galleys/Triremes suck though, especially without the ranged support of the Galleas that doesn't come until two eras later. It's hard for me to imagine getting anything done via maritime conquest before Frigates.

The UA allows for a large navy with mimimal effort.

The UUs allow for an amazingly powerful renaissance army. Janissary upgrades also carry-over to rifles and later.

So they are strong at both land and sea. Thus, a player should be mongering with them.

The UA allows for building a big navy with generic ships. You don't need to focus on the naval side of the tech tree. Your strategy is to zerg rush at sea. Take your enemies' galleases and use them against them.

The UUs work well together. The Ottomans should focus on the bottom part of the tech tree to get their UUs as soon as possible.

Then you are a terror on both land and sea. The navy isn't particularly special or advanced, but it will be big.

Top Bottom