Cant use Beyond the Sword? Need help

texasAAD

Chieftain
Ok. I have a problem with Beyond the Sword. I cant play it at all. And i haven't been able to fix it. So let me explain the story leading up to it before you can help.

I have the complete edition for Civ 4. i like playing the BtS expansion pack regularly by myself but never touched the multiplayer, but i just recently tried to play it online with my friends because they got the game.

So, for the first time, i went to multiplayer, made an account, and i went straight to the lobby. Then, there was a pop-up that said i had to install a patch ( I think it was "Patch 3.1.3"). So, i did that, saw it download, then the game shut down. I looked around my computer but nothing had happened.

So, i clicked on Beyond the Sword to start it up again, but nothing happened. Then, i noticed that the icon had changed. The icon is just a person, and a red blocking symbol next to him.

So i right click it, but the only options are "open file location" and "restore previous versions". i clicked "restore previous versions", but the screen searched for them, but it said that there were none. So then i clicked "open file location" and it showed me a file location. It was titled "Games", and had them in in three categories:

-Game Providers: (More games from Microsoft)

-Games: Which includes Civ 4,and Warlords and Colonization and the standard games like solitaire, chess and minesweeper

-Unspecified- Civ4 :Beyond the Sword

I can play Civ 4, and Warlords. (I could never get Colonization to work, so it's not a problem)

So, the computer it has BtS in that "Unspecified" category on its own, so maybe the computer doesn't know if BtS is a game or something?

Sorry for so much information, but this is my first post and i didn't know what to put and unfortunately, i'm not an expert with computers.

Thanks for reading, please help me if you can, I would appreciate it.

Is your game installed from a disc or online download? I don't know if I can help but anyone who can will want to know this.

If all else fails, reinstall the game. Then download the patches from the "Patch and Update" page here in the forums. The link to it is in the Civ4 drop down menu at the top of every page. The built in patcher in the game does not work and caused your problem.

The last patch for BTS is 3.1.9. That is the one you want. Anything that asks you to use an earlier patch will also work with the last one.

3.1.9 is the latest and using the in-game patcher which doesn't work has messed up your install. Complete is usually supplied fully patched now so you may not have needed to patch. Remember - Gamespy is dead so the lobby will not work. The steam version has been patched to use steam for multiplayer but non-steam people will have to use DirectIP which has unfortunately been removed in the steam version along with Gamespy.
You may have to uninstall and reinstall but could try manually patching with 3.1.9 first although I'm far from convinced that will work. The pinned thread in this forum about installing on Windows 7/Vista will have the links to the patch you need.

Top Bottom