• Civ 3 - The Middle Child

Votes: 41 12.1%
  • Civ 4 - The New Ruler

Votes: 239 70.5%

• Total voters

jcikal

The Voice of Reason
Go to http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

Under PC Games, sort by order and there you'll see Civ 4 with a score of 93 (position #10) and Civ 2 with a score of 94 (position #6). These are games since 1995 which have been categorized according to the various review they've gotten when first released. The top scorer btw is still Half Life & Half Life 2 with both a score of 96 (HL2 is #1 and HL1 is #2)

Which leads me to take a poll of those people who play Civ more than anyone else Civfanatics!!!

Vote for your favorite

Civ 4 is the king in my book. Civ 3 added lots of cool new features but lost the addiction. Civ 2 was great at the time but compared to Civ 4, its hopeless and Civ is too basic by todays standards.

I bet if the magazines reviewed the games now, they would get a lot lower scores.

1% really isn't that meaningful when it's measuring something subjective. ;) I personally prefer Civ 4, partly for the new features, and partly because it presents a challenge. Anyone could beat Civ 2 at Deity without much difficulty, thanks to a poor AI and numerous loopholes and balance issues. Defeating Civ 3 or Civ 4 at the highest level is nowhere near as easy, and this makes for a much better game.

Civ 2 was still a very good game but Civ 3, and now Civ 4 have improved on it. :)

You can't view them by todays standards. You have to view them by the time they were put out. (Thats like saying we're stupid for making 386 computers because we made better ones 10 years later)

My vote is for Civ2, and I'm only considering Civs 1-3.
Civ4 is not completed yet, they'll patch it another time or 2 and release an expansion or two.

Civ2, was a pioneering game in its mod-ability. Everything was .GIFs and .TXTs. You can't get much simpler than that, the possibilities were wide open. Introduce, beyond that, events and you have yourself a game of limitless possibilities.

I played every Civ2 expansion into the ground, I unfortunately cannot say the same for Civ3, which while fun just didn't do it for me. Civ4 is turning out to be quite a great game, we shall see how it turns out.

I still like Civ 2 best. Although if SMAC were included in your poll, I would probably vote for that.

I thought that I would go back and play a game of Civ 2, just to compare it with Civ 4. I ended up playing it non stop for 3 days. Even though it does have some problems by today's standards, it also has so many great features that were lost along the way to the later games: lethal air bombardment, spies, zones of control, more modern-era units (paratroopers, cruise missles, Aegis cruisers, etc), terraforming (with engineers), capturing the enemy capital to destroy the spaceship, civil wars, and it is easy to modify things in the rules.txt file if you want to make simple changes.

Civ 4 is more complex in some ways, but to me, Civ 2 is more just plain fun.

One must respect other people opinions (free speech civics :)), but civ iv is by far the best, though civ i is unforgettable, for being the pioneer and civ ii had so many nice new features. Many people, like me, don´t get as much interest on civ iii, the only one i´ve lost addiction before winning at the higer levels.

I'll go with C3, with C2 a strong 2nd. C4 was simply going through the motions for me with little fun. I found the AI as easy as ever once you learn it. My last game I was well ahead in tech, etc. Space race disabled, hoping the AI would get meaner...eh...nope.

Don't remember the year but only had 10 or so techs left to research and yet the AI has never delared war on me. Despite trying to bait it into doing so by having one defender in all cities, most of these long out dated units, harrassing the AI only gets and keeps them annoyed with me but that seems to be as far as they'll go. Also have a two or three civs on friendly terms.
And by the way, I'm not one who simply likes to war all the time...50/50 I am.

In C3 even on lower levels the AI would declare war, even it it was stupid at times for them to do so, it was still loads more fun.
The other day I spent an hour or so playing C2, first time in years, been so long that at times I know not what I'm doing. But, the little time spent on it gave me that good feeling again. Last night I loaded a saved game (C4) and got my first CTD, I reloaded, moved a couple of units...stared at the screen and relized I'm just going through the motions , not enjoying this game, whatever the reason is, I'm not getting from it what I did and do from C2 and C3.

So for now I've uninstalled C4, already have C2/C3 on the pc and will give C3 ago, although this means I'll have to set certain restrictions etc. on myself to make up for the AI, I'll know I'll have the fun factor again. Oh, I pick C3 over C2 mainly for borders, resourses, etc.

My rig is P4 3.6Ghz
3Gigs of dual channel ram
BFG Nvidia 7800 GTX
No spyware, adware, viruses, etc............

and at times this game......well there is no excuse for this game (C4) doing what it does to some machines!

I would like to point out that I'm not hating on C4 and more importantly not Firaxis, I love the Civ series and am happy for those who enjoy the game (I envy you) and hoping that with an ExP, that this game will bring me what the others have/do.

In the meantime C2 and C3....disks are at the ready........

I guess I'm one of the few people who hated civ2. Civ1 was great, Civ2 was a step backwards IMO. I enjoyed Civ3 more than Civ1, and now that I'm used to Civ4, it's my favorite.

I am also dissapointed about AC not being included.

I really hope they either make a AC-mod for Civ4 or as a new game

Bongo-Bongo said:
Civ 4 is the king in my book. Civ 3 added lots of cool new features but lost the addiction. .

I agree. My favorite was Civ 2, Test of time. Very addictive. UNTIL Civ 4 came. It is just as adictive and I am now losing hours in the evening like I was back in college... only I can't skip a class in the morning. Thank God for lap tops! If they would just make a boss screen. . .

I don't know what happened with Civ 3. They gave us culture, borders, new wonders, armies, better city management, trade routes... but it was a yawner. For one thing, having to watch all the enemy moves late game was terrible. And... well, I don't know what was missing. :crazyeye: It's like when you meet someone who's not all there, you think: Something is wrong here, but I don't know what. :confused:

I just remembered my favorite part of civ 2: Cheating. Man, that was great! I could build my "castle" and then quickly switch to a world wonder when I got enough hammers.

Or, I could create camels from other cities, run them to the city with the wonder and disband them, adding the hammers to the wonder (it was a generous amount).

Of course, the computer did the same thing :sad:

In fact, I'm pretty sure the computer cheated all the time to win.

Also miss the huge power of the Great Library. Of course it wasn't realistic . . .

Civ 4 gets the nod from me. It has magnifecently learned the good and the bad from the previous civs and added excelent new features. Civ 4 is a great game, and hope that Civ 5 will be able to build even further upon this.

Just for getting rid of stockpiling hammers by building a palace and then switching to a wonder when you have researched the tech gives civ4 the vote for me.
civ4 is just more 'balanced' - no more armies, no more spys buying cities etc. - all the exploits I previously used are gone, and as yet I have found no new 'super' exploit (chop rushing don't really count).

Hmm..

I can't really pick. I like them all for different reasons!

I guess if I had to choose, it would probably be Civ 2. That game kept me hooked for a long time.

I prefer Civ 4 to C3C already, and with expansions it should be even better.

I voted civ 1. There is nothing like playing the first in a genre game (that you play).

Same goes for other gametypes. Nothing will ever beat my quake2 multiplayer experience when it comes to fps or my first steps trough Faydar in EQ1 when it comes to mmorpg's.

Civ 2 Scenarios are still some of the best gaming experiences ever. Too bad there's very little in the way of scenarios for Civ4 (the ones with the game sucks). Maybe it's way too early to develop true Civ2-like scenarios.

As for the regular game, Civ4, no doubt.

Top Bottom