[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Dale said:
1. Due to lower immigration cost, English immigrants are ALWAYS cheaper to hurry over any other nation. They will spend less gold to hurry immigrants in general than other nations.

Correct. In this area Tolerant is better than Devout.

Dale said:
2. Also, with no church (common for the first 50-100 turns) England is getting immigrants faster (due to low cost) as every nation is only producing 1 cross. Portugal catches up as cross production ramps up.

Incorrect. Portugal *never* catches up, it is mathematically impossible. Improving production by +25% is EXACTLY the same as reducing the price by 20%. 5/4 x crosses = price <=> crosses = price x 4/5

As long as the English and Portuguese employ the same amount of preachers, the English generate more purchasing power than the Portuguese.

Tolerant > Devout

Dale said:
3. Portugal will produce more religious FF points, as their cross production is higher (all other things equal).

Ah. Granted, correct, but you did not mention that in the previous post.

Devout > Tolerant

So like I said, all other things equal, England benefits early from low cost immigration when everyone's cross production is close, but Portugal gains the advantage later in higher religious point generation which will translate to more religious FF's.

From what you've said, I think the one thing that you did not realize is that the English advantage in purchasing power does NOT go away. The only area where Devout gives the advantage is in generating Religious Points. So the question is, is that good enough to call both traits balanced?

Great mod, won't be the same without the Portuguese!

Now all we need is Germany, Russia, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark-Norway and Courland! :D

Could you add these resources later?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10461

Potato should Definitely be in america, also rubber and timber are appropriate too. I don't know how necessary the amber is. And America should definitely have a gold resouce, where do the natives get their shiny coins?

Just a suggestion though.

Incorrect. Portugal *never* catches up, it is mathematically impossible. Improving production by +25% is EXACTLY the same as reducing the price by 20%. 5/4 x crosses = price <=> crosses = price x 4/5

As long as the English and Portuguese employ the same amount of preachers, the English generate more purchasing power than the Portuguese.

Doh! I was thinking "+25/-25" but one is based off a higher number so the raw value is more. My mistake. :)

From what you've said, I think the one thing that you did not realize is that the English advantage in purchasing power does NOT go away. The only area where Devout gives the advantage is in generating Religious Points. So the question is, is that good enough to call both traits balanced?

I think the Portuguese leader traits make up for it, and of course the larger capacity start unit (Carrack). With one leader having friendly natives relations (better chance of trade and alliances) and the other having twice the tax time I think Portugal has a good mix of traits that represent them.

Yo mate, you should add the most fearsome tribe of all America. The Mapuches from south Chile and Argentina. They STILL fight for they land and they were THE BRAVEST WARRIORS in all the colonization period (in fact, they survived this period and still fight against the ocupation of their land http://santiago.indymedia.org/news/2008/09/82256.php).

Lautaro, a mapuche chief, one of the most brilliant natives and militar strategist, in wikipedia you can find this about him

¨Lautaro was a Mapuche military leader and protagonist in the War of Arauco. Some of his tactics are currently studied in several war academies around the world.¨ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lautaro_(toqui)

Theese guys, the Mapuche, are one of the proudest warriors in all the world and one of THE ONLY WHO HELD THEIR LAND UNTIL NOW!.

¨With 6,000 warriors under his command, Lautaro attacked Fort Tucapel. The Spanish garrison couldn't resist the assault and retreated to Purén. Lautaro seized the fort, sure that the Spaniards would attempt to retake it. This was exactly what Valdivia tried to do with a reduced force, which was quickly surrounded and massacred by the Mapuches. The Battle of Tucapel would be Pedro de Valdivia's last, as he was captured and then killed.¨

¨The indigenous inhabitants of Araucanía, the Mapuche, had resisted for more than three hundred years Spanish attempts at conquest known as the Arauco Wars. They had also previously defeated the Incas. Whilst their frontier with the Inca empire had been along the Maule River, the Spaniards had succeeded in establishing it at the Bío-Bío River. When the Arauco Wars faded in the 18th and 19th centuries, commercial relations began to grow and cultural and ethnic mixing increased in the frontier territories. Ambrose O'Higgins and other Chilean authorities made agreements with several Mapuche chiefs to end the hostilities on both sides.¨

They were known as the best warriors and CAUPOLICÁN is the proof of that. When he was fighting to become a Mapuche Chief in his tribe, he had to held a great piece of a tree FOR 2 DAYS WITHOUT PASSING OUT!. Also, when he was captured he had to sit in a gigant spike that entered through his ass (yes), and he died bravely kicking his spanish executor and without screaming or saying a word!.

The spanish crown and then the government of Chile until the 19th century reconogized the Mapuche Nation with it's own territory and leaders, this was the only tribe in America who did this. Through war, because this is a tribe of fearsome warriors. Still in these times, if you have the bad idea to mess with one of them, you need 3 normal guys to take just one of them out, i've seen it with my own eyes!.

All this is not a myth, you can look in history you'll learn more about this tribe. For me they are the most militaristic tribe in America, they would be definetly Militaristic - Agricultural and their leaders should be Lautaro and Caupolican. Maybe not very known as the more popular ones like inca, aztecs, cherokee, etc... they are more comercial ones (also adding that Mapuches are known to be very against the capitalist system)

If you want to learn more about this tribe, here is a small info about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapuche the proudest and bravest warriors natives of America, best vibes for you.

Nadeau from Chile.

Was looking for a little help, I download an unzip the the short cut mods folder but it won't load the mod for some reason? It restarts like it's loading the mod but there's no changes to the game no Portugal and so on.

Are you putting the mod in the "My Games" Mods folder, or in the actual game files Mods folder in "Program Files"? You'll probably have to create a Mods folder (by default I think it's C:\Program Files\Colonization) and then unzip the mod to there. So it'd be C\Program Files\Colonization\Mods\AgeOfDiscoveryII\ :)

Thanks think I've got it working now just had to take the files out of the Mod folder.

Looks like you've done a really impressive job on this.

By the way out of curiosity is there anyway to win as the Pirates or is that not possible yet?

Not yet, but I'm hashing ideas on a pirate victory (and a native victory) and a commonwealth victory. :)

i think someone else mentioned this but didnt get a response. there is no mod folder. dale can you give some more advanced instructions about how to get the download there. will it create one, do i need to make one? step by step please.

Just a question, have you considered editing the Carrack/Fluyt at all? In my personal game I have changed the XML files so that the Carrack has 4 Speed(Same as a Caravel) and the Fluyt has 4 Strength(So they have a better chance of fending off the Pirates) Otherwise the -1 Speed they each have can be a temporary nerf if Europe is a long way away.

Hi Dale nice job on the mod. I put together some files for the Mission symbol for Portugal in a Native village. Just was easier to post here I thought since I can make an attachment in thread. I hope you like it. Thanks again.

Just a question, have you considered editing the Carrack/Fluyt at all? In my personal game I have changed the XML files so that the Carrack has 4 Speed(Same as a Caravel) and the Fluyt has 4 Strength(So they have a better chance of fending off the Pirates) Otherwise the -1 Speed they each have can be a temporary nerf if Europe is a long way away.

The -1 speed is balanced by a +1 berth. :)

I'm addressing the pirate situation separately though.

I made some leaderhead buttons that I think look better than before and left a template in the rar file for others to work with. Let me know if you like them please.

Thanks for the files johny. :)

Top Bottom