Dune University 1

turnset 4; part 3 (~turn 229) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Poor Roma Atani. At these odds, there is not much she can do to prevent me from winning the war.
Spoiler :
Not much cash but this city will be a good beachhead for the war. I will attack Nagamima Ridge next while funneling new troops here in preparation for the assault on Sukka or Plastic Ridge.
Spoiler :
I transport a heavy trooper from Ix as a defensive garrison. I want to conserve my treasury, if possible (to gain maximum flexibility), but will probably need the remaining units to be transported to Siqubiyah Pass if I am to hold it.
Spoiler :
Where are you going? Another easy kill.
Spoiler :
Apparently, Margot feels Roma has zero chance of winning the war. Maybe letting her build the Landsraad Council wasn't such a good idea after all. I am forced to defy the resolution. A forced peace treaty would demolish my momentum and allow Roma to build more defenses before I could re-declare. Not cool man (but a very good tactic by the AI). If the resolution gets enough votes to pass, I will then get the -5 happiness penalty in all of my cities for defying it (the dreaded "the world considers you a villian"). Like I said, a very good AI tactic.
Spoiler :
Master Scytale decides to try and rid Dune of the Harkonnens. They are fairly evenly matched so I don't think much territory will change hands.
Spoiler :
A large force is approaching (although not shown in this picture) so I am forced to transport more defensive troops.
Spoiler :
Sorry, I can't afford to stop trading with the Harkonnens. Also, as I feared would be the case, I am now considered a villian. By raising my culture slider to 30%, I am able to prevent most of the resulting unhappiness (in conjunction with theatre halls which give +1 happy per 10% culture). Good shenanigan you just pulled on me Margot. :lol:
Spoiler :

Ix has founded Thinking Machines. I am thinking I will want to try for a Diplo win (after securing a few vassals) so I won't be adopting a religion this particular game. Since I will get another GP in 9 turns, Covert Operations will be researched next for the free Spymaster. I will start another golden age once New Vernii produces its next GP.
Spoiler :

Since I caught Roma offguard and her main stack is off fighting the Fremen, another lightly defended city falls prey to House Ix. I now control The Mudir Nahya's Dungeon. Nice! The goal is to now deal with Roma's stack camped outside of Siqubiyah Pass.

I am forced to defy the resolution.
You don't have enough votes to just vote it down? Anyone who is an enemy of Roma's will probably vote against it too, right? And aggressive civs are likely to vote against it?

I am thinking I will want to try for a Diplo win (after securing a few vassals)
Does the defy-council penalty wear off? Otherwise I would have thought that would be a dealbreaker for getting anyone else to vote for you?

You don't have enough votes to just vote it down?
No. Too many of the AIs are her friend and I don't have enough population to control the vote just yet. Early wars are like that unless you attack someone who is not well liked, which was not the case in this instance.
Does the defy-council penalty wear off?
It does once you vote for a successful resoulution. For example, if the next resolution is stop the war against Beast Rabban, and I vote yes, and the resolution passes, the penalty will go away.

That makes sense.

It does once you vote for a successful resoulution. For example, if the next resolution is stop the war against Beast Rabban, and I vote yes, and the resolution passes, the penalty will go away.

Thanks, I never really ignored the UN much in vanilla, so I forgot how it worked.

turnset 4; part 4 (~turn 237) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
The military production cities will get military academies built in them once I get a Great Burseg (from warmongering naturally).
Spoiler :
At the beginning of the turn, Roma's stack suicides on my defenses. I then go on to clean up what's left. Also, I trade Sandworms to Master Scytale for his world map and 110 gold. The 7th Ixian city (Cave of Riches) gets founded on turn 233 - it will be the last one that I actually settle myself. The following turn, I trade Mechanization to Margot for her world map and 1010 gold (a very good haul).
Spoiler :
Plastic Ridge is the next city to fall. I did get the free Spymaster from being the first to research Covert Operations. Military Elite (for kindjal soldiers) will be researched next. I made a meaningless map trade with the Bene Tleilax on turn 237 for giggles (although I think it still helps with diplo).
Spoiler :
The tech race on turn 237.

turnset 5; part 1 (~turn 249) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
I start a golden age so I can produce military units quicker. The capital will build the Assassin's Handbook next (for the EP boost) so this will help compensate for the fact one of my military production cities will be *offline*.
Spoiler :
I trade Arrakis Transformation to Paul for 60 gold (I really need cash at this point and he will get it next turn anyway). With the capture of Harmah Pan, Ix is now the score leader.
Spoiler :
Roma has no choice but to surrender. The first conquest is now complete. The plan is to heal up and start massing troops on the border with Master Scytale. He will be the next war target. He is close (thus better from an economic standpoint) and (more importantly) will be extremely valuable as a vassal since the Tleilaxu plague is nasty to have to deal with in a war. He doesn't have heavy troopers yet so the war with him should be relatively easy. Also, diplomatically, Master Scytale is isolated and a resolution to "stop the war" against him would not likely come close to passing.
Spoiler :
I am second in population. I know this because I have 87 votes compared to the leader (Margot Fenring with 89).
Spoiler :
Ecaz decides to peace vassal to Paul Muad'Dib. Might cause problems later on but nothing I won't be able to handle. I am also spreading Qizarate to the conquered House Ordos cities.
Spoiler :
After the conquest of the Bene Tleilax, I will need to build up a force of suspensor frigates/carriers with thopter support to be able to safely invade the Fremen. I will want air support since Paul will at least have heavy troopers by the time I can move against him. I have enough military (at least right now) for the coming war against Master Scytale so have begun building libraries/universities in preparation for building University of Arrakis.
Spoiler :
Interesting. Paul has pulled ahead in population (he is pursuing a terraforming victory and will have mammoth cities as a result).
Spoiler :
I notice Margot is researching Guided Artillery. I don't want her to get the free Great Scientist that is given to the first civ to research it. Therefore, I will be first to Guided Artillery.
Spoiler :
A Great Merchant is born and will be settled here. Al Basit is not the highest commerce city (IIRC) but will be the first to build a guild bank so this isn't that bad of a move (the guild bank will increase the yield shown once built). Thankfully, the world no longer considers me a villian (I guess there is a time limit - as long as you don't defy any more resolutions - as well?) so I crank up the science slider.
Spoiler :
I am still in control tech wise. Master Scytale, if he knew my plans for him, should probably research Vendettas soonish (maybe he wants to be my vassal). :cool:

The capital will build the Assassin's Handbook next (for the EP boost)
Did you use the EPs at all? No mention of espionage strategy at all here.

In my latest game as Ix I have stolen a number of techs.

Did you use the EPs at all? No mention of espionage strategy at all here.

In my latest game as Ix I have stolen a number of techs.
This game no. Normally, I would definitely want to steal tech (when playing Ix) since it is a very powerful strategy but in this particular game I have such a high science output that it is just quicker to self research (and trade for non-critical technologies). Still, being able to *see* what the AIs are researching, as well as making their espionage missions against me more expensive, justifies IMO the use of hammers to build Chamber of Visions (which with ore isn't that expensive anyway). The denial factor also plays a big part in the decision.

turnset 5; part 2 (~ turn 256) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
The invasion force. I have a super healer in the mix. If I wanted, my shield fighters (CR3) could be upgraded to kindjal soldiers, but not only is it not necessary but I would have to drop my science slider to 0% for a turn to get the money to upgrade. No reason to delay the war against Master Scytale.
Spoiler :
What you gonna do when I come for you? This same turn, Paul demands Academies (which I give him - 10 turns of forced peace is worth it). I also beg 1 gold from the Bene Gesserit to prevent her from interferring with the coming Tleilaxu war.
Spoiler :

Apparently, absolutely nothing (I like it this way).
Spoiler :
I vote no on the resolution to stop the war against Jester Fool. I don't think there are enough votes to force peace.
Spoiler :
Ha, ha - screw you Paul. You WILL BE next!
Spoiler :
Easy pickings. Nuff said.
Spoiler :

The Bene Tleilax capital falls to the might of Ix. I now control the Order of the Mentats - nice. I pay to have defensive units transported to New Bandalog courtesy of the Guild. The war should be over soon.
Spoiler :
There is no need to war further, the Bene Tleilax will make a good vassal. You really should have researched Vendettas sooner bro. :lol:

turnset 5; part 3 (~turn 268) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Beast Rabban decides he wants a piece of Paul Muad'Dib and his lackey the Archduke. Very fortunate for me since I plan on attacking Paul soon anyway and the war with Rabban will divert some of his troops.
Spoiler :
I gift Beast Rabban Landsraad so that I will be able to gift him Vendettas (later on) in case he gets into trouble pursuing his ill advised war with Paul. It would be a huge mistake to allow the Harkonnens to capitulate to the Fremen. Once I take enough cities from the Fremen, I should have enough votes to secure a diplo victory. Things are going quite well.
Spoiler :
Since Roma has no chance to break free (unless she loses too many cities), I gift her Vendettas so she can upgrade her units to heavy troopers. I want her strong for the coming conflict with Paul. I get another huge break when House Ecaz decides they don't want to be the Fremen's lackey any longer.
Spoiler :
Paul tries to get the war against him stopped. The war continues on (in your face Paul). I go ahead and trade Sapho juice to Master Scytale for Caladanian wine. He already has mentats built and now they will give +5 XP instead of +3 XP to the units he will build once the war starts. Go team Ix!
Spoiler :
Orbital Comms Network can be built in one turn thanks to the two Great Techman I possess. I trade Vendettas to Master Scytale for Mobile Armor so he now can build heavy troopers as well. Research path will be Military Complex->Galactic Religion. I will start building fish speakers (my favorite unit in the game) as soon as Galactic Religion is done researching.
Spoiler :

Sorry Paul, time to die. The first city falls easily but I expect heavier resistance in his core city holdings.

View attachment du1-endturnset5.CivBeyondSwordSave

The picture loading is starting to lag a bit - so please be patient. I'll try to keep pictures to a minimum (until the next page) but really, a picture is worth a thousand words (especially now at the end of the game).

turnset 6; part 1 (~turn 274) :
Spoiler :
The turnset starts with Paul trying to pass a resolution stopping the war against him. I vote no of course - he doesn't have the votes for the resolution to pass so I don't have to defy it (which I would if he did). There will be no peace until Paul is in chains along with my other lackeys. Beast Rabban decides he wants Guild Banking from me and right now, it doesn't matter whatsoever. I gladly take the peace treaty caving to his demand gives me. I gift Personal Shields to Master Scytale and trade the tech to Roma for 110 gold and her world map.
Spoiler :
Building the War Institute is kind of overkill at this point but it is relatively cheap and I have wonderwhored anyway so why not.
Spoiler :

The first kindjal soldier gets a lucky win but I lose the next attack at 71.35% odds. The rest is easy (97%+ odds will do that) and Ix captures another Fremen city. I have the Guild transport two kindjal soldiers to Sietch Makab and will now upgrade my units while healing in preparation for the next attack. I trade the friendly Archduke burro weed for creosote bush to increase the health of my cities (since higher pop = more votes). I have plenty of happiness (and could raise the culture slider if needed) but the extra health is most welcome.
Spoiler :

Both the Temple of Alia and The Great Processor are built. I haven't been spreading either religion but both shrines are excellent. If Thinking Machines would have been founded in the capital (which is my research center), I would have prioritized spreading the religion to every city. +17 science/+25% science on top of the other multipliers would be huge. I am still happy with the modest shrine benefits I do get.
Spoiler :

Master Scytale joins in on the fun. His stack is not too impressive but at least Paul is bombing his stack instead of mine. I go ahead and suicide the missile launcher (for the collateral damage) and the next attacks are easily won. Ixian striders clean up the mess and Gara Gulon falls into the hands of Ix. A few more cities, and Paul should capitulate.

Both the Temple of Alia and The Great Processor are built. I haven't been spreading either religion but both shrines are excellent.
Cool, glad you think so. The idea was that the shrines of the late-game religion need to be more powerful, in part to make it worth spreading these religions.

The idea was that the shrines of the late-game religion need to be more powerful, in part to make it worth spreading these religions
I don't remember exactly how powerful they used to be but the current design is very good. Thank goodness for auto-spread. I actually should have spread both religions to maximize the payoff.

turnset 6; part 2 (~turn 288) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
A Great Burseg is born in Jizran Pass after capturing the Fremen city of Gara Kulon. He builds a military academy which boosts military production by 18 hammers. Nice. IIRC, all three military production cities now have military academies in them. I am able to easily win election as Chairman of the Landsraad council. Margot Fenring declares on Beast Rabban again - she really doesn't like him it would seem. :lol: He wants me to join the war against her but I have to decline. It's not like I am not busy at the moment. Not surprisingly, She razes one of his polar cities a few turns later.
Spoiler :
Tasmin Sink is the next addition to the Ixian empire. Since a strong vassal is a useful vassal (and more importantly - he can never break free), I trade Master Scytale Holtzmann Generators for his (useless) world map and 220 gold. The gold is used to transport a medium scorpion to Tasmin Sink from the Ixian homeworld.
Spoiler :
It would be a disaster if Beast Rabban were to capitulate to the Bene Gesserit. She is definitely strong enough, so I have no choice but to bribe her out of war with him. I am not too worried about House Ecaz since he is so weak.
Spoiler :
The Fremen are easily shooting down my firefly bombers (pretty much as soon as I build them) but hopefully dragonfly bombers (once I have researched Aerial Tactics) will fare better. Mines are already being built on the stravidium resources that finishing Plasteel revealed.
Spoiler :
Margot finished War Institute before me but the 483 fail gold is still worth it. I have plenty of units that need upgrading. Coanua is no more. Good job Roma! I find it hysterically funny that she razed the city.
Spoiler :
The AIs are far, far behind in tech. My science output is 1273 beakers/turn at 65% science. Sorry Margot, Suk School is too late to even put a dent in the gap.
Spoiler :
The invasion force unloads next to Sietch Abbir and will attack next turn. Beast Rabban captures an Ecaz city to bring his total up to three. I am surprised he has lasted this long. Feeling a sense of pity, I propose a resolution to stop the war against him.
Spoiler :
Wingap Sietch gets razed by Master Scytale. Do my vassals have some kind of fetish with the number "4"? Yea Paul, suck on Tleilaxu plague. Hahahaha!!
Spoiler :
Meanwhile back at the ranch, a huge blow to the Fremen is struck. Losing a size 24 city is not the best way to win a war.
Spoiler :
Beast Rabban has suffered brain damage apparently. I tried to help you buddy. Surely he knows his days are numbered right?
Only one part left to go. Till then..the spice must flow. :king:

Beast Rabban has suffered brain damage apparently.
I wonder if peacekeeping votes are based on AI aggressiveness parameters; Rabban is the most aggressive of all the leaders, so it wouldn't surprise me that he'd ignore peace-keeping.

Since spoilers are pointless now (and have been for some time :lol:) I'll just finish up the game write up.

Nothing of note going on - just standard troop upgrades/healing in preparation for the next city assault. Finishing Galactic Religion, tech path will be Lasgun Weaponry->Focused Lasbeams. Fremen razzia raiders are pillaging my spice tiles (used to be theirs) which is very annoying (but fun to do when playing the Fremen).
Spoiler :
Talk about a money maker. Guild bank FTW.
Spoiler :
Master Scytale is doing nicely..as my loyal ally. The Hajj isn't going to do much for me (since I never adopted a religion) but whatever. No sense in letting anybody else build it.
Spoiler :
Anything you want is cool with me Roma - thanks for razing one of Paul's cities. I think I gifted tech to Scytale as well (or maybe he is just happy sharing our glorious war with the Fremen? - don't exactly remember which.) Beast Rabban is still hanging tough. Good for him.
Spoiler :
I just have too much land and production capacity (and veteran army) for Paul to contend with. The capture of Hobars Gap births another Great Burseg who promptly goes to sleep. I could always make another super medic but why bother?
Spoiler :
The game is in the bag. I find Paul's anger towards me amusing. :cool:
Spoiler :
The vote is as expected and the game is won.
Spoiler :

Victory stuff. For anybody who wants to check out the save game View attachment du1-endofgame.CivBeyondSwordSave

Hopefully, this write up has been an interesting read. The game sure was fun. Time to finish playing DU 3 'cause a new beta patch is on the way. :) Thanks to the Dune Wars modding team for such an outstanding mod - it really is a joy to play! :goodjob:

@God-Emperor : Maybe the write up? I am a slow player but I do like to tell a good story; I have played Final Frontier Plus - it is a good mod (I have it in case you are wondering) but I like Dune Wars because I have read the books (they are one of my favorite book series, besides Isaac Asimov). However, maybe I should do a Final Frontier Plus University?

Top Bottom