Bug reports

hey koma,

i have tried your dll,
and no doubt,

the crash went away.

and i also noticed that the ctd happens when i finish a tech ,
i have went through the tech file to look for errors - no luck, so your defenetly on to something.

so ill try to remove all unitai_assault_sea with the dll before your fix ctd hack, and see what happens.

but, the oddest thing is that i have a version that i converted that works well without a when i start merging stuff form 1.2 - only xml and python - the ctd reruns.
do you want me to upload this version?

david - you want us to have an sdk only consists of :
jimprovement
betterai
all terrain code alone
only?

"We" (you mostly) have spent many hours debugging this problem with no solution. I am only suggesting a way to reduce the number of variables and make the problem easier to solve. The features of revdcm and woc and the other mods are "nice", but the problem of an unsolvable crash is "bad". If I have to pick either a game which doesn't crash, or a game with bunch of extra buttons and features we aren't using, I will pick the game which doesn't crash.

Yeah, it would seem to make sense to start with a simpler DDL and add complexity as we need it for features. For example, when you want to use the features of SuperSpies or whatever you merge it in then.

hehe i cant say you guys have a point there.

but revdcm 2.5 is stable and the bug is somewhere with our work,

koma is right - i removed all the unitai_assault_sea - and the game is stable again - but the question is - why assault sea ??

david - in the python code - by any chance you did something to the unitai?

the wierdest thing is that i have a version that is stable and has assault sea in it, but it lacks many changes from v 1.2.

very very weird ctd, i have exp in ctds back from my days of visa mod,
but this is one of the weirdest bugs i saw.

david - in the python code - by any chance you did something to the unitai?

No, as far as I know there is no way to do that in python. Also I have pointed out that when I remove all my python code I still get the CTD.

What happens when you build a version which has everything except the changes made by koma13/Maniac/jdog for all terrain vehicles? Maybe this has a bad interaction with some AI change made in the 3.19 patch.

I'm pretty stucked now. :( I tried everything I can think of but this is a really weird crash.

The only vital change in CvPlayerAI::AI_bestTech from DW 1.1 to 1.2 is that AI_bestTech is declared now as const. Unfortunately that prevents me from making any custom logs from inside that function. This is a real bummer because it would have allowed me to see which tech is choosen and which unit is processed when crash is happening. :sad:

Presumably, because the CTD happens at a similar point in time each game, it is related to a particular tech which makes a new UNITAI_ASSAULT_SEA unit available...

i tend to agree,

im now testing to see exactly which uinit with unitai_assault_sea causes the ctd,

i discovered that some land units had this line so i removed it - it didnt help though,

but, right now im running a game text with only one unit that i left its line , and im on turn 400, no ctd, so lets cross fingers, that i can pinpoint the acctual unit that bring us this awful headache...

i barley know of all the progress you guys did, im working only on v 1.2, only when (and if) we eliminate the ctd, ill be free to merge all of your changes.

guys - heres a stable early version:

http://ul.to/b4eam4

see what can do with it.

humm...
well,
i think the uploaded file i posted is just the sdk of 1.1 , thats why it worked for me...

so,
im trying the vanilla revdcm dll, if the ctd occurs with it - then perhaps the ctd isnt located on the sdk afterall.

i narrowed it down to the naval units that have unitai _assault_sea that causes the crash.

darn, i dunno what to do.
i dont know what else i can do to get rid of the ctd without using koma's fix.

i dont uderstand, the revolution code works fine, why does in dune wars, theres a crash, i used python and rev's dll,with dunes xml, still got a crash, what the heck is missing/causing the crash?
a sound line? an art? god i wish someone can help - if i can solve this how can i proceed development?

Have you tried pointing every single unit to the Art Define of an early unit known to be fully functional. We should eliminate the possibility that the there is a graphical error related to a unit. Graphical CTDs are most often animation related.

I highly doubt a graphical problem is involved. Many people (hopefully all people) use civchecker, which catches all that stuff. I have run it on 1.2 and there are no problems found.

EDIT: oh, never mind. I was talking about *missing* animations, you were talking about *broken* ones. That is an excellent idea.

yeah,
i checked all the art,
didnt find any errors,

its so weird guys,
once removing the unitai_assault_sea from the naval units, the crash is gone, either that or komas fix above.

that makes no since,
i need an sdk/ctd expert on this.

maybe i can narrow it more down by adding part after part to the revdcm2.5 files - say ill start with just adding civcs, deleting the uus and ub, and test, if its goes well - go on adding units, then res and so on....maybe that will be some way to fix.
this will req time....

Have you tried pointing every single unit to the Art Define of an early unit known to be fully functional. We should eliminate the possibility that the there is a graphical error related to a unit. Graphical CTDs are most often animation related.

I ran a 1.2.2 game for 400 turns and it crashed. I edited unitinfos so that all the ART_DEF_something became ART_DEF_UNIT_LION. I ran a game with that for 400 turns and it still crashed. So I believe it is not due to broken unit animations. Good suggestion, though.

It's the Desert Industry tech. I disabled it and wasn't able to reproduce the CTD. :)

I agree! Great work! Specifically the Medium Hover. I removed just the drydock, still crashed. I put that back and removed just the MH, no crash! I have autoplayed 3 duel games for 400 turns with no CTD. My only change over 1.2 is removing the MH. I did not download any of the other misc debug versions.

I can't see anything unusual about the Medium Hover compared to other units. Maybe the problem is choosing among multiple units, but the next one Heavy Hover doesn't appear till 400+. Anyway removing the MH is a definite step up.

How did you find it? Just randomly deleting techs/units and replaying?

Well done koma!

It would be good to understand the issue with that unit otherwise:
a) There could be another similar unit lurking further up the tree.
b) We could create the problem again by adding a new unit, or editing an existing one.

But for now, well done again! :goodjob:

Top Bottom