The Sword of Islam 0.4.0 Discussion

I have Civ3, their war sounds for Middle East are Mesopotamian, both Early & Late ones...

Oh yeah, I know you have Civ3 ;) The only other mod I've played recently is Yoda Power's Twillight of Byzantium. When I realised it was linked to MEMII, everything made sense :)

Yeah, I listened to all of them and despaired a little at the war drums. The only ME track that sounded useful was the EarlyPeace one, which sounded a little like pre/early-Islamic Arabian music, but I don't know where you'd think of using that.

Was also a little disappointed to realise there are no GRLate tracks, I figure if they had made something for that it might've gone well for Byzantium and/or Crusaders.

The only wardrums I did find partly useful was the EarlyWar Asian track (I think it was the Early one). Sounded like it might go well for Mongols (if we had them), so not sure if you could use it for Timurids or even Khwarezm or Shaybanids. They're probably all too Turko-Persianised though I guess.

First, let me say this mod is really one of the sleekest Civ IV mods out there. It is really polished and fun.

I added the empire name "Norman Empire" for Antioch and changed iCrusader's empire name to the more specific "Frankish Empire". I also made it so checkName() is called when the capital is moved by building the palace rather than only when the capital gets conquered. (This might be better done by registering a separate onBuildingBuilt() handler in DynamicCivs.py rather than tacking the call on in Stability.py's handler like I did. But I am still unsure about performance implications, so I went with the simpler option.)

I left the "Latin Empire" tags because I would ultimately like for the name to be available to whichever of Antioch or Jerusalem manages to snatch the title Roman Emperor from the Byzantines (this would be more historically accurate).

The patches are diffs against the most recent release.

Attachments

• CIV4GameText_MEM_Civilizations.xml.diff.txt
    556 bytes · Views: 57
  • DynamicCivs.py.diff.txt
    428 bytes · Views: 65
  • Stability.py.diff.txt
    46 bytes · Views: 58
is there any reason in particular why capital-based civ names take precedence over empire and religious/non-religious civ names in DynamicCivs.py?

This diff of DynamicCivs.py includes the changes of the previous plus a reordering of the nested conditionals so religious and empire names take precedence over capital names.

Attachments

2.5 KB · Views: 52
Harun al-Rashid's war theme of Civ5 sounds Arabian by my opinion.
Maybe you can use that as a war theme for some civs?
I have heard that music somewhere else then in Civ5...

Which flip more than 50% of the cities...
How about this.
If Khwarezmids is HUMAN, Timurid spawn flipping Samarqand and spawn troops near the cities they should flip to.. ?

How about this:
You refuse the flip when the Timurids spawn.

Ah. I forgot about that option entirely .___.
How fool I just remember about that right now zzz --"

I am not entirely sure how vassalization of title holders is supposed to work. The Civilopedia entry for all of them says if the title is occupied, vassalize the holder, but this only makes sense for titles like Roman Emperor or Shahanshah where one civ can own the cities needed for the title, and then have another civ take the cities, but they can still keep the title, thus making vassalization necessary. The Mecca and Jerusalem titles are lost immediately when the city is conquered, so vassalizing the owner has no effect.

Also, while checkPlayerTitle() checks for vassalization, I can't find any call to checkPlayerTitle() from an onVassalState() handler. So this would mean if you took the required cities and then after vassalized the holder, you wouldn't get the title, unless you then lost one the cities and took it back. I have added such a handler to Titles.py, but I had trouble testing it, because onVassalState() doesn't fire when you change vassal states through the world builder. (But it does fire normally outside the WB.)

Attachments

• Titles.py.diff.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 44
  • CvRFCEventHandler.py.diff.txt
    47 bytes · Views: 46
OK, these diffs (which include the previous changes) implement the Latin Empire name changing. I tested it, and if Antioch vassalizes Byzantium and takes the cities, it gets the title and becomes the "Latin Empire," but if it itself gets vassalized by Jerusalem, it becomes the Duchy of Antioch (but keeps the title), then if Jerusalem also vassalizes Byzantium and takes the cities from Antioch, it becomes the new "Latin Empire."

(Updated to include Byzantium if it converts to Catholicism)

Attachments

• Titles.py.diff.txt
    379 bytes · Views: 53
    2.9 KB · Views: 71
I am not entirely sure how vassalization of title holders is supposed to work. The Civilopedia entry for all of them says if the title is occupied, vassalize the holder

Really? All of the requirements have always made sense to me. I'll have to check the pedia to see if Edead decided to change any of the wording when I get home, because that doesn't sound right.

Knight of Antioch flanking power against the Archer does not work: I won and survived the battle and killed one of the Archers, but the second one in the stack was not damaged :(

There's a problem with the stickyness of short names in DynamicCivs.py, one that is made worse by my changes, but was already present with Armenistan. For example, using the unpatched DynamicCivs.py, start a game as the "Kingdom of Armenia" and convert to Islam to become "Armenistan," then convert back and check the "Your Details" window. You will see that even though your name is back to the "Kingdom of Armenia," your short description is still "Armenistan."

The simplest way to fix this would be to give all civs generic short names that stick regardless of their vassal, religious, imperial or capital status. For example, Armenia could always have the short name "Armenia" even if they are Cilicia or Armenistan, and the Normans could always have the short name "Normans" even if they are the County of Edessa or Tripoli (like the Fatimids and Ayyubids do).

Where can I find documentation for the URVs? So far the only method I can see is to load up a civ and press F8.

That is the only in-game location that I am aware of.

URVs probably deserve more civilopedia text in their own section though - pressing F8 all the time is a bit clunky.

OK, I missed all of the discussion in that thread. Are the URVs the same for each Civ within the same religion? For instance will Georgia, Armenia and Byzantium have identical URV goals because they are all Orthodox?

OK, I missed all of the discussion in that thread. Are the URVs the same for each Civ within the same religion? For instance will Georgia, Armenia and Byzantium have identical URV goals because they are all Orthodox?

Yes, they have the same URV goals.

Maybe instead of giving each URV its own pedia page, have a "Religions" section which describes all eight of the religions, maybe listing some/all of the differences, and listing the URVs of course?

Because there's no reason to pre-place it. Founding date doesn't count. Nearly every city on the map was founded before 750 CE. If that was a factor, the whole map would have to be filled with pre-placed cities, and settlers would become obsolete. You have to think about founding cities as them becoming important game-play wise - it's the same with RFC and any mod-mod - if you look at RFCE, you also get an empty map that should actually be filled with hundreds of cities founded long before 600 AD.

Maybe we can put towns on historical city sites. And When you settle on cottage/hamlet/village/town, the city get some free production/building bonus, like: 1 hammer for every growth point(turns city worked on the cottage, so towns have 12+24+48)

Top Bottom