don't destroy enemy city ?

qmuddy2

Chieftain
when i beat the enemy the city was destroyed : is there a way to just take over the city without destroying it ? thanks

If an enemy city is new, still size 1 and not grown at all, then it will always be destroyed when you capture it. Once a city grows to size 2 or larger, you will have the option of keeping it or razing (destroying) it.

Now, if a city has grown to size 2 or 3, and during the course of the war you kill citizens or pillage their food so they starve, it might shrink to size 1. But since it has grown larger, it will not be destroyed when you conquer it (I'm pretty sure).

a guy in steam forum said the same thing !!! i'm a newbie, first city i've tried to capture !!! i'm finally having some success with this game as i'm the #1 civ, the walkthroughs helped a lot; thanks again

If a City has some culture or size 2+, than it will not be autorazed. Therefore capitals can be taken even at size 1. There longer you wait and the higher the difficulty setting, there more cities have size 2+ or some culture.

Now, if a city has grown to size 2 or 3, and during the course of the war you kill citizens or pillage their food so they starve, it might shrink to size 1. But since it has grown larger, it will not be destroyed when you conquer it (I'm pretty sure).

This is wrong. Whether or not a city has once in it's lifetime been size 2 or bigger does not matter for auto-razing purposes. Only culture matters here: if a city has accumulated 10 or more culture points under one of its previous owners, then it will not auto-raze when being captured at size 1. And it will also not be auto-razed, if the remaining citizen is of a foreign nation which you are currently at peace with. I've described this just a while ago here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13715290#post13715290

Yes it is culture. One other case is if the citizen in a size 1 town is native to you, it can be capture, regardless of culture. IOW you can recapture a size 1 if that was yours, if the pop is still your civ.

If an enemy city is new, still size 1 and not grown at all, then it will always be destroyed when you capture it. Once a city grows to size 2 or larger, you will have the option of keeping it or razing (destroying) it.

I think that a city even if grown to size 2 at an earlier time and now at size 1 will be lost if it has no culture . Similarly if a city at size 1 has culture it will not be destroyed.

yes, that is the way it is. in civ4 it works the other way.
t_x

Thanks for the corrections/updates! :goodjob::bowdown::clap:

Top Bottom