The Deity Challenge Line-up #42 - Portugal

sure, you can download any map you want , and just post the screenshot of the turn on which you got the win

Thank you for for the info stormtrooper412, time to play then !

SV T321

Spoiler :
So here is my first DCL post and also my first game as Portugal :
I settled on the spot since it was a continent map and it seemed like I was next to the ocean.
I built 2 scout to explore all this jungle but it was not worth it, I could only get 2 ruins : 1 pop + 1 map
I settled Porto in range of uluru, wanted my 3rd city to be on the right bottom corner but Guillaume was faster than me ... Porto was already stucked between Brazil and Netherland, so I decided to settle my 2 other cities close by so I can still enjoy cargos although the locations were bad (no extra luxuries and really tiny). I hoped the IA ( Brazil and Netherland )wont DOW me since I stayed behind the mountains.
I completed NC around T110, it took me a lot of tie to build library in all my cities, also tried to build Oracle but somebody built it 2 turns before I finish it ...
I had to bribe Pedro to attack the Netherland once when he got an army close to my borders, he trashed guillaume for the whole game.
I was using trade routes the whole game for cargos so I hadnt much gold during that game.
I struggled with happiness was mostly in the 0-10 range, sometimes shortly in negative, I built as much Feitora as possible.
I had to pick order since pedro picked it and was already almost dominant with me. My lv3 spy got killed on on my first coup.
I turtled till the end with no army except gifts from military CS
I have been able to build PT, Neuschwanstein and Hubble, I wanted to build the opera of Sidney also with a GE but it might have cost me the game.
I had to trade all the aluminium for the spaceship, I did trade with everybody in case if one of my aluminium provider DOW me.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 01.29.28.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 01.29.28.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 124
  • Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 02.02.48.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 02.02.48.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 02.02.55.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2015-10-28 à 02.02.55.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 70
Congratulation on your first DCL!

Interesting how different your game is compared to mine. I was pretty much unlimited by happiness entire game, above 60 at the maximum. I noticed how many academies you built, usually 1 is all you need unless there is special circumstances. The rest you save to bulb science near the end, for plastics or later. Also, don't be afraid to clear jungles with fresh water access for farms.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to save more GS from now, I know I have to but I find planting Academy and other GP more fun lol. This bad habit is certainly the reason why I never won Deity sub 300 except once a diplo victory where I bulbed all the way through Globalization.

First post, first DCL entry, and first Deity win as Portugal...

SV T317

Spoiler :

This is only my 4th or 5th Deity win, so I'm definitely no expert...

Thought I would try something a little different, and went with only 2 cities, just to see if I could pull it off. Incredibly peaceful game (for me). I didn't declare any wars, no wars were declared on me, and I didn't bribe anyone into war.

~T85 - NC
~T150 - reached average Tech
~T240 - finally outpaced Brazil in Tech

I was friends with both Brazil and the Netherlands the entire game. Had continuous RAs with them both from Education forward, along with Polynesia and the Inca for most of the time after T180 or so...

SP: Full Tradition, directly into Rationalism. Brazil went Order pretty early, and I was the second adopter of Order. The Netherlands went Order eventually as well, which effectively secured the peace for the rest of the game.

Wonders: Only had PT and HST, which is all I went for.

I hadn't played with Portugal much before, other than unlocking some achievements. Made good use of the Feitoria, but I thought the Nau was kind of useless (or I'm not using it correctly, which is highly likely).

If it hadn't been such a peaceful game, there would be NO WAY I would have won with only two cities, but, hey, a win is a win...

I still suck at post-Plastics game. I don't understand at all how people say you can win 30 turns after plastics. I have the money to buy the parts, and save ALL the GS, but never have enough to get through to the last tech. It takes me more like 50-60 turns :(

My early game means I can sometimes hit Plastics T180-190 on a good map, but after that, I fail.

I still suck at post-Plastics game. I don't understand at all how people say you can win 30 turns after plastics. I have the money to buy the parts, and save ALL the GS, but never have enough to get through to the last tech. It takes me more like 50-60 turns :(

My early game means I can sometimes hit Plastics T180-190 on a good map, but after that, I fail.

Perhaps this is where having a 4th or even 5th expo helps. I've done a 3city tradition before but I found my bpt seemed to cap at 1000. If I had a 4th city I'd probably have it around 1200.

Or it could be lack of great scientists. Maybe this is where having more faith helps you buy more Great People.

I won 43 turns after plastics, faith bought 2 GS. I believe you need more faith for GS if you want 30 turns. Actually I'm not sure, you might also get fewer natural GS earlier. I also want to know how you can win 30 turns after plastics.

We're facing the exact same issue, friend :lol:

even if I get plastics sub T180 which is quite possible, see Aztec DCL, I always seem at least 1-2 GS short of target. But I replied what I estimate would be the solution in the Gauntlet topic :)

@mc norris: congrats, a bold move to go only 2 cities :)

What I mean is that, all things being equal, I can get to within 10% of the effectiveness of an Acken-level player on Domination, and I'm getting better at knowing which Culture tech will be enough for a fast-ish influencing, and I've made progress with timing Diplo wins, I'm still pretty clueless with lategadme science for fast wins. Besides Poland, which was a total freak where all manner of crazy things happened to me, and was a replay with map knowledge, I've not gotten many good science wins. I want to be a lot better.

I'm still pretty clueless with late game science for fast wins.

Have you replayed this map for SV? If so, what was your win time? If not, would you expect SV to be faster than your Diplo win? This map has excellent players (Redaxe, GenuineRisk) only a little under T300.

If I win, I don't replay

Have you replayed this map for SV? If so, what was your win time? If not, would you expect SV to be faster than your Diplo win? This map has excellent players (Redaxe, GenuineRisk) only a little under T300.

Actually 250 should be a good benchmark for this map, which isn't too strong at all, but also not bad. Acken level players can probably get under 250. 250 is average for me on average map. Good civs/maps should be more like 220-230. Excellent plays can get earlier around 200-210, but personally I've never done as well. It is actually difficult to compare Diplo to SV win time also, due to the strong timing dependence on Diplo victory based on founding of WC via PP, and multiple ways to buy/gain votes for Diplo to increase win time.

Now I'm not a very fast warmonger, and would love to be as quick as consentient and others.

Yeah I rarely replay myself, unless a map is really really particularly good

Does missing a win change that for you? Before the DCLs, I never was much interested in replaying maps, win or loose. Except for a phase where I would replay maps that I won opening Liberty and playing wide. Darn if it was not the case each time that 4-city Tradition worked better for me!

But the DCLs now really having me trying maps several times. I think a lot of it is that the maps are of much higher interest than what the RNG typically provides. People wining maps that, if I were on my own, I would have thought unwinnable -- also provides great interest as well. Thanks guys!

This new habit of mine debunks one of my prejudices though. I had anticipated more consistency when replaying the same map, but with more experience, that really does not seem to be the case. This is even though I rarely start all the way back at T0. I guess chaos theory might predict that, but it does significantly degrade the learning opportunities I thought replaying would provide me...

This map has excellent players (Redaxe, GenuineRisk) only a little under T300.
Thanks, but I'm just okay and I basically only managed T289 on this map because of the observatory, good timing on Rationalism and controlled starvation at the end. My cities were puny (size 24 cap on a watery map... which is just terrible) because of bad management and tough luck on WLTKD. For some reason I also settled two GS and faith bought a GE instead of GS at the end. I originally figured that T250ish would be a strong time for this map and Sclb sort of proved that.

A pretty fast win, although I felt like the pace was slow up until Education, mainly because of many hammer-starved cities. But a coastal jungle cities can really boost late game science. Sadly, AI decided to propose (and passed) arts funding on first WC, and like Sclb, I also had no spies to catch stealing my tech despite being tech leader since t110-ish, so only had 1 rank 3 spy for coups.

T78 4 city NC
T100 Education
T139 Industrialization (rush-bought factories) -> T142 Freedom ideology
T150 Scientific Theory
T179 Plastics

Religion: Sacred path for culture from all jungle tiles(!), followed by growth and pagodas.

Policies: Tradition, commerce opener, rationalism top left, then both right, 6 Freedom, then commerce to Mercantilism, and finally rationalism finisher near the end.
Wonders: Leaning tower of Pisa, Porcelain Tower, Big Ben, Statue of Liberty and Hubble.

Spoiler :
Settled in place. Produced three settlers (with chop-rush) when cap was size 3 to settle four cities before t50. Built two scouts initially, but added another one when I realized the close quarters on this continent. Had to DoW William and Pedro early to steal workers and to block their expos (both had settlers out t20). Ended up with three workers from them in total and 1 from nearby CS, before I made peace with both when I had something to sell them (~t45). Met Inca ~t55, and barely managed to settle one city on their continent before they had gobbled up all land there. Everyone were friends on my continent since t80, and Inca joined the club around t120, followed by Hawaii around t150, so I managed 3-4 RAs most of the game. Fast growth of 5 cities, despite bad luck on all my initial WLTKDs (Crab and Dyes; bah!) meant that hapiness was a challenge until ideology, especially since most of the CS quests were garbage in this game, and the AIs had 150+ influence with almost all of them by t120. After Education, I therefore went straight for Navigation for the UI and for fast discovery of the other civs. I upgraded 9 tririmes to Naus in the hopes of reaping big rewards with my treasure fleet, but the UU turned out to be pretty underwhelming although I managed to identify the highest yielding place on the map.
After plastics, my timing could have been better, and my fpt was a little too low for 2GS+1GE, so I dared not rush SoL, which may have delayed me a bit, but I managed to get a total of 14GS (none planted; and no bulbing before plastics) and around 1400 bpt since t185, which meant a pretty fast tech progression after that. With >25 TP-jungle tiles, gold was no problem late-game, and I managed to buy all parts with around 200 GPT to spare.

Attachments

• t215 SV_1.jpg
    t215 SV_1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 77
  • t215 SV_2.jpg
    t215 SV_2.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 169
Top Bottom