Civ IV: Colonization

I had a weird background myself, I mean, I'm a pure wool Quebecois born and raised in the boonies in the middle of people like me, but I now live in Montreal in the middle of anglophones and I studied at McGill (anglophone university). In the end though, it's hard to imagine, for most people, how it is to be 6 millions of francophones in the middle of 350 millions of anglophones, and to be trying to keep your culture alive, at the same time seeing a lot of immigrants to Quebec choosing English instead of French, which is understandable considering the situation, especially if they were not aware of languages in Canada to begin with. So yes, it can appear to be paranoia, not too sure it is. Quebecois are certainly constantly under pressure to redefine their identity.
Don't worry about it, you're not alone.

The French the world over have been unable to cope with the fact that it is the English, not them, that spread their language to become a world-wide standard for a long time now.

At least it wasn't the Germans though...

I still don't quite get why it's called -Civ4- Colonization. Do you think maybe it works as an expansion?
It could be as simple as the fact that "Civilization" has more market/sales power than "Colonization". In addition, the two terms together probably are additive to some extent.

Wodan

Colonization was one of my favorite games - right up there with Civ, so I'm thrilled to hear this is coming out and can't wait to see it.
I'm not much for mods but I'm digging FFH lately and find it almost more fun than vanilla. It's considerably more than just a mod.
But then, one of the other titles of yesteryear that I miss a lot is MoM (Masters of Magic), which is one reason that I think I like FFH so much, it's somewhat MoM-like.
If someone were to revive MoM and other greats of old like X-COM, my PC gaming life would be so much sweeter.

Same feelings here. I am thrilled to hear about a new COL but if one remake would make me the happiest man on Earth, that would be a MoM remake. I have been desperate for a good fantasy TB game (AoW was nice but didn't really cut it).
If someone was to make a MoM mod, I'd gladly donate my time and (some of) my money.
(As for JA3 - we seem to share the same tastes -, wait and pray. But I'm getting really off-topic. Well, not quite as much as all the nationalist bickering that has been polluting the last pages...).

Don't worry about it, you're not alone.

The French the world over have been unable to cope with the fact that it is the English, not them, that spread their language to become a world-wide standard for a long time now.

At least it wasn't the Germans though...

I don't think anyone here has ever thought of anything like that. You're putting things in their brains that aren't there. I'm not sure what in my message, in the first place, made you say that. But let's not derail again.

Also, the 800X600 resolution was added in the expansion of Diablo II, not in a patch. Since that was asked...

No Portuguese AGAIN?? :wallbash:

What were they thinking??

They were lost in how awesome Holland is.

..:p yeah I agree, it's a tad silly Portugal ain't in.

It's set in North America, so it'd be silly to feature Portugal's colonies.

It's set in North America, so it'd be silly to feature Portugal's colonies.

Um, no. At least, not if the recreate the gameplay of the original. Assuming that to be true, it will portray the entire New World.

As a player of the original game, the scope of gameplay might actually be another buy/don't buy tipping point for me.

Civ IV is my first Civ experiance, but from what I've heard about colonization from this site and others this seems very intriguing. I've become a total Sid fan, so I think I'm going to buy almost anything he has his name on from now on.

Ha ha ha. Another one bites the dust ! ;)

It's great news, can't wait to play this new updated version.:)

Now we've only got SMAC II to go ! Hope Electronic Arts sell their rights to Firaxis/TTWO pronto.

No Portuguese AGAIN?? :wallbash:

What were they thinking??

Ha ha ha Oh boy, got to ask yourself if they have some bone to pick with Portugal ? J/K :lol:

You're right, I voted in the poll and Portugal should be in ColII.

Same feelings here. I am thrilled to hear about a new COL but if one remake would make me the happiest man on Earth, that would be a MoM remake. I have been desperate for a good fantasy TB game (AoW was nice but didn't really cut it).
If someone was to make a MoM mod, I'd gladly donate my time and (some of) my money.
(As for JA3 - we seem to share the same tastes -, wait and pray. But I'm getting really off-topic. Well, not quite as much as all the nationalist bickering that has been polluting the last pages...).

So... What about Fall from Heaven II. It´s a Mod (or better Total Conversion) of Civ 4 and it brings you everything you need for a superb fantasy TBS!
FfH II is now in its third year of development and was featured with a small scenario on Beyond the Sword, introducing the player to the new universe.

FfH II is a unique fantasy total conversion of CIV with 21 unique new civilizations and spells and armaggeddon and guilds and events and dragons and gods and whatever not.
It furthermore has over 1.000.000 views in the main threat and a whole Subforum with Subforums ;) and all in all around 300.000 downloads.
Give it a try, and start here in the FfH II Subforum:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

The Subforum has a lot of threads.

the stickied ones are the important ones:
FfH 0.32 Bug Thread has the link to the newest version and the actual patches.
FAQ for all your questions
The user created pdf Manual, giving you a great overview over the new mechanics, units, civs, etc.
The Art Team Blog Showing off some of the newest Custom Models.

Top Bottom