Another WW2 scenario

@Gedemon Thank you. I'm not sure if I'll be able to work on this again, but that info will help a lot if so. If this mod is ooc for good, I can take some solace in the fact that you have a high quality civ5 ww2 mod that has been upkept. That way if I get back to playing Civ 5 again, I can have some fun with the ww2 setting.

As for addressing the issue of updating this beast of a mod, I very much doubt I'll be able to do it anytime soon (or perhaps ever even). I spend too much time on a keyboard/mouse at my job now, and coming home and using a keyboard/mouse for hours on top of that leads to Tennis Elbow for me. That's a pain that I don't want to deal with again for sure. If any of you have had that before, you know what I'm talking about.
If anyone wants to attempt to make some major changes or update it on their own, like KPS indicated a month or so back, feel free to do so. If you need a file of some sort, then just send me a pm about it.
Otherwise I'd just say try out Gedemon's ww2 mod for civ 5, or perhaps take a look at a game I played for a while called "Making History 2: The War of the World". It's definitely grand strategy ww2, and it's less system intensive than civ 5. this means you don't have to worry about the game crashing on you. A couple complaints I have with it are that the animations are almost non-existent (not that big a deal), and the interface is wretched (quite cumbersome/annoying). That's too bad too, cause it would be a great ww2 strategy game if the ui was designed better.

So, glad to see some were able to enjoy the mod for a while longer. I'll try to check back later this week.

Ermmm guys? does this mod still work with gods and kings? I just got my copy both of civ 5 GOTY and gods and kings expansion and so I have never played civ 5 vanilla. This is THE mod I wanna play, it looks and sounds so damn cool, but I just can't seem to play it!

At first I got the assertion failed alert which I troubleshooted by opening it with world builder, clicking save, and then exiting it.

NOW, I get to the load screen, choose my nation, it all works fine, even gets until the load screen... then a pop up occurs and tells me that civ 5 has stopped working.........

Does this still work with gods and kings?

When I try to open WorldWarIIGiantEarthV3.Civ5Map with WB I always get some loading error. I can open any other map except this one.

When I try to open WorldWarIIGiantEarthV3.Civ5Map with WB I always get some loading error. I can open any other map except this one.

The map should be viewable under the right circumstances. At the very minimum you could always get the bare map by starting a vanilla game on the map, and then once the game starts, saving the map as a new file. Then just open the bare map file you created in WB.

That useful if you want to create your own custom scenario using the map layout. It takes a bit of work to rebalance things like resources and whatnot though. I'll attach an example of one I rebalanced myself for a God and Kings game if anyone wants to mess around with it.

To load it with everything preset for the scenario, you would need to have all the correct DLC activated so that things like unit/civilization IDs match up correctly. That's generally not worth the time trying to do at this point.

Attachments

• Giant_Europe_1.zip
    28.1 KB · Views: 336
Rhett - I'm a new member to this forum but not to the game - I've been playing Civ since 93... and right now I'm dying to play this scenario after all what I've read, but cannot load it for some reason.

The mod installed perfectly - two nice active green arrows for this scenario. Problem is that on my Civ 5 menu I don't even have "custom load" so I use "setup game", then I load the map (which I manually pasted into the game's "maps" folder) using "advanced setup" (map shows up as WWII F.E.C V3). However when I click on "load scenario", I get Queen Elizabeth and it throws me in 3000BC as an ordinary game would.

Could you please help me out? Thanks!

I installed the MOD, everything went exactly as in the instructions up until the part where you get the "Assertion failed..." error. I then followed the troubleshooting but after I activate the mods in World Builder and then click Load and browse to the first folder map. when I load it, all I get on the "map screen" after 2 seconds of seeing the loaded map from above are 2 red lines in diagonal over the screen and a white background - it errors - I can't even load the map in World Builder to save it and try again. What should I do?

Hey guys, I've looked into getting this scenario back to a functional state a couple times since civ5 has been updated and also received its expansion.

The truth is I'm not able to get myself back to where I was about 6 months ago when I was routinely working on this. Back then I considered working on this to be hobby of sorts where it was actually fun for me. Now it would be plain old work. It's fun to make progress on a mod when you can just sit down and add things here and there to improve on it. It's not so fun to troubleshoot though, and that's all I would be doing for quite some time with this ww2 mod.
The amount of time/frustration necessary has gotten too high. I'd have to go in and fix a ton of IDs for units, custom civs, and who knows what else. That's just the start too...

So, I will just have to say the scenario is pretty much in graveyard status now. I'll add this to the OP. Sorry to those of you who really wanted to try this out, but found it a few months too late.

Slight problem. When I open my mods folder the game only unpacks/installs the WWII European theatre mod and not the FEC core mods.

Hi, I have followed all instructions and yet it is not working. I cannot launch the game from "custom game" menu (I cannot pick a Civ there) and in "Setup Game" I cannot find the WWII map to load the scenario. Please help.
I manually moved the map and it worked, yet there is still a major problem.
After pressing Load Scenario, I am only able to pick America, Greece, and some others. THE SCROLL BAR IS NOT THERE and so I'm unable to choose any other nation such as Russia for example.
I also cannot use "Advanced Setup" because it is closed when I load the scenario.

I am having problems with this. I install everything and it does not work "assertion" I also try to load the map in World Builder but it does not load and gave me an error. I just can't get this working for some reason's. I can play this without the map but just can't play when i load the scenerio. So I am playing with all these WW2 civ's on a 4000BC world map with nothing. Just dunno why it crash "assertion" when load the scenerio.

Hi, I have followed all instructions and yet it is not working. I cannot launch the game from "custom game" menu (I cannot pick a Civ there) and in "Setup Game" I cannot find the WWII map to load the scenario. Please help.
I manually moved the map and it worked, yet there is still a major problem.
After pressing Load Scenario, I am only able to pick America, Greece, and some others. THE SCROLL BAR IS NOT THERE and so I'm unable to choose any other nation such as Russia for example.
I also cannot use "Advanced Setup" because it is closed when I load the scenario.

I have followed all instructions too and it is not working. Any ideas?

the germans dont have railroad?? like what the hell is up with ur tech tree also it takes me 17 turns to get railroad?? in 1939... the mod looks great but in order for the game to be fun, i cant b learning refrigeration in 1945... and the amount of turns it takes to build anything is just to long... plus i cant build any navy units or land units because we have no oil over all the german part of ur scenario is all wrong and really lacks work

That link would indeed be broken by now, as I've done nothing with it in ages. The mod would not work even if the link was somehow still valid regardless.

I started messing with the advanced xyz unit mods for civ, and suddenly have an urge to try to get this heap functional again. If only for the sole reason that I might be able to play it once more.

Thanks. Yes, that's the plan. I have some time this summer to work on a project or 2, and this is the perfect choice. My worst enemy is the extreme disorganization that the mod files were made in. Blech, wish I could go back and tell myself 3 years ago to not just throw stuff together.

creator i thank you for this ww2 mod !

i have been in the same game for 4 days now im on ww2map3
TURN 151 im sure usa units are still bombing while the leaders go through there turns attacking . then the game crashes ?

i have the saved file from turn 147-151 i have loaded up 147 got usa to make peace with spain to try to stop the attack from takin place ... had to ask japan to attack usa to shift usa units to the other side of the map :lol:
im playing as we speak so if i manage to get past 151 ill be happy but if not .. can you take a look at my saves ?:scan: pleaseeee

Top Bottom