Should Brazil's Pracinha be stronger?

Sharples

Prince
I seem to find it lacking, first off it is supposed to help with Brazil's UA, but it becomes too late in the game and the golden ages start to increase, I've only ever seen the Pracinha give around 20 golden age points for each kill, and as an Emperor/Immortal player, I find this very hard to kill increasingly advanced units and other infantry themselves.

Now if you look at Americas UU, the Minute Man. It gets three very important bonuses plus the extra scouting ability from the beginning, it gets no movement from terrain cost, drill I and Golden Age points with no extra production cost. While Brazil only gets Golden age points and their production is the same as an Infantry.

I don't have anything wrong with Americas abilities, but compared to Brazil it seems like they just threw Brazil in a bin...

Since this ability to earn Golden Age points from kills used to be unique to Brazil's UU, and then they also gave it to another UU, they should probably give Pracinhas (or Brazil) something else to compensate. Just my feeling about it.

I got 70 golden age points when I (last week) played Brazil. But that is academic, it is still quite 1) non-unique (perhaps not that important, but still a factor), 2) week (since it is for a kill and you need a lot during the atomic era). They could at least had given them bonus for fighting in jungle, since Brazil will most likely be in that area.

For a while I was convinced that they also got a 20% foreign lands bonus that made them amazing... but then I realised everytime I've played Brazil I've picked Volunteer Army and upgraded the Foreign Legions instead of building any myself... D: That said these units are amazing in that situation and with that promotion, shame you only get six! :p

The amount of Golden Age points Pracinhas and Minuteman (AKA COPYCAT!) give on kill is depending on the opposing unit's strength. Kill a unit with 42 combat strength = 42 happiness points.

Perhaps start with Drill/Shock I? I mean, it's something, and with enough xp buildings, it's a faster road towards March.

Still better than the comparison between Conquistador and Mandekalaru's.

Conquistador has the same stuff and two abilities on top of that + settling.

Yeah, I think the Pracinha is pretty underwhelming as it stands now. In theory the Golden Age points are worth more to Brazil than America (or anyone else), so the Pracinha is more valuable in that regard.

Sadly, upgraded Minutemen do everything a Pracinha does and more, plus they can do it much much earlier. The only pitfall for the Minuteman is that you have to build them in the sometimes-narrow window between Gunpowder and Rifling. Brazil will have more opportunity to build Pracinhas, and at a time in the tech tree when there aren't Culture Wonders to compete for.

Giving them a foreign lands bonus would fit the theme of the unit, namely to go get involved in someone else's war for the GA points.

Brazil's UA is powerful enough that it doesn't need any boosts to its UU.
On a low enough level (one low enough to build all the world wonders containing theming bonuses), you could probably win the game before reaching the tech for their UU anyway.

Still better than the comparison between Conquistador and Mandekalaru's.

Conquistador has the same stuff and two abilities on top of that + settling.

Conquistador cost more then a knight while Mandekalaru cost less.

Both Mandekalaru and Pracinha gets boosted with their UA's which fits both units pretty well.

The UU is darned near useless IMO
OB and routes give +80% (you lose both while at war)
GA gives +100% (because it is not multiplicative, but additive with all the other modifiers, it provides merely a 10% total increase (200% opposed to 180%) against civ you war against)
And it's not like you cant generate a GA normally, without warring...

their jungles and camps mean low production, which makes producing infantry and warring not a very effective course of action.

I say also give them the ability to gain culture or gold from enemy killed and we might talk... but as it is I never build them in my games.

the +golden age point from killing is bad right now, because it only gave equal amount to enemy's strength. on atomic era, you'll need at least 2000 to get another golden age.
to actually get a golden age before winning the game, the point gained should be at least double the enemy strength.

Well, a good way to put them in use late game is destroy anyone who is close to victory with the units. That will benefit you.

Solution: play a low difficulty, get two or three eras ahead of everyone, then destroy them all with a mountain of pracinhas :goodjob:

I kind of agree with the pracinha needing more strength but then they would have to increase the hammer and gold cost to make them. I had pracinhas stand against bazookas and Comanche riders once and although they were giving me golden ages, I couldn't get them to heal as much. I had to get the xcom squads to help them out.

Top Bottom