Great Prophet: No Option to Spread Religion

ferretbacon

Obsessor
I tried looking for an answer before posting this, but I wasn't turning anything up.

I'm using my Great Prophet to tour Polynesia's empire -- I converted two cities and now I'm at his capital. The only problem is that I have no option to convert, even though I have two uses left. I'm certain that I'm adjacent to the city.

The only theory I have (besides a bug) is that Emperor difficulty level has some sort of restriction on converting Holy Cities (I've been playing on King).

At a loss, really. Would like to cut the head off the snake, as he's really playing an aggressive religious game (two Great Prophets and five Missionaries all entered my line of sight in one turn).

:confused:

Edit
Err... resolved it. Suddenly got the option again after waiting a few turns. Must have been some sort of minor bug. /closethread

I could be wrong, but I was left with the understanding that you cannot religiously convert the capital city of any Civ.

Probably made that way because it is considered a "holy city" and it would leave the player (AI or Otherwise) the inability to be able to spread his religion if you religiously conquered his other cities.

You can convert a rival holy city with a great prophet. The rival religion ends up with 0 cities converted in the religion screen if the holy city is the last city of its religion.

Sounds like an Inquisitor was preventing it. You need more than that one shot at his Holy City though. If he's rolling with 2 GPs and 5 missionaries he'll flip them right back. If you really want to win the religious war against an AI like that you need to burn his empire to the ground then take his Holy City. After you own it hit it with an Inquisitor and then Great Prophet back to back and you'll have truly eliminated the Holy City for that religion. Of course it could still come back if there are other cities exerting pressure.

^The thing with inquisitors is that you could use them in your own cities and not in other cities.

Err... resolved it. Suddenly got the option again after waiting a few turns. Must have been some sort of minor bug.

This makes it sound all the more like a nearby inquisitor. Did you have LoS on all tiles around the capital?

Ok I'm boggled...So u mean all this time I did not have to "Spend" my inquisitor? Just his presence alone wards off converters?!!

Yes, that is correct. I thought it just scared off the AI, but I found when trying to (temporarily) convert one of my own cities with a captured GP that the spread option is actually disabled when an inquisitor is inside or next to a city.

This makes it sound all the more like a nearby inquisitor. Did you have LoS on all tiles around the capital?

Yes, that is correct. I thought it just scared off the AI, but I found when trying to (temporarily) convert one of my own cities with a captured GP that the spread option is actually disabled when an inquisitor is inside or next to a city.

Oh wow. There was an Inquisitor, I just didn't know that they did that. The turn that he moved away was the turn I was able to convert again.

Does he have an inquisitor in the city? I don't think you can convert cities with inquisitors in it.

This is certainly the issue. You indeed cannot convert a city with an Inquisitor stationed in it. The Great Prophet's "convert" option will be grayed out if you try.

This is certainly the issue. You indeed cannot convert a city with an Inquisitor stationed in it. The Great Prophet's "convert" option will be grayed out if you try.

How about if you don't have your own religion, but rather have had cities converted to a rival civ's religion, and you happen to like it? If you buy an inquisitor from a city with that religion, would he stil protect that city from the conversion attempts of other civ's?

Havent' tried it myself, but it can be pretty annoying to miss out on religion, and then have civ's come in left and right flipping you back and forth. Particularly when one of them has Just War.

The purchased Inquisitor will have the religion of the city in which it is bought, and should deter missionaries and GPs of other religions.

How about if you don't have your own religion, but rather have had cities converted to a rival civ's religion, and you happen to like it? If you buy an inquisitor from a city with that religion, would he still protect that city from the conversion attempts of other civ's?

If you miss on founding, but have just one city with a religion you like, it is pretty straightforward to spread that religion to your other cities. If there is GP and missionary spam, you have to go pretty slow because that first inquisitor you need to park. Otherwise, 1 inquisitor + 1 missionary spread will be enough to convert most cities. Sometimes you don’t even need the missionary.

Do inquisitors also block spreading religion to cities outside of your own territory? Can I stop another civ from spreading their religion to my neighbour that I have converted by keeping a few inquisitors around to make sure no 'funny business' goes on?

Do inquisitors also block spreading religion to cities outside of your own territory? Can I stop another civ from spreading their religion to my neighbour that I have converted by keeping a few inquisitors around to make sure no 'funny business' goes on?

Inquisitors only work in your own territory. And to use them to stop GPs or Missionaries from spreading religion, they need to be parked inside the city...so that wouldn't work outside of your own cities, either.

Inquisitors do not need to parked inside the city. It is sufficient if they are in a tile immediately adjacent to the city center tile (ring 1).

Top Bottom