SGOTM 21 - Xteam

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 21 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

You can find the Game Details in the first posts of the Maintenance Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, they will be posted in that thread.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck with the game, and - Have Fun! :)

Welcome to Dhoomstriker, welcome back to Folket and neilmeister. :wavey:

And welcome to my XTeam mates CP, Htadus and Hawk. :thumbsup:

I've made a test save but it is on my other computer. If no one posts one, I'll get it up as soon as I get a chance to go home. :)

Turnset Reports
Turn 0, 4000 BC - Turn 4, 3840 BC, played by neilmeister
Turn 4, 3840 BC - Turn 14, 3440 BC, played by neilmeister
Turn 14, 3440 BC - Turn 28, 2880 BC, played by neilmeister
Turn 28, 2880 BC - Turn 33, 2680 BC, played by neilmeister
Turn 33, 2680 BC - Turn 34, 2640 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 34, 2640 BC Interim Narration, by The-Hawk
Turn 34, 2640 BC - Turn 37, 2520 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 37, 2520 BC - Turn 41, 2360 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 41, 2360 BC - Turn 45, 2200 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 45, 2200 BC - Turn 50, 2000 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 50, 2000 BC - Turn 56, 1760 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 56, 1760 BC, played by Folket
Turn 56, 1760 BC, played by Folket
Turn 56, 1760 BC - Turn 58, 1680 BC, played by Folket (read 3 messages in a row)
Turn 58, 1680 BC - Turn 60, 1600 BC, played by Folket
Turn 61, 1560 BC - Turn 62, 1520 BC, played by Folket
Turn 62, 1520 BC - Turn 65, 1400 BC, played by Folket
Turn 65, 1400 BC - Turn 69, 1240 BC, played by Folket
Turn 69, 1240 BC - Turn 70, 1200 BC, played by Folket
Turn 70, 1200 BC - Turn 71, 1160 BC, played by Folket
Turn 71, 1160 BC - Turn 74, 1040 BC, played by Folket
Turn 74, 1040 BC - Turn 77, 950 BC, played by Folket
Turn 77, 950 BC - Turn 78, 925 BC, played by Folket (read 2 messages in a row)
Turn 78, 925 BC - Turn 79, 900 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 80, 875 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 81, 850 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 82, 825 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 83, 800 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 83, 800 BC - Turn 86, 725 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 87, 700 BC - Turn 88, 675 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 88, 675 BC - Turn 89, 650 BC, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 89, 650 BC - Turn 92, 575 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 92, 575 BC - Turn 99, 400 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 99, 400 BC - Turn 110, 125 BC, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 110, 125 BC - Turn 115, 1 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 115, 1 AD - Turn 118, 75 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 118, 75 AD - Turn 122, 175 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 122, 175 AD - Turn 124, 225 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 124, 225 AD - Turn 125, 250 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 125, 250 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 125, 250 AD - Turn 126, 275 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 126, 275 AD - Turn 127, 300 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 128, 325 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 128, 325 AD, played by Folket
Turn 128, 325 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 128, 325 AD - Turn 129, 350 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 129, 350 AD - Turn 130, 375 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 130, 375 AD - Turn 133, 450 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 133, 450 AD - Turn 136, 520 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 136, 520 AD - Turn 141, 620 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 141, 620 AD - Turn 142, 640 AD, played by Folket
Turn 142, 640 AD - Turn 143, 660 AD, played by Folket
Turn 143, 660 AD - Turn 144, 680 AD, played by Folket
Turn 144, 680 AD - Turn 145, 700 AD, played by Folket
Turn 145, 700 AD - Turn 146, 720 AD, played by Folket
Turn 146, 720 AD - Turn 147, 740 AD, played by Folket
Turn 147, 740 AD - Turn 150, 800 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 150, 800 AD - Turn 152, 840 AD, played by Folket
Turn 152, 840 AD - Turn 153, 860 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 153, 860 AD - Turn 154, 880 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 154, 880 AD - Turn 158, 960 AD, played by Dhoomstriker
Turn 158, 960 AD, played by Cactus Pete
Turn 158, 960 AD - Turn 159, 980 AD, played by Cactus Pete

Test Saved Games
Turn 0, 4000 BC test saved game
Turn 4, 3840 BC test saved game
Turn 14, 3440 BC test saved game
Turn 28, 2880 BC test saved game
Turn 33, 2680 BC test saved game
Turn 34, 2640 BC test saved game
Turn 37, 2520 BC test saved game
Turn 41, 2360 BC test saved game
Turn 45, 2200 BC test saved game
Turn 50, 2000 BC test saved game
Turn 56, 1760 BC test saved game
Turn 58, 1680 BC test saved game
Turn 60, 1600 BC test saved game
Turn 69, 1240 BC test saved game
Turn 77, 950 BC test saved game
Turn 78, 925 BC test saved game
Turn 80, 875 BC test saved game
Turn 82, 825 BC test saved game

Attachments

• XTestB BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    55.5 KB · Views: 152
:dunno: Depends upon how badly Swede wants Unusual Suspects.

Beware how specific you make a test save name as it can confuse BUFFY (real game versus test game), then we'll be in real trouble.

Good luck everyone! I hope you'll enjoy the game and I hope you'll be a nice target for my civ voyeurism.

Ladys and tasks

Elizabeth ("Elizabeth wants to be treated like the queen she is. You need to impress her with unique status symbols, like...")
a) Rename the proudest ship ever to sail the oceans after her and gift it to her (needs at least 50xp to be worthy) done here
b) Build a huge statue of her and celebrate it with the biggest party of all time (construct The Colossus, Christo Redentor or The Statue of Liberty during a Golden Age that has at least 11 turns left at time of completion)(not the whole construction needs to happen during the GA, just the completion)
c) Bring her all the luxuries of the world (gift her at the same time: Gold, silver, gems, ivory, fur, pearls(clam), wine and silk. If she already has some, ignore these.)

Isabella ("Isabella is all into romantic gestures. My first suggestion to win her heart would be...")
a) Have the most brilliant minds of your time explain to her that your love is pure, true and eternal (bring one artist, scientist and prophet to her capital and gift them to her)
b) Build her a luxurious summer residence (Gift her a city built on desert and next to the coast or an oasis that has an Odeon, a Grocer and a Castle), you must be at +3 relations with her when you gift this city.
c) Invent a whole new style of music to express your love and let the whole world hear it (Construct Rock N Roll and gift all Singles away for free, or gift Singles to all players alive)
done here
Catherine ("Catherine's heart has to be conquered. You will have to prove your might to her by...")
a) Take control of the worlds most important resources: Control 4 aluminum, 6 uranium and 10 oil resources (control = have inside your borders and connected to your trade network)
b) Prove your might with a military parade in her honor (have the following units in her capital at the same time: 12 armored units, 4 air units and 12 gunpowder units, commanded by a general (unconnected)) done here
c) Be the first to get a serious Space Program running (be the first to complete Apollo Program and build three parts of the spaceship, your choice)

Locations hint
Elizabeth lives on a medium sized island to the north west of me, not far away. Didn't you meet her yet?
Isabellas nation is to the north of yours, but contacting her might require some pretty experienced sailors.
Cathrine owns a small continent on the other side of the world, far up in the north. It would hardly be possible for her to be further away from you. That's why I am unsure if its easier to go east or west.

Payment options used
50 gold
75 gold
100 gold
133 gold
166 gold
200 gold
1 worker
2 workers
2 workers
2 workers

Checking in... nice to be back after having to miss SGOTM20 because of RL overload. As before, I'm still traveling a lot (to Long Island), but at least I'm not trying to cover two businesses like I was last spring. I lug my personal laptop with me on my trips, so I should be able to keep fully engaged.

I'm excited about our team lineup, might rival the glory days of XTeam... looking forward to teaming up with Dhoomstriker, Folket and neilmeister. Also, of course, the XTeam old-timers. :D

Nice to see you back Hawk. :thumbsup:

edit - a test save of the start:

Attachments

• Test_Save_SG21_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    44.7 KB · Views: 201
:dunno: Depends upon how badly Swede wants Unusual Suspects.
Nah, I would say it depends upon whether you want to change your name back to X Team.

Alan needs to know soon, as he is making the saves now.

Team Name
Unusual Suspects has been around as a team since SGOTM 7. I suggest that we let kcd_swede have that name back, as he's been on that team about 9 times.

neilmeister seems to be the only remaining tie that our team has to the Unusual Suspects' roster, while he joined that team from an amalgamation with T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't, if I recall correctly.

So, let's pay tribute to the T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't team by including an apostrophe and make our new team name:
X'team

Victory Condition
What sort of Victory Conditions do you guys tend to favour?

We have our choice, and it will be somewhat dictated by the map's conditions, but it seems to me that an Espionage-assisted Culture Victory is a Victory type that we could potentially plan for no matter what the map turns out to be like. If a lady's request is to get a Legendary City, we'd satisfy that requirement.

That said, if everyone loves Domination and Domination doesn't seem too far fetched (remember that we can't take Vassals, though, as they are disabled), then we could certainly plan for a Victory type that everyone loves.

Poor choices would probably be Space (since we likely will not need to tech that far) or Conquest (in case of an isolated AI Civ or AI City, as all-too-often happens in these SGOTM maps).

Religious is potentially an option, as even an isolated AI can be gifted a City. Yet, it requires managing the Religious make-up of the game and possibly investing Hammers into the expensive Apostolic Palace Wonder ourselves, rather than letting an AI build it for us, as well as investing Hammers into Missionaries that may or may not spread their Religions when you want them to.

Diplo is certainly doable and focuses on beelining techs, often via Lightbulbing, but we may end up being short of the other tech paths that may be needed to win the ladies' hearts, or short on territory/power should one of the ladies need us to conquest another AI to win her heart if we focus heavily on the beeline at the cost of expansion through war.

Questions for the Admins
Since we seem to have admins being active in our thread, I'd like to ask a couple of clarifying questions:
1. Does it count as viewing another team's thread to click on the Replies link in the SGOTM forum, i.e. the "Who Posted?" pop-up, for another team's thread?

2. Are we allowed to gift multiple amounts of Gold and Workers to Willem/his successor on the same turn? I would think that the answer is a clear "yes," but I'd appreciate having the answer being spelled out. So, as an example, can we give 125 Gold (50 + 75 = 125 Gold) all at once and ask for 2 secrets to be revealed? Assuming, a "yes," do we need multiple sets of saved games or can all of the gifts happen in between of two uploaded saved games?

So, let's pay tribute to the T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't team by including an apostrophe and make our new team name:
X'team
Nah, I wouldn't do that to Alan.

Would really appreciate changing back to XTeam. :thanx:

Since we seem to have admins being active in our thread, I'd like to ask a couple of clarifying questions:
As long as you don't ask me to shut up I will be here all the time. I *love* reading these threads :)

1. Does it count as viewing another team's thread to click on the Replies link in the SGOTM forum, i.e. the "Who Posted?" pop-up, for another team's thread?
In all honesty: I don't know. All cheating related stuff is alien to me and I used to force Deckhand to worry about it. But I guess he'll read this and answer soon anyway.

2. Are we allowed to gift multiple amounts of Gold and Workers to Willem/his successor on the same turn? I would think that the answer is a clear "yes," but I'd appreciate having the answer being spelled out. So, as an example, can we give 125 Gold (50 + 75 = 125 Gold) all at once and ask for 2 secrets to be revealed? Assuming, a "yes," do we need multiple sets of saved games or can all of the gifts happen in between of two uploaded saved games?
'A purchase' can include multiple items, yes. You could buy all ten hints in one go if you wanted. And you need to post evidence saves for 'a purchase'.

No, it does not.
But I think this should be discouraged. Why would you want to do this? To determine that a team has finished? Any other reasons?

Nah, I wouldn't do that to Alan.

Would really appreciate changing back to XTeam. :thanx:

Aaaarggghhh! It's 2:00 am in the UK, and it looks as if I have to change two team names in the next couple of hours? :eek:

Done yours. Now I just need a decision out of Swede's gang.

Aaaarggghhh! It's 2:00 am in the UK, and it looks as if I have to change two team names in the next couple of hours? :eek:
Apologies.
Can't you just give Swede the save meant for us and rename one? :mischief:

Thanks. :xmascheers:

Swede hasn't told me what he wants the team to be called yet. If you have insider info, please let me know. They've been discussing another name entirely.

Checking in..... I am really looking forward to this game, not that I know anything about it yet.

I am happy with Xteam, it would be good to have both Xteam & the Suspects back playing.

Thanks for the test game Dhoom, I will have a go tonight. For now I am off to read the pre-game discussion thread...

edit:
No begging, crap. I love begging!
Clever map rule: a task only counts if you knew about it!

My gut instinct is that mass worker gifting then stealing from Willem once should be a smart move, but the mapmakers will have obviouly anticipated this.

My first thoughts about settling would be either 1N of the settler, or 2E of the cows

Top Bottom