RSG 02 (Deity) - The Randomness Continues

Sir Bugsy

Civ.D.
Starting a thread for the second version of the randomness SGs. Please check in if you want to play.

The only rules are:
1. We don't use any exploits.
2. It is on deity level
3. The start must have everything selected as random

We need to decide whether we are going to play at Brave New World or Gods and Kings.

Also we need to decide if you are going to use a mod.

Checking in!

I suggest we could add a rule to not play a Dido start again, just to make sure we get some other random civ than we had in the first RSG. (Also, all the two SGs I have been part of has been a Dido Domination victory... :))

:salute:

BNW for me, and I don't think it's so bad that Events and Decisions is unfair for the AI since we'll be playing on Deity without exploits. I will really miss the early 2-3 workers I normally steal.

Everything random, added random events mod.

Here's my stab at start generation:

Rome

(Pretty ok start, really strong with granary and improvements. I'd settle on the wine).

Portugal

(Maybe better while rather uneven in the mix of food/shields but a coast-hill-river-mountain-marble start is nothing to sneeze at)

Attachments

• RSG2 - Rome.Civ5Save
    886.7 KB · Views: 228
  • RSG2 - Portugal.Civ5Save
    891 KB · Views: 225
I really like that Portugal start! Coast/Hill/River/Mountain capital if we settle in place, and while there's a desert there seem to be lots of flood plains.

And as I said in the RSG1 thread the mod isn't that unfair for the AI. The AI civs do respond to random events and I think they should be able to enact decisions aswell. I suppose you have the latest version of the mod (to ensure savegame compatibility)?

Here is the early line up:

Beorn
Gurra
Bugs

Looking for at least two more.

I would go with the Portuguese start and settle in place. We could go for the desert option in a pantheon.

I suppose you have the latest version of the mod?

Pretty sure I do - it doesn't offer me an update.

Desert folklore + Liberty/GE/Petra is a winner in my heart.

20 start then 10 each?

Someone help the old guy out.

I clicked on the "get a mod" button and of course there are a thousand mods to choose from. I did a search for "events" and got five pages of results. Is Events and Decisions in those five pages? No.

What am I doing wrong?

You may try to search for Sukritact, the mod maker, from the get mod menu.

Alternative: CFC link, to DL manually.

Yey, deity sg!:) Of course I'm in-)

I like Portugal start too.
Hills and flood plains is a quite powerful combination indeed. Mountain is useful as well.
Petra will be good asap, but I suggest not concentrate on it too much, it's deity after all...
Recently (on deity or immortal) got a perfect Petra city with like 8 desert hills and got desert folklore and Petra, but had a really hard time in the early middle game because missed on a lot of other basic stuff to get them (well, Petra)...

And definitely don't like Rome start, tundra is so much worse than desert..
Though probably settling SE of the Wine of it isn't that bad, salt is amazing (and usually there is a lot of it) and 2 deer+wheat is good.

Just got the mod, it works, thanks Gurra for explanation-)

The only thing is that the first Rome decision is quite strange xD
I still like the Portugal more: unique decisions for

Rome
Spoiler :
Sorry, I'm too lazy to properly cut pictures:(

vs Portugal
Spoiler :

I guess we're pretty much set on the Portugal start then since four of us seem to like it the most.

Also, Beorn, where do you see any Salt on the Rome start? I only spot Wine and Marble as far as luxuries go.

Here's the line up. Looking for a fifth:

Beorn
Gurra
Bugs
Menelann

Alright! I was kindof expecting everyone to chip in with a start or two, sorry if it feels like I hijacked the thread :blush: It's all optimism :cool:

If we want a shot at desert folklore and liberty-Petra, we'll need to get early culture and faith. I move for Monument-Scout-Shrine-(Gran or Settler) with Pots->AH and Liberty->Settler branch.

Waiting for feedback and I'll get it today.

If we want a shot at desert folklore and liberty-Petra, we'll need to get early culture and faith. I move for Monument-Scout-Shrine-(Gran or Settler) with Pots->AH and Liberty->Settler branch.

Sounds like a good plan. Getting the Scout first instead of a Monument might help us with the faith though if we have Religious city states close, but the Monument first is probably a more stable long-term plan.

I was kindof expecting everyone to chip in with a start or two

Well, if you want some more starts: I rolled another one with different settings. Instead of Random map I went with Shuffle map, which randomizes pretty much everything (I think this was the map type in our Dido game). Other than that I also checked Disable Start Bias for even more randomness. Standard map size and speed.

Let me present to you: Arctic Egypt with lots of salt (and some Marble and Gems not too far away)!

Spoiler :
I tried limiting the number of DLCs to the two EPs but I found that without all civilization dlcs enabled the mod wouldn't give me any civ specific decisions. :confused: So this start requires G&K+BNW and the civilization dlcs, but none of the map or wonder dlcs.

Now I'm torn between this start and the Portugal one. Should we stick to our choice or would you rather play this Egypt one?

By the way, remember that when you save the game with mods they end up in the ModdedSaves folder rather than the usual Saves folder.

Attachments

• Ramesses II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    540.1 KB · Views: 239
I still like Portugal. A hill, on a river, next to a mountain is about as good a terrain start as you can expect. The wheat and flood plains make up for the desert.

I usually start with a scout, then monument; but the other way around works too. Just focus on pottery and then a shrine.

Arctic Egypt looks interesting, but I suggest to stick with Portugal-)

I usually go scout first too.

I go scout first as well, 75% of the time. Worker first for salt, monument first for GE-rush. Since we were trying to rush for Petra, I thought it wiser to stack culture in our favor. I'll fall in line with whichever version you guys prefer though.

Do you think we can finish Liberty in time?

If so, I agree for monument-)
I'm not so experienced with pure Liberty openings myself.

Top Bottom