Test game for COTM115 Austria

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
This is a tiny test game for COTM115 designed to let everyone test that the Austrian civilization with its Unique Unit the Hussar functions correctly in their installation. The game starts in the Industrial Age, i.e. Military Tradition is already discovered by all civilizations. All you have to do is connect Horses and Saltpeter, produce Hussars and use them to beat Germany, Russia and the Ottoman empire.

Before loading this game, the file

Code:
<installation directory>\Conquests\Text\PediaIcons.txt

should be renamed to e.g. PediaIconsOrig.txt and the PediaIcons.txt file provided here copied into the same directory instead. Without the definitions provided in this file, it is not possible to play Austria.

Documentation for the Austrian civilization and the Hussar are already provided in the Civilopedia. What the Civilopedia doesn't say about the Hussar provided in this scenario is this:

• The Hussar has the blitz ability, i.e. it can attack more than once in a turn
  • The Hussar ignores the movement costs of Hills and Forests (as well as all flatland, should anyone set a movement cost for these)

Please report any problems in this thread.

Edit: A new test game based on the new COTM_A.biq, in which hopefully unit upgrades work as expected.

PediaIcons.txt

If you have a German-language installation, use this file instead: De_PediaIcons.txt, but rename it to PediaIcons.txt.

Attachments

• Charles V of the Austria, 4000 BC.SAV
    49.9 KB · Views: 173
i could not try it yet because GOTM 140 proved to be so epic... ;)

thanks for explaining what is to do in order to play the game in such a simple way - absolutely required by Ppople like me!

until when would you need Feedback?

t_x

Renaming a file and copying another in its place and then playing the test game to Conquest should take less than an hour in total unless you have some problems.

Depending on operating system and the location where you have installed Civilization III, you might have to be administrator to rename and copy the files.

Again, there will be no need to change the installation back once it has been updated!

So if you have an hour, please report success or failure here.

ouch. the administrator rights requirement might become a problem. we will see...

I know. But you did install the game, so you must have access to these rights. It's just a matter of finding the right technical solution.

ok i dl it as described and tested the game. what i found is that:
-even though i have horses+salt connected, i can still build horses!
-horses do upgrade to Chinese riders!
-horses do not upgrade to hussars :)
-the hussar does trigger the GA

i guess the real game will be totally different, however, i just want to point out that the AS built only warriors and i think 1 spear. i changed to Rep, built 1 unit and took them all out. maybe the AS will need some starting units... i mean, like, rifles. :) immobile ones...
and the tech costs are of course very high at the beginning. in case the real game has us start in the IA also...

otherwise, everything seemed to work the way you had described it. especially the specifics of the hussar. very nice unit indeed. :)

t_x

ok i dl it as described and tested the game.

Thank you very much! I'm happy to note that changing the PediaIcons.txt file didn't pose any problems for you. You don't have to change the file back. It should fit for all COTMs.

-even though i have horses+salt connected, i can still build horses!
-horses do upgrade to Chinese riders!
-horses do not upgrade to hussars

Oops! I didn't think of making changes to the Horseman and the Knight! Thanks for pointing this out, I will try to fix it. As you can guess, I changed the Chinese civilization to become the Austrian one.

i guess the real game will be totally different, however, i just want to point out that the AS built only warriors and i think 1 spear. i changed to Rep, built 1 unit and took them all out. maybe the AS will need some starting units... i mean, like, rifles. :) immobile ones...
and the tech costs are of course very high at the beginning. in case the real game has us start in the IA also...

No, that was just for the test game in order to keep it short. It wouldn't be fair to have you play a full game through to the end of the Medieval just to be able to build the Hussar, and I didn't want to have a modified version of the base COTM.BIQ file for testing. So I set the game in the Industrial Age, where Military Tradition and everything else is already discovered.

otherwise, everything seemed to work the way you had described it. especially the specifics of the hussar. very nice unit indeed.

OK, do you think that the Hussar is fun and powerful enough to motivate most players to research Military Tradition? It is less powerful than what we discussed earlier. It would have to be a Continents game of course, with Ocean crossings wider than three tiles.

I will post a second test game with the Horseman/Knight issue solved.

Thank you very much! I'm happy to note that changing the PediaIcons.txt file didn't pose any problems for you. You don't have to change the file back. It should fit for all COTMs.

sure, sorry it took me so long to deliver my minor contribution. RL stress and GOTM140-civ stress... ;)
however, i do need to change the pedia back for, like, HoF games, right? (not that currently i would have time for those...)

OK, do you think that the Hussar is fun and powerful enough to motivate most players to research Military Tradition? It is less powerful than what we discussed earlier. It would have to be a Continents game of course, with Ocean crossings wider than three tiles.

hard to say. what you describe of course makes it much more likely, but there are always guys, umm, like you and me :D, who try to still build ship chains and take over the world with horses. seriously, i could not say in advance what would practically ensure that such players will continue Research until MT. but i absolutely guess that your are on the right track.

t_x

now another thing that was strange in the test game Comes to my mind. even though i had eliminated all 3 civs, the game DID NOT END. it simply did not show the conquest victory window. i have no clue why. i did get the "you have destroyed..."-window for each civ though. the advisors also claimed there were no more civs on earth.

i guess it was just myself overlooking something, but i still let you know.

and i did not have any issues to simply rename and change the files.

t_x

however, i do need to change the pedia back for, like, HoF games, right?

I don't see why, unless there are competing definitions for Charles V and/or Hussar for these games. I have never read the rules for HoF.

The file PediaIcons.txt only contains definitions of names used in the Civilopedia and/or in the save file in terms of artwork files. The game looks in the file when it finds a generic identifier such as "RACE_Austria". As long as you don't want to play a game which expects other definitions for "RACE_Austria", these additions to the file will never be used. Some of them were even already in the file before I added the rest of them.

I have now updated the first post in this thread with a new save based on a new version of COTM_A.biq. I have tried to solve the issues with upgrade paths which vere present in the previous test game:

• Removed the Rider
  • Made Ansar Warrior upgrade to Samurai instead of Rider (which upgraded to Samurai)
  • Made Knight eligible for Austria
  • Made Cossack upgrade to Hussar

I have tried it out, and it appears to work. But since I may be biased by having made the changes, please try it out! And I mean not only templar_x. All players are invited!

i played it and found that you could not upgrade horses to hussars... otherwise everything went fine. after 15 minutes of testing the other 3 civs left the globe in 2710bc :)
t_x

i played it and found that you could not upgrade horses to hussars...

That's bad. Does anyone out there have a good grip of modding units and especially upgrade paths?

I found a bug in the BIQ after creating the second test game. I hadn't made Military Tradition a requirement for Hussars. But I don't see how that could effect the upgrade paths.

I suppose there was no problem upgrading Horsemen to Knights and Knights to Hussars?

right. i especially checked that by connecting the ressources one by another.
-each of the 3 horse type units could be built from scratch if the ressources were connected
-horses could be upgraded to knights
-knights could be upgraded to hussars
however, horses->hussars did not work.
t_x

-each of the 3 horse type units could be built from scratch if the ressources were connected
-horses could be upgraded to knights
-knights could be upgraded to hussars
however, horses->hussars did not work.

I have now gotten around to testing it myself, and I can not confirm this. With Horses connected, I could build Horsemen. With Horses and Iron, I could build Knights and upgrade Horsemen to Knights. With Horses and Saltpeter, I could build Hussars and upgrade Horsemen and Knights to Hussars.

The only glitch I've noticed, which I think is a bug in the game rather than in the scenario file, is that on the turn when Saltpeter has just been disconnected, it is still possible to switch production from Hussar to Knight (if Iron is connected) and then back to Hussar. The Hussar option disappears only on the next turn.

I would ask more players to please test the upgrade paths in this test game!

I would like to, but not sure whether I'll have the necessary time. COTM113 is still taking some time, and after that I'd also like to try the Celts GOTM (one of the few GOTMs that I didn't create lately, so my chance for playing a GOTM again...)

Just saw this now. I had no problems other than my innate ability to not generate Great Leaders.

I gifted Germany to tech parity so I could test the UU against riflemen and it still rolled over them. Should make for a fast moving game no matter what victory condition is set/chosen.

Now to figure out how to actually play as Austria in order to check them out .

Top Bottom