God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

Modern nations can be secular or atheist, but it doesn't make sense to build the entire game around.

I'd also point out that even officially atheist nations aren't really atheist. Even the Soviet Union had a back and forth relationship with the Orthodox church rather than straight oppression.

I was contemplating about whether they would put atheistic Beliefs into the religion system. There are non-supernatural philosophies that can be used as such. Humanism, for instance. Darwinism could be included as a pro-science Belief. There could be Beliefs that could go with a theistic or athiestic religion. Maybe something that allows monestaries to give science or a Belief that gives a cost discount to universities and public schools. Gregor Mendel was a monk, after all, and many universities were founded to teach theology.

I was contemplating about whether they would put atheistic Beliefs into the religion system. There are non-supernatural philosophies that can be used as such. Humanism, for instance. Darwinism could be included as a pro-science Belief. There could be Beliefs that could go with a theistic or athiestic religion. Maybe something that allows monestaries to give science or a Belief that gives a cost discount to universities and public schools. Gregor Mendel was a monk, after all, and many universities were founded to teach theology.

Well that's confusing proscience beliefs (in game) with atheistic beliefs.

If you want to play an "atheistic" civ you can go with one of two approaches

1. Make your own religion and rename it (name it Atheism if you like) and choose beliefs that you feel fit

2. Go 'secular'... Never adopt a State religion [if that is an option]. Don't use Piety/build religious buildings. Ue al your "faith" for non religious things (as well as all your hammers and gold).

It might be even more possible now.. possibly you can go up the cultural buildings without building Temples and Monasteries.

Right. What I was proposing would give you the capacity to make an atheistic "religion", thereby giving you the benefits of the Religion System without having to dedicate yourself to a deity. Which is pretty much your item 1.

Yes, this applied to pretty much all the communist nations. But I would agree with Louis that the atheism was in official name only; the religions didn't go away.

To say a nation's official stance is atheist is misleading. USSR was full of Christians and Jews. The religion shapes the culture of the people, and influenced those in power (for better or worse).

I honestly can't think of one example of a civilization that does not have a religion.

To say a nation's official stance is atheist is misleading. USSR was full of Christians and Jews. The religion shapes the culture of the people, and influenced those in power (for better or worse). I honestly can't think of one example of a civilization that does not have a religion.
I certainly agree. To allow the player to totally avoid any religious systems or buildings might be an attractive choice for an atheist player, but it has no basis in history.

I certainly agree. To allow the player to totally avoid any religious systems or buildings might be an attractive choice for an atheist player, but it has no basis in history.

I'm tired of hearing all this "atheists can play without religions" stuff.
Being an atheist myself, it really doesn't bother me that they added religion, nor would I play without it.

Being an atheist myself, it really doesn't bother me that they added religion, nor would I play without it.

True however, some people like to play with their preferred concept for a civ. (never using Slavery in Civ4 for example)

It might be suboptimal, but it is viable and an interesting way to play.

(You probably would have to deal with the fact that religion might still spread in your civ, but you could avoid any active part in "your people's delusion" until you are able to reeducate them)

I agree with this.

Atheist as well. :)

True however, some people like to play with their preferred concept for a civ. (never using Slavery in Civ4 for example)

It might be suboptimal, but it is viable and an interesting way to play.

(You probably would have to deal with the fact that religion might still spread in your civ, but you could avoid any active part in "your people's delusion" until you are able to reeducate them)

Seems odd. I despise slavery in real life, but it got stuff done in CivIV :lol:

I don't think the comments are directed at people who feel your way, but people who are adamant that religion should not be in because they are atheist. People who recognize it was an important part of history are fine, no matter the extent they disagree with it are fine. The feature will be just as fun for them as with others.

I was cussing at my computer screen when my missionaries weren't converting other cities in Civ IV.... yelling bigoted statements... I mean it is what it is.

People killed each other for different religious beliefs throughout history. I don't mind living vicariously among people who lived in those times through a computer game. Your personal beliefs should have nothing to do with it. If you have to kill the Christian people or Muslim people or Jewish people in your game, or whatever religion... you have to kill them. No offense...

What I'd like to know is if there will be secular states possible, and free religion sort of thing

I would hope so, at some point. Lack of an official state religion is just as important part of history as having one to begin with.

Top Bottom