Will someone who truly loved Civ 1 & Civ3 like Civ Rev?

stwils

Emperor
For years my life revolved around Civ1 and then Civ3. Now I am getting the Apple iPad and I see they have Civ Rev. And for some reason my heart is beating a bit fast over the thought of getting Civ Rev.:crazyeye:

A few questions:
1 - Do the lovers of other civ games usually like Civ Rev? (And by the way, I never liked Civ4 and BTS.)

2 - What is the music like in Civ Rev? Is it reminiscent of the older civ games?

3- The iPad's screen of course is smaller than my 20 inch PC monitor, but can't you enlarge portions of it with your fingers? (I don't have the iPad yet. Hopefully getting it Saturday so I don't yet know how it all works.)

4- Is there any kind of manual or guide I can get for it?

Thanks so much.

stwils

It's kind of tough to say, since you didn't say what you loved about the other Civ titles. CivRev is a shorter, more concise game than the others. In my view, it really shines because the multi-player game is actually multi-playable in that you can finish most games in under two hours. However, I don't think the ipad version supports MP. The iphone and DS versions (which are basically the same) don't.

The unique thing about the ipad version is it comes with a scenario editor and is the only version of CivRev to do so. I imagine that improves replayability, but I haven't heard exactly what you can do with the scenario editor yet.

I play the 360 of the game. I wouldn't say the music is the best feature. I don't know if the ipad version has the same music or what. Also don't know about zooming in, but I expect that's possible. I think I remember seeing something about that in the iphone version. The ipad one is basically the same but with better graphics and that scenario editor.

You can get the DS guide here: http://downloads.2kgames.com/civilization/revolution/Civilization_Revolution_Expanded_DS_Manual.zip. That should cover everything pretty well except the scenario editor. I have yet to see any guides or descriptions of how that works.

Thank you so much for your reply. And for your inclusion of a link to a guide for the DS which may be very close to the iPad.

I like the fact that you can finish most games in a short time!

I will need to find a printable tech tree, and when I do, I am ready to go for it.

Thanks again for answering my questions.

stwils:)

I can't get it to print. What could I be doing wrong. Anyone else had trouble printing it out?

stwils

I can't get it to print. What could I be doing wrong. Anyone else had trouble printing it out?

stwils

You mean you can open the pdf but it won't print? Probably a problem on your end, though I've never actually printed it out. I just open it up when I need to refer to it.

Printer is working fine on other things. If you have time, see if you can print it out. :)

stwils

Printer is working fine on other things. If you have time, see if you can print it out. :)

Well, that's easy. My printer conked out years ago and I never bought another one. Electronic copies suit me fine. So my printing attempt would fail.

If you're trying to print from your browser, you should instead try saving a local copy, make sure you have the latest Acrobat Reader and then print. I expect someone has been able to print it out since I've never heard this complaint before and the thing has been available for months.

I hate to be dense, but what do you mean by "saving a local copy?" I always use my browser to find the thing I want to print, then say "save" or "run' and after that just click print. And I think I do have the latest update of Adobe.

Usually it will say where do you want to save it to (desktop or program files.) In this case it never asked. Puzzled. Maybe my computer is acting up.

Thanks so much for all your responses.

stwils

Well, I don't know if it's opening in your browser or if it's launching Acrobat Reader. There are so many possible configurations here. If it's in your browser, go to File then find something like "Save As..." or "Save a Copy" or something like that. Put it on your hard disk somewhere, then open it from there and see if you get different results.

That's what most downloads ask. "Save" or Save to.
This did not do that.
Oh well. You have tried to help me, and I do appreciate it.
I will get Civ Rev for my iPad, then worry about the tech tree.

stwils:)

Although I don't know about the iPad version, there is a free demo of the iPhone version. So give it a try. I'm betting you will enjoy it.

I got the tech tree to print.:):):)

Some conflict within my computer. Now I can enjoy CivRev!:lol:

stwils

The ipad is a small "laptop/computer" for people on the go. Sounds like its computing power would allow it to create scenerios. Someone will probably figure out a way sooner or later how to port the game over to a mac or PC to do even more with the game.

If you went for short games in CIV I and 3, then you will like Civ Rev. I play Civ II and TOT and for some reason, I like the DS Game Age of Empires more than Civ Rev. But that is my opinion.

I played a lot of Civ 3 and loved it. I recently got an Xbox 360 and decided to try Civ Rev since it was only 20$. I have been loving it! It is a simplified streamed down version of Civ but it is great. They keep the core elements that make the game fun. I would defenatly recommend Civ Rev.

I just got the ipod version. It's no actual civ, but it's a good way to scratch the civ itch on the go. I sometimes play while walking to/from work which is pretty nice

Top Bottom