Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thx, it happens to me so rarely and when it does I usually have multiple sources so I prefer to just work the improvement, that I forget whether I had to road it or not if I go the fort option.

Speaking of forts, I wish it was possible to implement decimation whenever my workers try to build a fort.

"Okay lads, every tenth man step forward..."

Thanks a lot. Btw, is there any usual prices(gpt or gold) for resources and techs or is it situational? I try to do 1 on 1 trades or equal beaker cost for techs but sometimes i don't have this opportunity.

Btw, is there any usual prices(gpt or gold) for resources and techs or is it situational? I try to do 1 on 1 trades or equal beaker cost for techs but sometimes i don't have this opportunity.
Resource prices vary depending on a lot of factors. It's quite complicated, but the AI will tell you what they want for them. Selling resources for gpt is good. Take as much gold as they are willing to give. Trading health/happy resources one to one is pretty normal.

They rarely have enough gold to pay the full price when selling techs. Selling old techs is still okay, even though it often will be severely under priced. Better to get the little they have to offer than not getting anything at all.

As I only rarely play games going into the modern era I was recently surprised by "global warming" which led to desertification of a (formerly plains or grass) hill in my capitals BFC. It was not such a big deal as the spaceship was almost built. The map was "lonely Pericles" from the LHC series, Immortal difficulty. I remember from CivII that there could be catastrophic global warming basically changing most of the map to swamps and desert and basically game over. But one was warned and by quickly cleaning up pollution one could usually avoid it.

In the game mentioned there was no warning at all and I do not think that I had extraordinary pollution (maybe 2-3 green faces for a few turns until I had build a recycling plant or so). Is this just and unavoidable random event (I probably should switch events off) like getting a new source of wine or the dustbowl event or so? Or is it directly connected to # of green faces?

Unfortunately this isn't a random event as such, as it happens with events off too. I can't stand it either, but thankfully it usually doesn't happen very often, so it's just the odd tile here and there that is lost.

But is it completely random (like the tiny chance for a mining resource from a normal mine) or somehow connected to overall production, population, green faces or whatever?

But is it completely random (like the tiny chance for a mining resource from a normal mine) or somehow connected to overall production, population, green faces or whatever?

Hopefully somebody with actual knowledge will pop in and answer this, because I simply don't know. But I think it depends to an extent on :yuck: in the cities. For example, in a recent Rainforest map I played, I got Global Warming in ~1500AD, and that mapscript has few health resources so almost no matter what you'll get :yuck: in the cities.

Kmod bases it off unhealth I think, but plain BtS bases it on nukes fired.

That can't be the only factor then, because I've yet to see a single nuke in any of my games, but global warming happens in most of them.

Resource prices vary depending on a lot of factors. It's quite complicated, but the AI will tell you what they want for them. Selling resources for gpt is good. Take as much gold as they are willing to give. Trading health/happy resources one to one is pretty normal.
One for one in :)/:health: resource trades is the norm for much of the game, as all of them except gold and ivory have the equal value. The actual value for a resource offered by either side is tied to the city count of the smaller trading parties civ.

The values of these resources are really easy to calculate,
((Lowest out of buyers citycount vs sellers citycount) + 3) * 30
City count of an AI is easily found by counting the city names in the trade screen and adding one (the capital is hidden!)
The above gives a raw value in trade points, to find the GPT value you must divide it by 20 under most conditions, if they are in financial trouble you divide by 30.
This calculation can actually be used for detecting when an AI is in financial trouble, by simply asking how much GPT they want for one of these 'standard' :)/:health: resources. You will need plenty of excess GPT, but you can usually get it by raising gold to 100%.

However, later in the game something (renewing a trade for a specific resource I believe) triggers the AI's perceived value for its resources to increase by 10% meaning you won't get a straight one to one trade anymore.

All other resources depend on a much larger number of factors, that would be impractical to calculate each time. Unfortunately I never managed to work them out completely for a spreadsheet :cry:

Nukes could have been a factor in my game because the Persian was nuking Churchill on the other continent while I was happily building my spaceship...
(I built a few nukes but did not fire a single one)

Hopefully somebody with actual knowledge will pop in and answer this, because I simply don't know. But I think it depends to an extent on :yuck: in the cities. For example, in a recent Rainforest map I played, I got Global Warming in ~1500AD, and that mapscript has few health resources so almost no matter what you'll get :yuck: in the cities.

Kmod bases it off unhealth I think, but plain BtS bases it on nukes fired.

That can't be the only factor then, because I've yet to see a single nuke in any of my games, but global warming happens in most of them.

Nukes could have been a factor in my game because the Persian was nuking Churchill on the other continent while I was happily building my spaceship...
(I built a few nukes but did not fire a single one)
I don't know the formula, but nukes do (oddly) set off global warming, but it can happen (at a much lesser rate) without nuclear warfare.

City count of an AI is easily found by counting the city names in the trade screen and adding one (the capital is hidden!)
BUG mod will show the city-count for non-vassal civs on the main screen (and the number of vassal cities known to you as well). You can't get the count of vassal civs in the trade screen as vassals can't trade cities. (That's why BUG doesn't show it.)

Originally it was just nukes & meltdowns but a patch (3.13?) introduced including raw :yuck: (before recycling plants and national park) and unchopped forests/jungles as factors.

Have given up on the search function here as it's like finding a needle in a haystack, so will ask here instead.

How do you destroy your own road? If there is a resource over it, like a mine or village, I can at least destroy that. But if there is simply a road, there is no "destroy" icon to click. I want to destroy it so I can (hopefully) build some warriors there when it's unconnected to the wider network.

Alternatively I can trade away all metals, but during a war that may not be the best option... :p

I think destroying your own roads/rails is only possible in mods.

I think destroying your own roads/rails is only possible in mods.

That's a little unfortunate, but I didn't see a way to do it so it's probably correct. Strange that you can destroy for instance a mine but not a road. Suppose you could nuke it, but, well.... :lol:

Okay, total boards newbie here. I'm trying to run FfH2 on my Steam version of Civ 4, and I've installed both the game and patch o to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods", but it's not working. Is there something I'm doing wrong? And does this have anything to do with patch 3.19 I keep hearing about but finding nothing useful on?

Top Bottom