Installing patch 3.19.

need my speed

Rex Omnium Imperarium
Recently, I got myself a new PC (with Windows 7, by the way, which I had on my previous PC as well). This PC, of course, wouldn't be complete without Civilization IV Beyond the Sword (and my mod). But for some reason, I can't install this patch anymore; I've tried downloading it from all the few sites I could find that still provide access to the patch without a corrupt .zip file, but the .exe continuously gives the same error:

The above error, in text:

Error Code: -5006 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (849)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4)
PGUID:32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989
$12.0.0.58855PAK
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (7601) BT_OTHER 55308.24

I have installed 3.17 both by checking for updates in-game as well as manually downloading the 3.17 patch. The game doesn't see any new updates after 3.17; it doesn't find 3.19 so I can't install it through the game. I'm using Beyond the Sword's original .exe; no fixed .exe or crack or anything.

Try running the patch as Administrator. It may help.

I did, but it didn't help I'm afraid. This afternoon, I'll try it with another WiFi USB thingy (you get what I mean), see if that changes things - because for some reason, Steam also refuses to download or update anything now, saying that things are corrupt and constantly queuing it for five minutes later.

I don't have Civilization IV (Beyond the Sword) on Steam though. :p

Well, the WiFi USB thingy was the problem; I used my old one, downloaded the patch again, and lo and behold, everything works fine. I can now enjoy my mod on a shiny 1920x1080 screen with an SSD and lots of awesomeness.

Thanks for your help though! :)

I though about buying a SSD. Does it do much difference in Civ? Since I'm modding a lot, meaning lots of restarts, I recon it would do good there, but what about ingame?
Ha, exactly my thoughts - but I still have to try that out of course. I'm intending to play an Earth map with my own Middle-Earth civilisations, but I haven't really modded much recently. Obviously so; Civilization IV didn't even work properly, until today. :p

So once I have created Gondor, Rohan, Arnor, the Elves, the Dwarves, the Hobbits, Dale... Mhm, I guess that's all (well, and I need to finish Harad and Rhûn), I'll let you know!

Twelve months later... :p

It's been so long since I switched from HDD to SSD that I can't really remember anymore, but it has to have been significant. The entire computer is just so much better with an SSD. Everything is just more responsive and pleasant.

However if you really just want to speed up Civ4, then you cant get a free 4GB RAMDisk.

I use an SSD now and didn't before, but can't really say I notice a difference. The game still lags in typical fashion after a while, especially in the later stages of a game. Maybe a RAMDisk would help with that, but I don't know if it would work in the same way on Linux, and that's what I'm running. I saw the videos, and they all were in Windows :/

I though about buying a SSD. Does it do much difference in Civ? Since I'm modding a lot, meaning lots of restarts, I recon it would do good there, but what about ingame?

I have an SSD, but when playing Civilization, I let it run from RADEON RAMDisk which is even faster. Only downside, needs at least 8 GB of RAM.

Since I use that, city-screens pop up even more instant than they did with running from SSD, and generally, all loading times are again cut in half, again compared to my already fast Samsung 840 Pro. The game also lags a lot less when zooming out and when srolling over the map, so yes, definately a noticeable performance-increase.

I have an SSD, but when playing Civilization, I let it run from RADEON RAMDisk which is even faster. Only downside, needs at least 8 GB of RAM.

Since I use that, city-screens pop up even more instant than they did with running from SSD, and generally, all loading times are again cut in half, again compared to my already fast Samsung 840 Pro. The game also lags a lot less when zooming out and when srolling over the map, so yes, definately a noticeable performance-increase.
Could you explain how to use that, just to be sure? Because I doubt creating a 40 MB size disk is enough?

Could you explain how to use that, just to be sure? Because I doubt creating a 40 MB size disk is enough?

1. Specify the RAMDisk size in the configuration menu (4096 MB is max size in the freeware and just enough for CIV)
2. Copy the CIV-directory and its contents on the RAMDisk in the Windows Explorer
3. Save RAMDisk image

I'm have a problem playing the game without the disk after I transferred the game from my old desktop that died to my new laptop. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how to go online in multiplayer with the old bts version?

1. Specify the RAMDisk size in the configuration menu (4096 MB is max size in the freeware and just enough for CIV)
2. Copy the CIV-directory and its contents on the RAMDisk in the Windows Explorer
3. Save RAMDisk image
That's more than 10 GB though (the whole Firaxis folder)? Even if I had 16GB of RAM (I have 8), I wouldn't use that much for a RAMDisk - 50% at the very most, I'd say...?

Top Bottom