Multiplayer problem -- not getting luxuries

jabarkas

Chieftain
I've been having a strange issue that has made multiplayer unplayable lately. I've combed through the threads here and on other sites and found one mention of this but no solutions.

The problem (which always occurs -- I have tested a good dozen times at least) is that the non-host player cannot access luxuries. When I test this I will have the initial settler on the non-hosting computer head straight for the nearest luxury and build right on top of it. The luxury does not show up in the city screen and the city does not receive the happiness bonus.

I'm running Conquests, patched to 1.22, on both computers. They are connected over a router. I have not had any other problems playing the game. Just to be on the safe side I completely uninstalled and reinstalled both Civ3 and Conquests as well as the patches. One computer is running XP and the other Win98, although the problem always occurs with the non-hosting player, regardless of which computer is hosting the game. What is really odd is that the first time this occurred was shortly (like, 1/2 hour) after finishing a successful multiplayer game.

Some other notes from my testing:

I have tried running the multiplayer through both Internet and LAN -- doesn't make a difference.

I have tried changing around the world size, number of computer players, etc -- hasn't made a difference.

I tried starting the game in hotseat. The first time I played until both players had secured their first luxury, then saved the game and loaded it up in LAN and both players still had the luxury. However, I then started a hotseat game and loaded it up in LAN before both players had secured their first luxury and when the non-hosting player subsequently built on the luxury I got the same old problem (didn't get the luxury).

Anyone have a solution? Any reccomendations on how to work around this? I would greatly appreciate what help I could get.

Thanks.

I have heard that sometimes when you place a city on a lux or resource you will lose the resource. Haven't heard of this happening ALL the time, consistently for someone though.

Try placing the city right next to the resource, and road to it. Do you get the lux then? it's a better idea anyway if you can do it because then you get bonuses from the resource as well. (although I suppose in multiplayer you have to worry about your roads being cut)

Also do you have a 3rd computer available to try hosting/testing the resource? When you host how are you joining the game? on our large multiplayers, usually one person will host via the LAN screen, everyone else will join by Direct IP. But we are not all on the same LAN as the host.

I don't know why the bug happens, it does definitely seem to be a bug. :(

I have also tried connecting the luxury via road -- it's just easier to test the bug by building the city directly on top of the luxury.

This has occured with 3 different computers involved. The one computer that was common to both tests just had Windows and Conquests completely reinstalled. This is what is most puzzling to me -- I'm getting this bug on completely fresh installs of both Windows and Conquests. Yet I had played these types of MP games in the past with this setup and not run into any problems.

Normally I have the players join the game via LAN in the MP setup, but I have tried connecting via direct ip and Internet in the MP setup with the same result.

If anyone has some suggestions for settings I can test to see if I get a different result I'd love to hear them.

azzacanth said:
I have heard that sometimes when you place a city on a lux or resource you will lose the resource. Haven't heard of this happening ALL the time, consistently for someone though.

Try placing the city right next to the resource, and road to it. Do you get the lux then? it's a better idea anyway if you can do it because then you get bonuses from the resource as well. (although I suppose in multiplayer you have to worry about your roads being cut)

Also do you have a 3rd computer available to try hosting/testing the resource? When you host how are you joining the game? on our large multiplayers, usually one person will host via the LAN screen, everyone else will join by Direct IP. But we are not all on the same LAN as the host.

I don't know why the bug happens, it does definitely seem to be a bug. :(

the only thing gained when putting a city on a bonus of lux recource is extra commerce, so yes, you do loose the recource

Top Bottom