Game Processing speed is next to frozen in later stages of Industrial Era

Kiwi_Az

Chieftain
Hi there,

When i play Warlords, I get frustrated when the game processing speed all but freezes when i get to later Industrial Era.

I have a Pentimum 4, 650Ghz processor, 768MB RAM and a FX 5200 graphics card.

Can you try and help me pinpoint what is causing this extremely slow game processing speed, as i have not finished a game yet.

Thanks
Shawn

The game does tend to run slower as you progress later on. However, I had that same video card and this fixed my slow problem.

Nvidia Geforce 5200 uses version 2.0 pixel and vertex shaders. The problem is it runs it poorly and thus slowly. Try downloading Nvhardpage at www.nvhardpage.com. Then in the DirectX panel select shader settings. Adjust the pixel and vertex shaders to 1.1. You should see an improvement.

If it's not your graphics card then maybe try less civs and smaller maps to see if it helps speed up the slowness. Also more RAM wouldn't hurt.

During my games (Warlords), the graphics--scrolling, movements, animation, etc.--are all fine and quick even late in the game. The problem for me is the time it takes between turns which is killing me. I spend most of the later game apparently waiting for the other civs. Do you have any suggestions? My system is AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT. I have also never been able to finish a game because it progressively gets slower and slower so that i can actually read books while I'm waiting (admittedly, to which there is some benefit, lol).

Yes, the time between turns can get very long near late game, but with your computer I cant see it being a huge problem. Your computer is spec'd better than mine and I don't think I would have time to read a book. Only advice I can offer is what do you have running in the background?

Good luck

Thanks. I don't think anything is running in the background. I am playing on higher difficulty settings and huge custom maps which I designed to allow the other (five) civs to really develop on some nice, big, lush, resource-filled islands, and also for me to optimally arrange my handfull of cities into a nice, tight fit. Since everything performs very well in the game (except the wait time after the other civs have experienced significant growth, it's probably related to their mere size and the movements associated with their expansion. So far, the longer it takes me to prepare my armies, the slower the game goes (due to wait time between turns). And, yes, I literally reads books, a few paragraphs/pages at a time, during the wait time between turns! :goodjob: Now that I have built my war machine, I am expecting to see the wait time diminish as soon as my battleships, gunships, and modern armor begin to lay waste to my opponents lands. We'll see. Thanks for your help.

Isn't there a mod that reduces the Python overhead? I read that it really sped things up for a lot of people. My system seems to run it ok, so I didn't try it. I'll try to find it and post here if i do.

Cool. Please let us know if you find it.

Top Bottom