RBW4 - It's a scary world out there

Yes, settle 1 east.

Costal, corn, lots of hills. I love production capitals. One fresh water tie to make +3 in future. Good enogth.

Now, What to produce and what to research?

We probably do need warrior. we need to develop as fast as posible.

What are our starting tech? I think we do have agreculture for farming.

What we have now do show that we will need more exploration.

So, may be hunting first. Build worker-warrior-scout?

I think we still have time for that build order. Especially with toky doing some fog busting. We migth need to conside to fogbast our penecila with scouts?

Yes, after some mor ehtinking, we are expancionists, so worker should be fast. I can not see, do we have forested plain hill near by?
+4 shields = +6 production of worker.

Tehn we can continue to work hill untill worker actially farm.

Research wize I would say after hunting-mining-bronse working and then in direction of pottery. Cheap granares would be essential. I would really like to know where stone and cooper is.

Research wize I would say after hunting-mining-bronse working and then in direction of pottery. Cheap granares would be essential. I would really like to know where stone and cooper is.

Originally we had discussed going straight for Hinduism, but I'm unsure about that now. Even before it would have been tough, since we don't start with Mysticism. Due to scouting (which was definitely worth it IMO), we won't start research until turn six. Do we still want to try for an early religion starting this far behind? Or should we consider Mutineer's proposal?

Myself, I'm not entirely sure. I'm afraid we're too late to grab one of the religions, but I also realize we need them.

If we go Ag-Mysticism-Poly-Mono-Priest, what are our chances to get at least one? If we don't have a shot, then probably better to not even try for Poly or Mono. If we don't go for those though, do we even want to go for the Oracle (now with no Marble?). One thing still in our favor is since we don't start with Mystacism we do need to research it for Stonehenge if you want to build that.

I agree Worker-Warrior-Scout is a good build order, but don't know if we can justify the research for hunting? Why not just use the Worker to scout - I know he's expensive to loose, but we are Expansive plus he won't waste research turns. To me, that's probably the better option.

Worker need to work, need to improve food resource and mine all this nice hill and do some chopping. No way we should waster worker turns on scouting.

Our starting techs are Agriculture and Mining, so we've got the food covered. I also don't know about going Hunting and won't have a solid opinion until we get closer to that point tech-wise.

I'm not for sure about the religions, but I feel we should still try. Maybe we still have a shot at Judaism.
Edit: Without any :commerce: tiles, we don't have much of a shot IMO.

My analysis may be flawed but isn't local culture a bigger determinant of tile control than national culture? And there are more ways of getting local culture than just religion. And Mysticism will help with that in any event.

We will need to find a location for an Art Academy (GP farm for artists).

@Mutineer - We have two worker techs, but we only have one special resource. I'm not saying the worker has to scout from turn one, but we're only really needing scouting info to know where to found additional cities, right? Scouting with the worker AFTER he improves the corn and mines a hill, but while either researching Bronze for chops (which can't be that high of a priority if we're chasing a religion still) or while building a settler isn't taking him away from anything two vital IMHO.

Here's the question - any MM/number crunching types out there know how to figure out the answer - is it better to loose several worker turns while the capital is around size three than to force the entire empire to be focusing on nothing but scouting for like 8 turns (time to research hunting, and then time to make scout). Maybe it isn't, but I'm not sold. If archery or AH was a priority I'd be talking a different tune, but otherwise hunting is essentially a dead-in tech for us in the short term. Mysticism may not be.

personally I believe information is the MOST impotant for this kind of game.
Know where resource are, where opponents are, can we block some one in, et..

Finding stone and building Stonehenge, or finding gold, cooper. Information vi9tal and it need not 1-2 turns to get.

IT- Toku's borders pop.

Turn 6,3800 BC: Beijing founded, begins a Worker (10 turns).
Research -> Mysticism (8 turns)

Turn 7, 3860 BC:
IT- We meet Monte. One of his scouts comes from the east.

Turn 10, 3640 BC:
IT- Our borders pop.

Turn 13, 3520 BC:
IT- Research Mysticism -> Polytheism (12 turns)

Turn 15, 3440 BC:
IT- Beijing Worker -> Warrior (15 turns)

Turn 16, 3400 BC: Worker moves 1N to Corn and starts a farm (5 turns)

Turn 19, 3260 BC:
IT- Argh! We get this...

Turn 20, 3240 BC: I stop here.

Current Stats:
  • Polytheism: 6 turns remaining
  • Growth in 2 turns
  • Warrior done 11 turns
  • Toku knows AH as his worker is construction a pasture.

Research Options:
  • We still have a chance for Judaism if we really want a religion. We'd have to complete Polytheism and than go Masonry (9 turns) and Monotheism (18 turns). Granted, the turns required for Monotheism will drop. A religion will grant us more abilities to build culture from the religion, temple, and monastary.
  • Another option is going for Writing for the OB. Being a pangaea and a crowded map, religions should spread like wildfire. This would also allow us to gain techs more beneficial to us and get to Alphabet quicker. Plus, Writing is a prereq for CoL.
  • I don't like this idea, but I'll say it anyway. We could stop Poly now and research Hunting. It'll take six turns which will complete approx when the Warrior does (either 4 or 5 turns depending on plains or grass). The reason I don't like this is we're already getting closed in. I'm afraid by the time we get the scout out (approx. 11 turns) he won't be able to explore more than what we already see. Currently the only available direction is W.

Though we do have the northern pennisula blocked off, Monte can still easily get to it. His cultural borders touch the coast, so once he knows Sailing he can settle it. We'll need to expand northward fairly quickly. Plus, more cities means more chances of having a religion spread to us.

I meant to only play 15 turns, but with LMA enabled (no autologger and clock mod) I missed it. Sorry, we should play ten turns a piece here on out.

Roster:
  • Methos - Just Played
  • Kodii - Up!
  • Bede - On Deck
  • 3Amoor
  • Sunrise089
  • Mutineer

Here's the world as we know it:

As for research options i would go with the second choice which is goin for Alphabet to try and grab some techs,While the 1st choice would only seem reasonable if we want to be the religon founders and since religon here could easily be spread we can continue the way to Judism and build its wonder from GP, would strengthen our economy.

Got it. Before going on, I want to hear what others think about research.

With marble out of the BFC, Masonry -> Mono seems less appealing. I would say, finish Polytheism and get Writing through Priesthood and then maybe come back to grab Masonry when a marble city is set up. Hopefully we'll still have a chance at Judaism.

Why not just continue down the Alphabet, Drama, Philosophy/Music path rather than chase a religion which all seem to doubt we will catch. If we make sure that our religious neighbors have an open path to reach us then we will catch some religion sooner rather than later.

Hand built obelisks are cheap early culture, libraries are better, though not so cheap and it takes a while to get them.

If we follow the path as suggested above, the only religious tech we will need to come back and research is Meditation for Philosphy, no?

So:

Polytheism -> Priesthood -> Writing

That'll last us a couple of turnsets. I'll play tonight as I am dreadfully busy tomorrow.

I again want to make case for stopping religious path ruigth now and go with settler spamm strat.
That mean hunting-bronse working- well-potterty.

We lost a lot of time on doomed attempt to get religion so we will not have choping early engoth, but still it is better now then never.

I am a strong believer i economical development first.

WE can not steal worker or take over city to compensate for luck of self development.

The research path is still ambiguous in the group. I don't want to play when there are so many different opinions on where to go. Can we get a consensus?

I also think the religious path isn't worth it anymore. Being a pangaea and packed we should get religion spread to us fairly early, so we might as well take it that way. I'm thinking Mutineer's idea on spamming settlers is probably our best method. Grab as much of the north as possible before Monte crosses over.

Top Bottom