R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

General question : which units do you use to take cities ?

A tank cost 375 :c5production: and have a strength of 34 :c5strength: against cities (50 base -33%), and use lot's of material to reinforce.

An infantry cost 240 :c5production:, have a strength of 43 :c5strength: against cities (36 base +20%), can get another +20% city promotion and use almost no material.

Not counting the defensive bonus on rough terrain to keep your ground, in fact you should build tanks only to keep enemy infantry far away of your cities :D

But I'll like more feedback on that point.

Personally, I attack cities with infantry with the help of my bombers. I use the tanks to defend my territory and my infantry, because they are fast, and to surround the enemy armies who attack me.

the game is more centered on territory gain/lose with the retreat feature than on unit destruction
Well, it's rather hard to make unit to retreat.
BTW is it possible to make "surrender" when unit is in encirclement?
It wont help AI, but it will be useful for players.

General question : which units do you use to take cities ?
Infantry.
Reason is simple.
I use tanks for encirclement: strategical or tactical.
So slow infantry is in rearguard will cannons in front of cities.
And I couldn't say it's easy now to capture cities, usually it tooks several turns, but i attack it after heavy cannon fire and bombing.

Personally, I attack cities with infantry with the help of my bombers. I use the tanks to defend my territory and my infantry, because they are fast, and to surround the enemy armies who attack me.

Same here.

Material production is just to low to use tanks to take cities, which is a great feature.

I did not realize you were adding heavy bombers, my personal though is that the bombers we have are heavy enough.

I would think bombers along this line.
Light (-50% city attack, +(Various)% vs ground and or naval if you want sub types. Short range.
Medium (-25% city attack, no bonus/penalty vs ground and small -20% vs naval). medium range
Heavy (0% vs City attack, -25-50% vs ground/naval unit). Long range.

This way we do not increase the pace of the game via bombers. As it is, once you up the medium bombers we have now with some bonuses they take down cities very quickly.

As it is, once you up the medium bombers we have now with some bonuses they take down cities very quickly.

exactly, that's why I'm surprised to have so many report about cities being difficult to capture.

we'll see how it plays with heavy bomber as they are defined currently in next version (v.10), then we'll have time to balance things... knowing that there will also be heavy-fighters added to counter bomber/heavy-bombers attack...

btw I've added a link in the first post to the spreadsheet I use to keep things ordered, the main unit statistics are there for reference.

I found that I used Tanks to capture cities when playing as Germany and Infantry when playing as anyone else. The best way to capture cities is using Bombers. Once you get a couple of Bombers promoted to Logistics you can bomb a city to 1 hp in a couple of turns.

Have you considered making units cost Personnel and Materiel to build? I was reading up on the war this week and I saw a rather interesting passage about the Germans' victories in Norway and Holland coming at the cost of casualties which forced them to use Personnel and Materiel to reinforce their current units rather than being able to expand their military force for the invasion of Britain.

The big thing holding this scenario back for me is the stupidity of the AI. I was trying to determine why Germany was so weak when they should be powerful and the AI is the reason. The free Blitz promotion is really powerful in the hands of the Human player because it allows 1 Panzer to do the job of 3. In the hands of the AI it is a huge liability. If France or Poland digs in an Infantry in the Forest the German AI will repeatedly attack it from across rivers. I have seen the Germans use their Panzer III's to repeatedly attack the same French Infantry over a river. Every time they attack they would lose 10-15 hp while only dealing 1 hp in damage. After about 20 turns of this Kamikaze warfare, the German offensive is completely spent. Probably not something you can fix but it would be nice if the AI actually understood basic principles of tactical positioning.

Another issue that I noticed was that the British cannot have supply lines on the mainland. With Germany being so weak I wasn't really able to do much playing as the British because the Germans never captured a coastal city in the West so i could never establish a launch point for an invasion.

Holy cow, some of those tanks are powerful. I'm guessing the super heavy tank would be something like the King Tiger?

Another issue that I noticed was that the British cannot have supply lines on the mainland. With Germany being so weak I wasn't really able to do much playing as the British because the Germans never captured a coastal city in the West so i could never establish a launch point for an invasion.

They get the supply line once they get permanent allied to France :)

Have you considered making units cost Personnel and Materiel to build? I was reading up on the war this week and I saw a rather interesting passage about the Germans' victories in Norway and Holland coming at the cost of casualties which forced them to use Personnel and Materiel to reinforce their current units rather than being able to expand their military force for the invasion of Britain.
I've considered it, yes, and may add it (and plan to add it for certain project consuming materiel each turn, like super heavy tank design when they'll be added)

ATM, I feel that the current system is close to what you're describing : at some times I prefer to switch my prod cities to "War Bonds" and reinforce my current (and sometime heavy promoted units - with field hospital and repair promotions for example) instead of creating new ones less promoted that will lose more HP in combat and drain more reinforcements each turn...

About that, I need feedback on the current XP given to new units, are Barracks, Academy and Military Base overpowered, or does the cost/turn balance their bonuses ?

And yep the IA is an issue, a simple game event like CanAttack(plot) would help, because it would allow to code something preventing suicidal attacks. Or the DLL access.

About britain and supply line, I must check again France/UK permanent alliance, cause once it's set, normally your units would get supply line with French cities (or any CS you're allied with)

Ok, I've made a few test, and will allow reinforcement to come from friendly city-states in v.10 to fix the issue.

Currently your supply line can goes though any territory of nations that share open border with you, but the end of the line had to be one of your cities, or an allied city (CS or player)

At start of the game, you're friend but not allied with Belgium and Netherlands, so you couldn't use their cities nor the French ones before the permanent alliance.

Now you'll just have to keep a road open between your troops on mainland and Brussels or Amsterdam to get supply, until permanent alliance with France (or you occupy a German city).

Ok, I've made a few test, and will allow reinforcement to come from friendly city-states in v.10 to fix the issue.

Currently your supply line can goes though any territory of nations that share open border with you, but the end of the line had to be one of your cities, or an allied city (CS or player)

At start of the game, you're friend but not allied with Belgium and Netherlands, so you couldn't use their cities nor the French ones before the permanent alliance.

Now you'll just have to keep a road open between your troops on mainland and Brussels or Amsterdam to get supply, until permanent alliance with France (or you occupy a German city).

Great that will help Italy against Greece as Albania does not provide supply the way it is in V.9

To help the AI I would suggest moving the river north and east of Paris to be south and west this way the suicidal AI maybe able to take it.

Hello.

First I must say, very nice mod. Thanks for the effort you put in.

I played some games with Italy on v10. In November 39, Russia declares war on me. I don't think
that is like you want it right ? :)

Hello Gedemon. I notice that Fighters dont get exp when they engage units in Intercept mode. Which leaves me to use them forever attacking units to build them up before I commit them to Intercept mode. Is there any way to add exp when fighters engage with in Intercept mode. They are fighting and bringing down units. It logical for them to get exp for it.

Hello.

First I must say, very nice mod. Thanks for the effort you put in.

I played some games with Italy on v10. In November 39, Russia declares war on me. I don't think
that is like you want it right ? :)
v.10 is not released yet, last version is v.9 ;)

Nations are "free" to declare war as long as it's axis vs allies at anytime.

The mod just make sure that at the real date the war will be declared and became permanent. but before you (or the AI) may decide to change history.

I want to keep that bit of "what if" in the mod, but I could add an option to make war start at absolute real date if there are enough request.

Hello Gedemon. I notice that Fighters dont get exp when they engage units in Intercept mode. Which leaves me to use them forever attacking units to build them up before I commit them to Intercept mode. Is there any way to add exp when fighters engage with in Intercept mode. They are fighting and bringing down units. It logical for them to get exp for it.
Yep, XP for intercepting units is in test and should be integrated in v.10 when it will be released.

I have to say that I am not a fan of battleship now shooting only on space away in Vr10 vs Vr9 were they were shooting 2 spaces away. U have a limitation of only building 2 battleships per class, and I think thats a really good balance. Makes them very important. Now that they have to shoot 1 space away, they are forced to be in the front lines which causes them a lout of damage from submarines and planes. Then it takes forever for them to recover. I would recommend going back to 2 spaces to keep the battleships a bit more in safety like in real war fare.

Check USSR-side of map precisely.
Orenburg should be changed to Chkalov.
Yakutsk before Ural Mountains? That’s really funny! Or may be it just a mistake as Kazan should be there.
Why Tartu not capital Tallin?
As I wrote before Sevastopol must be added with shipyard as it was main Navy base on Black Sea.

exactly, that's why I'm surprised to have so many report about cities being difficult to capture.
It's not difficult, it's too long.

And ones again I've got helpless Adolf who is not able to capture Copenhagen even in the beginning of 1942.

Check USSR-side of map precisely.
Orenburg should be changed to Chkalov.
Yakutsk before Ural Mountains? That’s really funny! Or may be it just a mistake as Kazan should be there.
Why Tartu not capital Tallin?
As I wrote before Sevastopol must be added with shipyard as it was main Navy base on Black Sea.
Thanks again, names corrected (looking at google map, I still don't understand how I've made the Yakutsk/Kazan mistake...)

I had the feeling that Tallinn was too close of Helsinki, but I've changed that too for v.10

And Sevastopol is already in my test version :D

It's not difficult, it's too long.

And ones again I've got helpless Adolf who is not able to capture Copenhagen even in the beginning of 1942.
The problem is also to balance AI/human, not easy.

Top Bottom