[Religion and Revolution]: Winds and Storms

@Robert and KJ:

Would you guys take lead of this project together ? :)

Robert, you could do the general implementation.
KJ, you could do the graphical part.

But it will probably be best if you clarify the details between the two of you. :)

As I said, I will support wherever needed.
(Otherwise I would focus on finishing other things.)

I suggest:

We wait with implementation of DLL-part of this feature until we have TAC 2.02c. (a few more days)
Then I will set up our "work"-version and you can directly integrate your work there.

You could already continue preparing this features, of course. :thumbsup:
(Especially graphics and XML could already be prepared.)

Yesterday I tested the transparency error in the Storm animation in "1492: Reefs and Weather".

Here original screen from "1492: Reefs and Weather".

The tile with Storm feature are marked (red lines). As you see there are many problems. Main of them is transparency, of course. The ship on the Storm tile is practically invisible. The second problem is the size of effect. A part of the second ship is also covered by Storm effect.

I started from the transparency problem. Here a new version of Storm. As you see here I fixed both transparency and size of effect. Now we can see the ship through rain. However, this is a rather draft version of Storm and I guess it could be better. I need only some free time to improve it.

Yesterday I tested the transparency error in the Storm animation in "1492: Reefs and Weather".

Here original screen from "1492: Reefs and Weather".
Interesting...

The tile with Storm feature are marked (red lines). As you see there are many problems. Main of them is transparency, of course. The ship on the Storm tile is practically invisible. The second problem is the size of effect. A part of the second ship is also covered by Storm effect.

I started from the transparency problem. Here a new version of Storm. As you see here I fixed both transparency and size of effect. Now we can see the ship through rain. However, this is a rather draft version of Storm and I guess it could be better. I need only some free time to improve it.
Good job! I'm impressed. I don't know if I can help... The graphics I used came from FFH2... I modified the blizzard image. Do you like them? (It's actually the only graphical modification I ever did! And I'm not really good at that!)

@Robert and KJ:

Would you guys take lead of this project together ? :)

Robert, you could do the general implementation.
KJ, you could do the graphical part.

But it will probably be best if you clarify the details between the two of you. :)

As I said, I will support wherever needed.
(Otherwise I would focus on finishing other things.)

I suggest:

We wait with implementation of DLL-part of this feature until we have TAC 2.02c. (a few more days)
Then I will set up our "work"-version and you can directly integrate your work there.

You could already continue preparing this features, of course. :thumbsup:
(Especially graphics and XML could already be prepared.)
Great! I agree....

By the way KJ, I've checked your code in 1492: Reefs and Weather.
It seems really good and amazingly ... short. :king:
The problem is ... I can't find the generation mechanism :eek:... Am I dumb ? :(

Great! I agree....

By the way KJ, I've checked your code in 1492: Reefs and Weather.
It seems really good and amazingly ... short. :king:
The problem is ... I can't find the generation mechanism :eek:... Am I dumb ? :(

As I told many times, I'm not programmer. You can ask: How was made "1492: Reefs and Weather" mod? My answer is: Very easy. I just very carefully analyzed the source codes of Civilization IV BTS, where all weather effects are present and found all places, where Firaxis programmers (I don't know why :confused:) cut them from CivIVColonization. Then I restored all cut parts and compile a CvGameCoreDLL.dll. Nothing more!

Thus, I returned in CivIVColonization all weather effects that, to my opinion, must be there.

As I told many times, I'm not programmer. You can ask: How was made "1492: Reefs and Weather" mod? My answer is: Very easy. I just very carefully analyzed the source codes of Civilization IV BTS, where all weather effects are present and found all places, where Firaxis programmers (I don't know why :confused:) cut them from CivIVColonization. Then I restored all cut parts and compile a CvGameCoreDLL.dll. Nothing more!

Thus, I returned in CivIVColonization all weather effects that, to my opinion, must be there.
Oh my gosh... I know, I added a few lines from Civ4 Bts too. But that's the point! I don't know which part I didn't add... Oh yes. I didn't add the extra movement cost part. But that seems quite irrelevant to me. Strange :crazyeye:
I don't understand, is there an xml tag telling the computer to add some features in python and some other in c++? :confused:

Concerning "the generation mechanism".

I guess the generation mechanism is present in the game (CivIVColonization).
Please, open CIV4TerrainSchema.xml

Code:
	<ElementType name="iAppearance" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>
	<ElementType name="iDisappearance" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>
	<ElementType name="iGrowth" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>
	<!-- 	KJ: Reefs and weather START	-->	
	<ElementType name="iTurnDamage" content="textOnly" dt:type="int"/>
	<!-- 	KJ: Reefs and weather END	-->

You see, I added only "iTurnDamage" on some tiles, but "iAppearance", "iDisappearance" and "iGrowth" are already were in the game. I suppose exactly here is "located" the generation mechanism.

This is a dilettante point of view, of course. I recommend you to ask our professionals. I hope or Ray, or Andre could you explain much-much more professionally.

You see, I added only "iTurnDamage" on some tiles, but "iAppearance", "iDisappearance" and "iGrowth" are already were in the game. I suppose exactly here is "located" the generation mechanism.

This is a dilettante point of view, of course. I recommend you to ask our professionals. I hope or Ray, or Andre could you explain much-much more professionally.

It is in there.

But it is not working as we want it to. :(
(It is not meant for something as dynamic as "Weather Effects". Eventually it is different in Civ4BtS. :dunno:)

iAppearance only triggers exactly 1 single generation at very first map generation. (We could use that too.)

But also, we want to have "Storms and Winds" regenerated every round. (This has to be programmed.)

iDisappearance and iGrowth do what they should do.

I fixed some weather effects.

Storm (animated):

Snowstorm (animated):

Tailwind (light white clouds and green message text):

Headwind (dark clouds and red color text):

All images made in a little modified version of "1492: Reefs and Weather" mod.

All these effects are included in the attached archive. Everybody are absolutely free to use/modify them as you want.

Attachments

• Weather effects.rar
    576.2 KB · Views: 276
Which effects will rain and snow have to the ship? Are whether effects only on the sea or on land too?

Which effects will rain and snow have to the ship?

Effects are described here in this thread.

Most important:
* Moving Speed
* Damage
* Defense Bonus/Malus
* Production (Yields from Plots)

Are whether effects only on the sea or on land too?

We will have both.
(But weather effects on land will be less common than on sea.)

I fixed some weather effects.

All images made in a little modified version of "1492: Reefs and Weather" mod.

All these effects are included in the attached archive. Everybody are absolutely free to use/modify them as you want.

I have tested these ingame and they look great. :goodjob: I will play around a bit with them and include them in my games for various events, as you kindly offered me to use them for my purposes.

I have tested these ingame and they look great. :goodjob: I will play around a bit with them and include them in my games for various events, as you kindly offered me to use them for my purposes.

Sorry, Ronnar, for some delay. I promised to finish earlier. My main problem is to reach my game PC and to test my modifications.

I strictly follow one simple rule. All my modifications as mods, graphics, etc. are absolutely free for use/change for everybody even if I accidentally forgot to mention it my my post.

That sounds good to me.

As Ray said its not possible to have 2 Features on a tile, so maybe you could limit Winds and Storm only to non-Feature tiles.

I think it would be cool to eventually have some Storms possible on clear land tiles, since I think one of Robert's most interesting planned features is the ability to have a local temporary bonus or malus to tile yields.

That would also be good because there may sometimes be Features in Oceans (Ice, Reef, etc), and realistic since after colonists have cleared the forests, cultivated open lands are more vulnerable to severe weather.

BTW, I have been thinking about eventually trying to make a Hurricane from a retextured Black Hole nif :shifty: .. that won't be ready for this release though may make an interesting possible addon for later! :king:

Top Bottom