[Religion and Revolution]: Unique Buildings

Dutch: National Bank: instead of increasing storage capacity ( booring, who really wants to increase storage space, there's so much already ), +1%/turn Treasury upgrade from Custom House.

Sorry, but we will not implement a feature just for one Nation.

Spanish: Instead of more defense, how about unlock buildable Conquistidors? They ARE Spanish afterall...

Sorry, but "Building Conquistadores" is an absolute nogo for me.
They are Humans and not ships or cannons (which will be changed to professions anyways).

France: The same, but unlocks Buildable Native Mercenaries, melee unit, or a french variant of the native mercenary that isn't quite as good.

Sorry no.
Same as above.

English: The same, but unlocks Buildable Rangers.

Sorry no.
Same as above.

Portugal: I agree with this, perhaps a bonus further to food production for cattle as well? Perhaps a bonus to fishing as well?

We can of course still discuss the balancing of the bonusses. :dunno:

Danes: Too dependant on a rare and easily pirated resource. Perhaps unlcok a danish specific Unique Unit for whale fishing that increases farming production and can handle atleast one or two battles with a privateer ( 4 strength +25% defense against privateers )?

Don't know. :dunno:

Hey, I was trying to throw out ideas that weren't just ( to me ) boring yield bonuses on buildings. I actually didn't think you'd accept any of it.

In balancing the UBs, since there is only one UB per nation, perhaps we should try to ensure that each UB has similar degree of general usefulness and could be created in a good number of your advanced cities. I.e. a UB for advanced general buildings like Custom House, Governor's Palace, or Citadel is a good choice, because those can be completed in a good variety of advanced cities and apply their special bonus. However it may be that Whale Oil Factory or Large Stable is built only in a few specialized cities and will have less overall effect, so maybe it's best to let their UB replace vanilla Customs House or Palace instead of those. I think Tavern and especially Market will get built a good amount, but they're also easier to build and have lower level, so perhaps their bonuses should be somewhat slighter than others, or alternatively that UB could have a somewhat higher yield cost to compensate.

About the request for unique units, I'd agree with Ray it's probably not feasible to make Rangers etc into buildable units.

It would be nice to have a few UUs, but I wouldn't want to continue to add more since there are already very many units/ships in the game. I was thinking, because there are already fifteen ships available to build and buy, this is somewhat of a long list for players to choose from, and it will be cumbersome to balance naval technologies if every one of these is treated as a separate unitclass. Perhaps we could use a few of our existing ships as a unique unit, to give some uniqueness to national fleets.

For example, the Caravela Redonda could be a UU that replaces generic Caravel for Spain and Portugal, which is appropriate since it was actually a version of Caravels used by those nations. Fluyt could be a merchant UU for Dutch and English. This could be an easy way to enable a few good historic UUs and add some uniqueness to naval strategy, while keeping the ship roster from becoming too much, and not needing extra work for graphics or XML. What do other team members think of this, and could anyone suggest one for France/Denmark? :king:

In balancing the UBs, since there is only one UB per nation, perhaps we should try to ensure that each UB has similar degree of general usefulness and could be created in a good number of your advanced cities.

Fully agree. :)

But

1. Custom House can also only be built in Harbor Cities
2. AI will almost never build a Governor's Palace
3. Large Stable really is built quite often (Horses, Cattle and Sheep)

-------

Summary:

There is no really easy way to balance this.
(Except maybe, if we introduce completely new buildings ...)

-------

But at the moment, let us please not spend too much time brainstorming on this.

Please let us all work on finishing Release 1.2. :thumbsup:
(E.g. testing, if you don't have any other tasks.)

Top Bottom