Unable To Upgrade Ships

laurin1

Chieftain
For some reason, I'm not getting the Upgrade Button for ships, even the technology is available. Not even the button that is inactive due to not having resources or not being within my borders.

If gold isn't the problem, I don't know what is.

Are you trying to upgrade caravels to privateers? Because they upgrade to iron clads. Was trying the same in my recent game :D

Are you trying to upgrade caravels to privateers? Because they upgrade to iron clads. Was trying the same in my recent game :D

Without more info, this seems the most likely. Like trying to convert an ironclad to a battleship whereas it goes to a destroyer whiche requires a different technology.

I can't upgrade any ships. I've got caravels, frigates, ironclads and submarines. I don't get the upgrade button for any of them. The documentation says I should get the button (inactive) as soon as I have the technology, but I don't. I'll get a screen shot.

You've got the resources you need, right? Moving past sails needs fuel :)

1. Yes
2. Documentation says that even if I don't, I should have the button once I have the tech, but the button will be inactive - I don't even have the button
3. I already have some Frigates created

Gallasses -> Frigates : Must have Iron
Frigates -> Battleships: Must have Oil (this also frees up an Iron)
Caravel -> Ironclad: Must have Coal

The only upgrades (excluding UUs) not needing resources are:

Triembe -> Caravel
Ironclad -> Destroyer (frees up a Coal)
Privater -> Destroyer

In addition, the unit must be within your territory and you must have gold, (that Privater -> Destroyer upgrade requires a lot)

Gallasses -> Frigates : Must have Iron
Frigates -> Battleships: Must have Oil (this also frees up an Iron)
Caravel -> Ironclad: Must have Coal

The only upgrades (excluding UUs) not needing resources are:

Triembe -> Caravel
Ironclad -> Destroyer (frees up a Coal)
Privater -> Destroyer

In addition, the unit must be within your territory and you must have gold, (that Privater -> Destroyer upgrade requires a lot)

Yes, well, I should be able to upgrade the Caravel to the Ironclad, but I can't. Can some please confirm this statement?

"Documentation says that even if I don't have the resources, I should have the button once I have the tech, but the button will be inactive - I don't even have the button"

Though, I have about 2000 gold and have coal and I'm in my territory.

Please post a screenshot, or even better a save game. Also, are you playing with any mods?

Screenshot you posted shows a Frigate. In order to upgrade to battleship you need Electronics researched as well as the oil. You have the oil. Can you confirm electronics is researched?

No mods, argh, wasn't paying attention. I'll post another one with a Caravel.

I think it's a bug. I'm sure that I should be able to upgrade the Carvel, but I can't.

You do need to have researched Steam Power to upgrade Caravels to Ironclads (in addition to needing coal), so please also confirm that.

I don't mean to be flippant, but you have your units in your territory, right? You can't upgrade outside of your own borders. The problem sounds more fundamental, since you can't see the grayed-out upgrade icon, but remember to bring em home.

Top Bottom