What did you learn from Civ 3?

ac196nataku said:
I'm not sure how many of you people know this, but America is not really a Democracy. Well I guess it's a form of Democracy but really it is a Republic. I guess you could call it a Representative Democracy, but its more of a Republic than a Democracy. I believe a Democratic Republic is the official term for the government in place here.
Not really. America is a continent ;). The United States of America, as its name implies, is a federation. Countries like France and Poland are republics. Read about the difference on wikipedia.org. But both federations and republics are types of states. Democracy, on the other hand, is a form of government. For example, the USA is a federation (type of state) with a presidential democracy (form of government). Canada is a federation with a parlamentary democracy. France is a republic with a presidential democracy.

The "republic" government in Civ3 is really supposed to be what the ancient Greeks and Romans meant by "republic" - i.e. a confederation of city-states or administrative divisions with limited direct democracy.

That Ancient Cavalry didn't need horses, while Crusaders and Swiss Mercenaries didn't need iron. OTOH Infantry and Paratroopers require rubber (for protection against social diseases in foreign lands? :)).

Edit: The civfanatics Conquests Units list says Swiss Mercs don't need iron. But my manual says they do. Better go with the manual on that one?

Civilization III made me more literate in the names of cities and what country or part of the world I might find them in as a child. Of course, Sid Meier's Colonization was much more helpful geographically; before it my knowledge of Gulf and Caribbean geography was nil, limited to Cuba. Now I've sailed up and down the Caribbean countless times, chasing pirates, sacking cities, and hunting treasure galleons, that if some island is mentioned I know where to look. :lol:

Top Bottom