National Wonder Elimination Thread

Maybe you guys are sick of elimination threads, but I'm not.
Time for National Wonders to get in the mix!

Same rules as other elimination threads, post this list in your response and add +1 and -2 to any wonder on the list:

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20
National Epic 20
National Treasury 20
Oxford University 20

Happy voting! Limit to one vote every 24 hours, like the other threads.

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20
National Epic 21
National Treasury 18
Oxford University 20

National Epic is nice when going Tradition and you need something to work on if there aren't any wonders left. National Treasury isn't as good as the others on the list.

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20
National Epic 22
National Treasury 16
Oxford University 20

I agree with the previous commenter. National Treasury just doesn't do as much as the others. And National Epic is great to work on when you don't need to pump units/settlers and have nothing else to build.

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 18
Ironworks 21
National College 20
National Epic 22
National Treasury 16
Oxford University 20

NC is the "best" but I like making Ironworks. Also, that's that crummy one from G&K? That one's the worst.

I don't understand what is the point. Unlike World Wonders and Religious Beliefs, you can always build all of them.

Technically, you can't ALWAYS build ALL of the National Wonders. :p

But I agree with the gist of the argument. National Wonders lack the risk/trade off factor that characterizes the other elimination threads.

Circus Maximus 20
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 18
Ironworks 21
National College 20
National Epic 22
National Treasury 16-2=14
Oxford University 20+1=21

National Treasury- +8 gold is usually meaningless by the time I get around to building it.
Oxford University- A free tech at anytime I chose. If built at the right time, can be very useful.

Circus Maximus 18
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20
National Epic 21
National Treasury 16
Oxford University 22

Oxford University is vital for Deity OCC, this is why I vote for it. When timed well, you can get Astronomy just a few turns before getting the next policy, which effectively sends you in the Renaissance and allows you to go from Tradition directly into Rationalism or with 1 policy spent in Commerce if you managed to get the Oracle. This is big, as you get plenty of extra beakers to play with.

Circus Maximus is kinda ok, but unless the production queue is empty, I would not build it. If you play OCC your city should be happy enough unless you're growing like crazy, and for normal play, almost every city should be able to care for itself - not to mention that you need a Colloseum in every city just to build the Circus Maximus.

You know what would be a fun thread?

Natural Wonder Elimination Thread. I thought thats what the title said - so I was dissapointed to see this instead :p

lol soon enough we'll have a UU/UB thread as well. Already.... lol

I'm just going to guess ironworks, oxford, and national college to be the top 3 rather than voting on it.

lol soon enough we'll have a UU/UB thread as well. Already.... lol

I'm just going to guess ironworks, oxford, and national college to be the top 3 rather than voting on it.

I think the top tier and the low tier are easy enough to predict and rank, but what about everything else? I MUST KNOW WHERE CIRCUS MAXIMUS RANKS. :D

Anybody actually build the Heroic Epic? The 15% sounds so miniscule when I need to build a barrack in every one of my cities when I could be building a library or something.

DGDobrev's votes

Oh, what the heck...

Circus Maximus 18 - 2 = 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 20 + 1 = 21
National Epic 21
National Treasury 16
Oxford University 22

National College is an easy choice.

Circus Maximus, on the other hand, is a surprising choice for me, considering I prefer war mongering, and something that generates happiness should normally be a benefit to a war monger.

However, I dislike how (at least in Vanilla) construction on National Wonders like Circus Maximus is halted and dialed back to zero EVERY SINGLE TIME A NEW CITY IS ACQUIRED.

Needless to say that new cities are acquired quite often as a war monger. How is CM different than NC? Well, Libraries tend to be much higher on my build order than Colosseums are...besides, I don't build Colosseums until my happiness starts to be an issue, which is usually when AFTER my rampaging begins. :p

Circus Maximus 18 - 2 = 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 20
National College 22
National Epic 21
National Treasury 14
Oxford University 22

National treasury: extra money is nice but know where near as good of bonus's that the other N wonders give.

National collage: huge science boost in the early game!

However, I dislike how (at least in Vanilla) construction on National Wonders like Circus Maximus is halted and dialed back to zero EVERY SINGLE TIME A NEW CITY IS ACQUIRED.

It's only halted if you build a new city, annex a captured city, or if you immediately raze a captured city. When annexing/razing a city it's only if that city doesn't already have the prerequisite building. If you're capturing a lot of cities you should be making them puppets before annexing, unless you're razing everything that is. Any hammers you've put into it aren't lost, so it's never "dialed back to zero".

One thing to keep in mind is all national wonders have their hammer cost increase with every city you build/capture. So if there is a NW you really want to build, build it asap and try to delay obtaining more cities until it's completed.

That said, here's my vote.
Circus Maximus 16
Hermitage 20
Heroic Epic 20
Ironworks 21
National College 22
National Epic 21
National Treasury 12
Oxford University 22

Ironworks means I can finish building everything faster.

Treasury would be better if it had a % bonus on top of the straight gold it adds. Unless you take the commerce opener it doesn't matter what city it's built in. Even in the Capital with Commerce that 8 only gets boosted to 16.64. I'd rather have it give just 5 gold and a 25% bonus to all gold produced in the city, because then it might actually be worth building.

Treasury would be better if it had a % bonus on top of the straight gold it adds. Unless you take the commerce opener it doesn't matter what city it's built in. Even in the Capital with Commerce that 8 only gets boosted to 16.64. I'd rather have it give just 5 gold and a 25% bonus to all gold produced in the city, because then it might actually be worth building.

But it does stack with the bank and stock market, correct? So that +8 becomes +14 w/o the commerce opener.

It's only halted if you build a new city, annex a captured city, or if you immediately raze a captured city. When annexing/razing a city it's only if that city doesn't already have the prerequisite building. If you're capturing a lot of cities you should be making them puppets before annexing, unless you're razing everything that is. Any hammers you've put into it aren't lost, so it's never "dialed back to zero".

One thing to keep in mind is all national wonders have their hammer cost increase with every city you build/capture. So if there is a NW you really want to build, build it asap and try to delay obtaining more cities until it's completed.

Yeah, it's that last part that really bugs me, especially when I'm on a war monger roll.

I don't really want to delay my rampage simply to build CM.

I also don't want to build CM before my rampage begins, because the sooner I can start my rampage, the better....although I suppose I could make the same argument for National College as well. :p

What's a hyper active warmonger to do? :p

But it does stack with the bank and stock market, correct? So that +8 becomes +14 w/o the commerce opener.
Yes, but that small amount of extra gold, even with the other multipliers is quickly eaten up by units, buildings, roads, etc. While a static bonus works well for Ironworks, Circus Maximus and Oxford, it doesn't work well for the Treasury.

IMO the treasury should be more like the college and hermitage, because science, culture and gold are the 3 main of the 6 types of game currency. So having the NW of two of those mains give not only a static bonus but a 50% bonus to all science/culture while the treasury does not just makes it the worst of the NW's.

Top Bottom