0.19.1: Unofficial Update to the Unofficial Patch

Dresden

Emperor
Since Solver has been busy and there are some major bugs that need to be addressed, I compiled an update to the unofficial patch. I had wanted to get his approval before posting this but I haven't yet heard back and this has been delayed long enough so I'll just take my lumps.

Given that the main purpose of this release is to fix some things which were broken in 0.19 or have shown up since then, I am calling this 0.19.1. To that end I have chosen to not address things which Solver has explicitly spoken out against; specifically the AI favorite civic redline behavior. The list of changes are below; big thanks to both DanF5771 and jdog5000 for providing some of these fixes.

Changes from version 0.19

File is attached to this post; as with Solver's releases the source for those files which differ from the original 3.17 is included and the documentation is just as sparse. ;) As always, back up your current files before replacing them with these. Update: you can also use grumbler's installer which has been updated to this version.

Please respond to this thread regarding any problems specific to this release. Thanks. The new spread culture behavior may wind up needing some adjustment so I am particularly interested in any comments related to that.

Attachments

• UnofficialPatch_0.19.1.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 725
  • UnofficialPatch_0.19.1.zip
    2 MB · Views: 688
Well done. I think it was needed that someone who could make the necessary changes would stand up and do them. Thank you. :goodjob:

Has anyone tested this with the Steam version of Civ4 / Civ4:BtS? It should "just work", right?

Also, I'd request a .zip and not a .rar but that is kind of nitpicking. Bandwidth is cheap these days, and not everyone installs RAR utilities in Windows anymore ;)

Thanks -- looking forward to testing this patch!

For those of us who don't have a CLUE on how to use a .rar file can someone give proper instruction of installing this patch?

Many thanks in advance!

sb

Righto. You guys win and CFC's bandwidth loses. :p A Zip version has been attached to the first post as well for those who don't have RAR extractors.

@Pchem: As far as I know it should "just work" with the Steam version.

Dresden,

Thanks so much for all of this excellent work!

However, I also urge you (and anyone else doing similar terrific functions) to list somewhere where the files should be extracted, maybe in the README?. I assume it is the BTS folder c:\program files\firaxis games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword a lot of people here just don't know this stuff and get intimidated by the multiple files.

Best wishes,

Breunor

@Breunor: I was originally intending to add some installation instructions since people have made similar requests for Solver's releases but what I had written up at first was even more confusing than letting people fend for themselves. It is definitely an area which is lacking, though, and if I make future releases I'll try to improve it.

There are 3 pieces to this patch: the CvGameCoreDLL.dll file, the Python files, and the XML files. The CvGameCoreDLL.dll file should replace your current one. If you want the patch to apply all the time, then it should go in the Game's installation folder under Assets as in your example. If you have it installed as a MOD, then it'll go in that MOD's Assets folder.

The Python and XML files also should be placed by intended use. To apply all the time for the epic game, place them under CustomAssets in the "My Games" directory and if you are installing as a MOD, place them under the MODs Assets directory.

@r_rolo1: That one I'd prefer leaving to the Better AI team (they are working on it; see Air combat discussion). While the code itself looks like a bug, I'm not sure the current implementation is really as badly broken as some other bugs (like the trade denials). I've read through both your linked topic and the one in Better AI, and it seems like the whole air combat & promo for air units thing is a bigger can of worms than I want to open. :p

For those of us who don't have a CLUE on how to use a .rar file can someone give proper instruction of installing this patch?

Many thanks in advance!

sb

Or you could use the installer linked in my sig and wouldn't have to worry about that. ;)

(re: Steam version - since I have "normal" BTS, I have no idea if the installer also works with that version. If someone gives it a try I would appreciate some feedback.)

Grumbler,

I did use your installer for the original 3.17 version 0.19. Thank you very much!
But to be clear, does this link you offer now include version 0.19.1?
It doesn't seem to be the case, but if you don't mind my asking.

Regards,
sb

could you also release a version of the gamecore.dll that includes the Better BTS AI enhancements as well as your patch? That would make me, (and many others) very happy.
Better BTS generally adds all the Unofficial Patch changes and the latest release even independently addressed some of the things 0.19.1 fixes before this was released. So I'd expect the next release of Better BTS to include everything that's in this release as well.

continued... said:
The first-passs randomiser you pointed to:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6199072&postcount=1310
doesn't specifically mention the forest bug. Is bhruics implementation mentioned in the thread below included as well?

Current Fix for the Forest Spam Bug:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=285320
The first post you linked was Bhruic's response when SevenSpirits first raised the forestation issue along with several other problems in the starting location normalizer. The second thing he responds to in that post (starting with "Yeah, it is rather subjective") is about the overforestation issue although it's easy to overlook it when you don't have the full context of the discussion. The reason I opened the "Current Fix..." topic in this forum was that I didn't see where 0.19 made any noticeable change and I did use Bhruic's implementation as discussed in that topic for 0.19.1.

Top Bottom