Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
Well no one is grabbing you by the throat and forcing you to buy xcom. So what if its advertising it doubles as a better paratrooper. Anyways the focus in brave new world is civs having more interactions aka the world congress. Almost like the xcom council so it could be cool. I would love to see a cooperative scenario where you play with other people fighting against aliens with these xcom units xD.

This game is too realistic to have an X-Com project.
I mean they have worked so hard to keep realism and historic content in the game, that this just throws out the whole feel of the game. It's just too futuristic for the times we have.
I mean it just spits in the face of our history. It's a slap in the face too all the real life people who died when Rome and Carthage were fighting to get our race to Alpha Centurai. That was the greatest, proudest moment of my life. Hail Caesar, our immortal overlord.

This is a painfully weak argument. Yes, Civ has always been pretty abstract. That abstraction doesn't mean it doesn't have to have any ties with the real world.

Civ, at its core, is a game about history. The developers (and even many players) seem to have completely forgotten that.

Civ, at its core, is a game about history. The developers (and even many players) seem to have completely forgotten that.

By introducing a futuristic unit for a brief period of the game that necessarily cannot be tied to history, seeing as it hasn't yet happened?

Are we certain it's a technology, though? It'd make more sense to me for it to be a wonder that allows you production of those units once it's completed. (I've been considering putting a "Metal Gear" Wonder into my near-future mod to allow you to build GDR's that can carry nuclear missiles...)

Are we certain it's a technology, though? It'd make more sense to me for it to be a wonder that allows you production of those units once it's completed. (I've been considering putting a "Metal Gear" Wonder into my near-future mod to allow you to build GDR's that can carry nuclear missiles...)
That's the thing, The only basis we have for this as a tech is an article from Kotaku. I'm hoping it either doesn't exist or it's something like a national project that unlocks them (like the Manhattan Project).

That's the thing, The only basis we have for this as a tech is an article from Kotaku. I'm hoping it either doesn't exist or it's something like a national project that unlocks them (like the Manhattan Project).

In the end, any anxiety that results is kind of pointless... we'll find out one way or another when the game actually comes out. :p Given that I've seen it referred to as the "X-Com Project", I'm leaning towards the "national project" idea, a la the Manhattan Project. It makes a lot more sense that way, rather than making it a technology.

Fortunately, the XCOM unit is a joke. There's no way they'd seriously put it in the game....

Fortunately, the XCOM unit is a joke. There's no way they'd seriously put it in the game....

Except it's not a joke and they are. It's called a tie-in. It happens in comic books and cartoons all the time. Like Wolverine meeting Spiderman and the Jetsons going back in time to meet the Flintstones. Heck, the whole Avengers thing is a tie-in between several Marvel franchises.

I'm okay with it because they said at PAX it was part of a complete filling in various unit chains and there are lots of places where they could improve that. Also, I hope they expand the future era in a DLC down the line and really make that era playable, and make it harder perhaps to win earlier.

"Want" is a strong word. I don't care greatly either way - I don't often get as far as Giant Death Robots anyway so I doubt I'd have much use for these guys.

Honestly, the existing glaring inaccuracies - Ramesses speaking Arabic, for one - are more annoying to me.

This is a painfully weak argument. Yes, Civ has always been pretty abstract. That abstraction doesn't mean it doesn't have to have any ties with the real world.

I couldn't agree more. Civ should be about the past up to the present, not the future. If I want the future added I'll play Call to Power II.

Personally, I don't mind the XCOM Squad. I detest the idea of the XCOM project as a tech though. I'd rather it be arbitrarily tied to an era appropriate tech tech.
You have gotta be kidding me a tech called XCOM project? Are you serious? They are ruining the game.

You have gotta be kidding me a tech called XCOM project? Are you serious? They are ruining the game.
I agree with the sentiment, the XCOM squad is borderline ridiculous, but I still consider it permissible, but the tech is just mad.

I got the information off a Kotaku article, the subtitle says:
Today Firaxis—the makers of both XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Civilization V—announced that you can research something called the XCOM Project in your game of Civ V.

Here's the full article: http://kotaku.com/5992101/youll-soon-be-able-to-use-xcom-soldiers-in--civilization-v (It doesn't really say much though, just a video from PAX).

I agree with the sentiment, the XCOM squad is borderline ridiculous, but I still consider it permissible, but the tech is just mad.

I got the information off a Kotaku article, the subtitle says:

Here's the full article: http://kotaku.com/5992101/youll-soon-be-able-to-use-xcom-soldiers-in--civilization-v (It doesn't really say much though, just a video from PAX).

Ok, I see. The thing is they should just have it come out with the tech GDR comes out with. Why add a new tech? The devs say they listen to the community, right? I do not remember there being a huge outcry for futuristic units.

If that article is reputable then we are getting the unit and tech. I just hope they added some units in the Modern, PostModern, and Atomic Eras and I'll be happy. I don't usually play to the future eras in many games anyway. Mostly I play to either WWII tech or at the most the Cold War. More modern militarywarfare is not all that interesting. There is no real strategy, a button is pushed and you die, while hoping you fire back before that happens. I don't mean just nukes, but conventional warfare also.

Has there ever been a tech that had the word "Project" in it? It's probably something late-game that you have research an existing, or at least realistic, tech, then complete a "project" in order to unlock the unit. Like Atomic Bombs require the Manhattan Project.

You all need to relax before you have aneurysms.

I really wish it were "Plasma weapons" or something like that. Or better yet, use a SMAC tech (e.g., Applied Physics, Nonlinear Mathematics, High Energy Chemistry, or Superconductor).

Top Bottom