New SG!!! Regent? Emperor?

Originally posted by pindicator
Turn 7, 310 AD:
Ooops, I almost forgot to revolt to republic. Think I'll do that now...Oh crap, we draw an 8 turn anarchy...

Stupid question. How do you know how long your anarchy period will be when you revolt?

Reg

On the domestic advisor screen, one of her commentswill tell you when it will be "back under control." Just keep hitting "more" until she tells you.

A quick roster:

M60A3ttS -- now has it
rdomarat -- on deck
Conqueror '91 -- lurking?
SesnofWthr
pindicator -- just played

Pre-turn check, Yax has 4 happy, 5 unhappy citizens. Must be unhappy because they’re not getting any attention. Receive IRS audit from taxman. Anarchy reigns in the empire.
Did a quick city count, Otto has 13, but we only see 3. Must be a chunk of Real Estate to the northeast.

Turn 1. A little worker activity here and there.
IBT, see a settler and worker pass by. Ho hum.

Turn 2. Déjà vu all over again.

Turn 3. Lagartero worker->harbor.

Turn 4. Most exciting turn so far in this sequence. Mount St. Helens goes active.

Turn 5. The citizens come to their senses and decide anarchy ain’t all it’s cut out to be. Mayan Senate meets for first time in the new Republic. But wait, there’s more! A courier has arrived from the northern regions. The Incan governor of Andahuyalas has been caught in a vote-fixing scandal, and has been deposed. It is now a great Mayan city. In appreciation, I starve a citizen to guarantee their loyalty. Editors note: probably totally unnecessary, as what happens next turn. Other governments applaud our new Republic. Good will up a notch with Otto, Abe, and Pikachu. Korea unhappy that they are only ones left in Despotism. Take a chance here and ratchet science down to 50%. Theo now due in 2 vs 1, but gpt –3 to +60.

Turn 6. New Republic still working on it’s internal communications processes. Someone forgets to tell the chief that the Despotic MPs have been let go as part of our reorganization. Yax and Calakmul go into disorder. Chief off to temple of CI to beat head against wall, but not before giving the 2 cities a taxman as a result of their lousy attitudes. Hadn’t noticed until now that we lost that fur when the Greek city culture-popped. Mt. St. Helens goes dormant without so much as a whimper. Sci to 40%, Theo still in 1.

Turn 7. Theology->Education in 5 @90%. We’ll lose TA, so if as a result we lose the temple effect in those cities that never built them, may take a happiness hit. Not quite sure how that works. Hoping that maybe with Edu we’ll pick up another SGL, save it for Bach’s. Moving on, Let’s Make a Deal!

To Germany: Monotheism for Engineering + 21g
To Greece: Mono + Engineering for furs, 71g, 6gpt
To Iroquois: Engineering for 45g
To America: Engineering for 37g
To Incas: Mono for 24g
To Aztecs: A dirty look. They want something from us, it will take more than 5g they have in the bank.
To Korea: A sympathy card. They’re hopeless w/ just 3g.

Quirigua MI-> market. CI to Sistine in 23.

Turn 8. Vegas change library to market. W/ a 0% lux tax, some of our cities are getting big and close to disorder. Can better leverage the luxs w/markets.

Turn 9. Tikal MI->FP. Extend peace treaty w/Monty another 20. Incans have Invention. They’ll break the monopoly for Theo and 240g. I pass. Leo’s is not in anyone’s queue at this time.

Turn 10. Copan MI->settler. I’d suggest filling in that hill spot a little east-ne of Attrition. Yax market->worker. Piedras Negras galley->galley. Galley sails to check out Monty’s coastline.

End assessment: Histograph indicates to me that Iroquois are getting squeezed by lack of growth. Still think Inca-German conflict quite possible given relative strengths. Monty vs Alex maybe. Our military still keeping the others honest. In fact, IIRC we’ve only been hit up once for something, and the Incans backed off. Reg up next if his personal situation allows. Save is on next post, and yes, it works this time. I think;)

Got it. I'll play tonight when I get back from curling unless I fall asleep in the car on the way back.

Curling?!?! Like that ice sport? :rotfl:

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Wow, the Greeks must be pushing culture, because I never noticed Delphi's borders overtaking Quiriguá; it must have happened on my last turn there.

I'm not so sure about us trading Monotheism for such small pittance unless you were hoping for the AI to research Chivalry for us. That's the only benefit to speeding them up at the time, especially for only ~30g per trade.

But the big thing I see with the flip of Andahuaylas is look at that corridor straight to Inca's major cities: with a road in place we could theorhetically hit Ollantaytambo (pop 12, multiple cow bonus tiles), Vitcos (pop 11, rightfully and historically ours), and Vilcas (pop 8, northern coastal town). With all three of these towns in the open, I would suggest waiting for Chivalry before any attack starts; even if they do have muskets by then with the retreat chance it may still be worth an attack with superior numbers.

I guess I'm just eager to :ripper: and :rocket2: the Inca.

Originally posted by SesnOfWthr
Curling?!?! Like that ice sport? :rotfl:

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Yeah, it's a 500 year old sport played by about a half million Canadians. It's a lot of fun. Where's the humour in that?

Ok, I know it's a long and storied sport, but my only real interaction with it is TV. On tv, it looks kind of like bowling on ice. And you have to admit, if you just switched on the tv and men were sweeping ice to clean a path for a rock that another guy slid, you might think it was funny too.

Its also a classic Canadian joke.

That being said, I realize that it's very popular in Canada. I also know that there is certainly more to the sport than my crude summary. IIRC, the men in front are sweeping the ice to cause friction, which sort of pulls the rock along the ice. And the precision these guys have with spin and distance control is pretty impressive too.

But it still looks funny. :p

INBT Bonampak Pike->MI, Incans Building Leo's.

450 (1) - Moved some worker around

INBT - Education ->Invention, TofA obsolete. Yax Worker->MI. Cuello Walls -> Barracks

460 (2) Quir MarketPlace->Library to get culture up and try to get back furs. Fix Calakmul, Cuello, Las Vegas for hapiness since TofA gone. The Greeks will give us 62 gold and 3gpt for our Dyes. What the hell, we're running a deficit and they're not a threat.

INBT - Lazapa Court->Temple. Las Vega Market->Temple

470 (3) - Not much

INBT - Copan Setller->Market. Iroquois building Sun Tzu

480 (4)- Move Settler+Pick to new city suggested by M60.

INBT - Quir Library->Temple (need more Culture!) Andah Worker->Barracks

490 (5) - Workers keep plugging away with Roads through jungle to cuello

INBT - Tula Barracks->Market, Yax MI->Library Bonampak MI -> Library

500 (6) - Almost settling new city, pick up another Sword along the way

INBT - Invention->Chivalry

510 (7) - Nothing much

INBT - Lagerto Harbor->MArketplace Las Vegas Temple->Library Atrition Harbor->Aqueduct

520 (8) - Founded "Hurry Hard" in desert close Aztec city of Texcoco. No option to build curling arena, so I choose temple instead, which will also make the people happy. We should probably rush the temple once we have a few shields against it to snag some land next to Texcoco, which still hasn't expanded.

INBT - Incas are now building Knight Templar. Will have Chivalry soon.

530 (9) - Nothing much

INBT - Calak Court ->Temple Piedras Galley to Harbor.

540 (10) Adjust tech slider w/Chivalry in one turn.

My turns were basically for some infrastructure build up in between major offensive attacks. IMHO, I'd switch Forbidden Palace to Knights Templar, start cranking out the Knights from most cities and run over enough of the Incans that they have no more illusions about being a world power.

I've attached the save, and I believe the Conquest 91 is up next.

Look like Conquerer has missed his 24 hours to say he's got it, so if SesnOfWar is out there, you're welcome to post your "got it" and take over. I've never played a SG before, but it makes sense to me that the first person between Conquerer and SesnOfWar to post "I got it" is up next, and we'll skip Conquerer if SesnofWar gets the next 10 turns.

Here's the lineup :

Conqueror '91 / SesnofWar -- currently up, first one in gets it
pindicator -- on deck (unless Conquerer "gets it" in which case SesnofWar is on deck)
M60A3ttS -- waiting patiently
rdomarat -- just played

Reg

1. GOT IT
2. SesnOfWAR huh? cute.
3. I could have sworn they said that the patch was going to be reverse compatible. :hmm:

May need to do a quick check to see if Tikal will get to Templar if switch off FP before Vegas would if you changed over from temple.
Not sure if the spt of Vegas would get it done sooner, but in any case I agree we should switch immediately. RE the patch, on the bright side, you'll have time to get some good feedback from others before changing.

what's all this talk about upgrade? I like my Windows 3.1 very much, thank you!

Since we seem agreed on the revenge track, I would suggest considering essentially the same plan as proposed a while back, namely one with limited objectives. Factors to consider. We can’t see Machu Pichu in the fog, suffice to say on a floodplains it’s size 12. Adding up the population of all other Incan cities including MP, that adds up to 90. If we take Vilcas (9) Vitcos (12) Ollantaytambo (12) and Vilcabamba (2), that’s over a third of their population. We should only need knights for Vitcos. Everything else at the current border configuration is within 2 tiles, and he can’t reinforce any of them in his first turn with slow-movers, in that the cities are 4 tiles distant from adjacent locations. So we can afford to build 40 shield MI (4/2/1) in most cities within 3 turns. Compared to knights (4/3/2), I’m not sure the extra defense and move pts are worth 30 shields if we go short. A few trebuchets wouldn’t hurt either since we’re talking size 12 cities. If we want a more involved plan, we’ll need more 70 shield knights that will take 4-5 turns. And we still need CI to stay on the wonder track with pre-build for Bach’s once Sistine is in. What other opinions?

Top Bottom