Favorite Settings

* No tribal villages - after getting a Tribe from a goody hut in the 3rd turn I realized tribal villages were not a good idea and launched a new game with them disabled

Only Settler and Chieftain Difficulty levels will give a Tribe from a Goody Hut/Island.

On Noble you and the AI should be approximately on the same Difficulty level. I would suggest starting there next.

JosEPh

Only Settler and Chieftain Difficulty levels will give a Tribe from a Goody Hut/Island.

On Noble you and the AI should be approximately on the same Difficulty level. I would suggest starting there next.

JosEPh

That Tribe bonus should probably still be removed for C2C.

That Tribe bonus should probably still be removed for C2C.

Why? AI starts with 2 tribes on deity. Why not have the player able to get two cities early at the opposite end of the scale?

Why? AI starts with 2 tribes on deity. Why not have the player able to get two cities early at the opposite end of the scale?
The human player can only get a tribe on difficulties settler, chieftain and warlord.

Check out CIV4HandicapInfo.xml in assets\XML\GameInfo.

Was that not changed shortly after V28 was released? If not it certainly should be, that is quite unbalancing (and in favor of the player when it is reversed, which is also not good).

Was that not changed shortly after V28 was released? If not it certainly should be, that is quite unbalancing (and in favor of the player when it is reversed, which is also not good).

But on both ends that's kinda the point. Settler is the unloseable level and Deity (should be) the completely unbeatable level. Period.

Ever tried a Deity game in Vanilla Civ4? I don't think it can be won without extraordinary luck and astonishing skill. Pretty much mathematically it is as close to impossible while leaving the slightest of imaginable possibility of overcoming the unthinkable as it can get.

Basically, before you can get to archers you have solid stacks of doom coming at you from multiple nations ganging up on you and they've got axemen, catapults and soon after swords to follow. Try defending against that with warriors you build at a tenth the rate each opponent plugs out another unit. Oh and lets say you survive that... soon thereafter they have knights storming the gates once you now finally have archers. Don't bother building workers cuz its just an invitation for enemies to swarm and pillage your lands... yeah. It's that tough.

It was changed so that the AI actually benefitted from its extra city instead of dying to the initial maintenance costs.

I agree with Koshling on this one.

How is this bad if you're a new player and just want to get a feel for the mod using the entry Difficulty levels? Otherwise why did Sid and Co. give vanilla BtS this Option?

JosEPh

But on both ends that's kinda the point. Settler is the unloseable level and Deity (should be) the completely unbeatable level. Period.

Ever tried a Deity game in Vanilla Civ4? I don't think it can be won without extraordinary luck and astonishing skill. Pretty much mathematically it is as close to impossible while leaving the slightest of imaginable possibility of overcoming the unthinkable as it can get.

Basically, before you can get to archers you have solid stacks of doom coming at you from multiple nations ganging up on you and they've got axemen, catapults and soon after swords to follow. Try defending against that with warriors you build at a tenth the rate each opponent plugs out another unit. Oh and lets say you survive that... soon thereafter they have knights storming the gates once you now finally have archers. Don't bother building workers cuz its just an invitation for enemies to swarm and pillage your lands... yeah. It's that tough.

Nah, you just aren't good at vanilla. I'm very rusty (used to play on Emperor) but there are people who can win Deity games like I did Noble games. I really don't know how they do it. But I could probably survive for a time in Deity and maybe even win if I'm lucky. In BTS, unlike C2C, every single turn counts. You can't play it remotely the same way.

Also, what are the effects of having Limited Religions? Do we have decent religion diversity and spread without it?

Nah, you just aren't good at vanilla. I'm very rusty (used to play on Emperor) but there are people who can win Deity games like I did Noble games. I really don't know how they do it. But I could probably survive for a time in Deity and maybe even win if I'm lucky. In BTS, unlike C2C, every single turn counts. You can't play it remotely the same way.

Also, what are the effects of having Limited Religions? Do we have decent religion diversity and spread without it?

I was able to consistently dominate on deity in V28. I can't in the latest SVN though.

I was able to consistently dominate on deity in V28. I can't in the latest SVN though.

I started an Immortal game shortly before V27 and have kept playing it on and off since then, and the AI is much more of a threat now in battle than it was before. Now it will actually invade me and attack my inner cities if I don't keep a stack around to distract them. They will however still be tied up by a stack of doom, probably because they don't know how to SAD.

I started an Immortal game shortly before V27 and have kept playing it on and off since then, and the AI is much more of a threat now in battle than it was before. Now it will actually invade me and attack my inner cities if I don't keep a stack around to distract them. They will however still be tied up by a stack of doom, probably because they don't know how to SAD.

SAD?

Also, what effect does Limited Religions have? :please:

Limited Religions makes it so that only a civilization that does not have a current holy city AND has never HAD a holy city, can found a religion. Thus, in short, you only get to found one religion each.

Limited Religions makes it so that only a civilization that does not have a current holy city AND has never HAD a holy city, can found a religion. Thus, in short, you only get to found one religion each.

As I said above, with the new Religious founding AI from V27 it is not that much of a problem anymore. So I would not see much reason to use Limited Religions anymore, although some still may want it for one reason or another.

How does this "religious founding AI" work? What has it improved?

The AI makes an effort to get Religion techs if it hasn't founded a religion yet now.

And this is effective? What about the Civs who have founded religions? Do they stop valuing religious techs entirely?

Also, since religious techs are essentially useless except for religion-founding, if a religion spreads to a city, could we give the owner the corresponding tech for the sake of realism?

And this is effective? What about the Civs who have founded religions? Do they stop valuing religious techs entirely?

Also, since religious techs are essentially useless except for religion-founding, if a religion spreads to a city, could we give the owner the corresponding tech for the sake of realism?

As I said above, at least in my experience it is effective.

Just letting you know, in my v27 game, Roosy of France and King of the Incas have 12 religions between them (5 and 7 respectively). They don't seem to be able to stop....! :confused:

And they're doing okay - at least King is and Roosy would be if he wasn't my neighbour. But it won't surprise you that they're lagging behind me, Pacal and Gus in the tech race.

Top Bottom