Guess the UA/UB/UU of the civs

I think a ball court as coloseum replacement with +faith is likely. Ritual sacrifice was a big part of the game IIRC.

I would also like to see a temple/obseratory type building. I think a temple with science benefit would be better, but observatories with faith would work too.

I am really hoping they get 2 UBs though to differentiate them from the more warlike Aztecs

I am not really a fan of an observatory for the UB. A Step Pyramid/Ball Court would be better I think. While looking at something like Caracol is cool... there really weren't many observatories.

Plus I am afraid they will butcher the Calender UA, so don't want them to double butcher it.

Yeah I think the best UB would be a step pyramid temple with a science benefit, over an observatory replacement. Wonder if they would consider giving a scientist slot in the temple. That could be cool.

Do you think any other civ will get a UI like the Dutch, or is 1 in 9 enough?
And what about two unique units? We know the Huns and Carthage have two, and many suspect cataphracts will join the dromon to give Byzantine two as well.
I think the Celts will have two UUs and the rest one of each, as any ideas I can think of a unique building seem boring or better unique buildings exist (i.e In what way can the Dun be better than the Walls of Babylon, unless they give it something unrealistic like a faith bonus)

Do you think any other civ will get a UI like the Dutch, or is 1 in 9 enough?
And what about two unique units? We know the Huns and Carthage have two, and many suspect cataphracts will join the dromon to give Byzantine two as well.
I think the Celts will have two UUs and the rest one of each, as any ideas I can think of a unique building seem boring or better unique buildings exist (i.e In what way can the Dun be better than the Walls of Babylon, unless they give it something unrealistic like a faith bonus)

I actually think a UI is preferable to a UB: both in terms of them actually being visible objects on the map, and also in that they can be more meaningfully different. With buildings, construction can often be a no-brainer, especially things like the Paper Maker ("Oh, so my library also produces gold, that's cool I guess."). The two UIs currently in-game, and the upcoming Polder are completely unique in that they don't actually replace anything at all.

Even just in terms of coolness I think, if there exist two exciting UUs, they'll include them. If not, I'd rather a nice UI over a UB. They can certainly do better than Duns.

Let's go through the list for possible UIs.
Carthage - No
Huns - No
Austrians - Probably Not
Byzantines - Probably Not
Maya - Maybe, but I can't think of any
Celts - Possibly
Ethiopia - Possibly
Mystery Civ - Possibly

Let's go through the list for possible UIs.
Carthage - No
Huns - No
Austrians - Probably Not
Byzantines - Probably Not
Maya - Maybe, but I can't think of any
Celts - Possibly
Ethiopia - Possibly
Mystery Civ - Possibly

For the Maya you could have the UI: Cenote and the Step Pyramid could work as a UI. I like to joke with family whenever I am in Guatemala that every other hill is actually a ruin. But really there are so many ruins and pyramids all across the Maya world that it could be a UI. Its not what people picture when they think of the Maya, but the Jungles had shrunk a great deal with the extreme urbanization our ancestors achieved.

I wish we knew more about the scribes of our people and where codices were held. You hear the occasional story of the Spanish Priest who tried to save some of our books only for them to be burned... but I think we will still find more about our former literature.

When Flores fell to the Spaniards it was supposedly the last stronghold of our codices. Supposedly the Cruzobs who went on fighting for decades and established a new form of religion brought some of these books to Belize and I am sure as time passes we will find more of our past literature.

Its just a shame when I think about it...

I actually tought of a UI trading post for jungles, or in tiles next to them, mainly because it would look really cool to see temples spreading beyond the city. But my idea is that the Mayans should be able to take advantage of the terrain in a tropical start bias.

Despite all their achivements in the astronomical and mathematical areas, I cant picture them as a civ comepletely focused on science, we have Babylon and Korea for that. After all they always were a Theocracy, religion was everywhere, in construction, art, the calendar, even their numbers had deities corresponding to them. Even colonial and modern mayans had the core at their resistance in faith.

I hope they take advantage of that and give them a UA to reflect that particular flavor, faith based with a side science bonus.

If they go with the ball court thats fine, but I would like to see something unique to reflect that particular flavor.

Atlatl might have jungle bonuses, fwiw.

Allow it to reach its full range while in jungle? (i.e., selective blind fire for jungle).

That could work, or something I was thinking of was maybe a poison effect where units hit by an atlatl suffer small damage per turn until they return to their own territory/cities? Might be too powerful, maybe until they heal next to a fresh water tile or unit with medic?
Or maybe even those units hit by an atlatl suffer a strength reduction penalty like the maori ability which lasts for a set number of turns.

For the Maya you could have the UI: Cenote and the Step Pyramid could work as a UI. I like to joke with family whenever I am in Guatemala that every other hill is actually a ruin. But really there are so many ruins and pyramids all across the Maya world that it could be a UI. Its not what people picture when they think of the Maya, but the Jungles had shrunk a great deal with the extreme urbanization our ancestors achieved.

As I've said before, I doubt they'll have a Cenote as a UI. AFAIK, the Mayans didn't actually dig cenotes, they're a pre-existing terrain feature of the Yucatan landscape. Step Pyramids, on the other hand, could be a UI that generates faith (similar to Polynesia's UI that generates culture & gives a combat bonus to nearby units).

That could work, or something I was thinking of was maybe a poison effect where units hit by an atlatl suffer small damage per turn until they return to their own territory/cities? Might be too powerful, maybe until they heal next to a fresh water tile or unit with medic?
Or maybe even those units hit by an atlatl suffer a strength reduction penalty like the maori ability which lasts for a set number of turns.

My guess is that they're spearmen that also have a ranged attack.

A composite bowman with indirect fire could be very interesting. Similar to the longbowman for England. That would be a fun unit to play with, and lead to an awesome upgrade path.

As I've said before, I doubt they'll have a Cenote as a UI. AFAIK, the Mayans didn't actually dig cenotes, they're a pre-existing terrain feature of the Yucatan landscape. Step Pyramids, on the other hand, could be a UI that generates faith (similar to Polynesia's UI that generates culture & gives a combat bonus to nearby units).

I know that; but they did become interesting places of worship. I guess improvement wouldn't be the best term for it but caves and cenotes were used throughout Maya culture and civilization. (Which is why I think Cenotes could work as a UI)

How about instead of calling the UI a cenote, call it a Cenote Temple or something, and it's built on jungle. That way you're taking an existing, natural structure (the cenote) and building a religious complex on it which is the Tile Improvement.

pretty much what I tought off.

I wish they gave some more info on the Maya, its worrying me that its going to be something cheesy related to 2012.

Top Bottom