Fixing revolutions.

crazyewok

Warlord
Just wondering if there is anyway to fix this features?

Some of my best games have been about keeping a rebellious empire together.

Would it be simple just to disable revolutions for all AI players and only have it effect human players?

1.No, or it would've been done long ago.
2.Understood that many like that part of rev.
3.No.

One of our very best past C++ coders/modders looked into Rev a long time ago and declared it was a can of worms. While some work was done on it it was only fringe.

And rooting Rev out of C2C would be a Major, Major task that no one wants to tackle at this time.

Sorry but what you see with Rev is what you get.

JosEPh

Not sure if this is possible, but can we have buildings that are autobuild if the player is AI?
If so, you could add a +100 Rev stability for AI players in a proxi building.

If not, add +100 rev to each city, and a -100 rev stability building that costs 1 hammer. No AI would build it, but if a player decides to do so, they can play with rev while the AI doesn't have it.

I wouldn't mind if Rev was made weaker in general if it was at the same time made stronger in multireligious/multicultural cities. This would deter superblobbing empires (i.e. the player) and the stacking-as-many-religions-as-possible exploit that only players use.

This is entirely possible.

There is a config document in User Settings called "Revolution.ini"
If you open it you will find a huge list of options (like pretty much all the code behind revolutions it is immense, complex, and terrifying). If you search Revolution, you should find a list in which you can, for example, decrease the bonus you get from stationing units in a city, and increase the penalty from non-state religions (I am not sure if this is added to by each additional non-state religion).

The ones you are looking for are "IndexModifier" and "HumanIndexModifier". Reduce the number next to IndexModifier to reduce instability everywhere. Increase HumanIndexModifier to make your cities more unstable.

For example:
IndexModifier = 0.5
HumanIndexModifier = 2.0

would halve the rate at which rebelliousness changes for AI, while keeping it consistent for the player.

Alternatively, there is a modifier called Offset, which I think gives a passive + or - stability to everyone or the player. You could modify that in the same way.
There are other modifiers in the list which you might be able to use to achieve Noriad's aims.

This is entirely possible.

There is a config document in User Settings called "Revolution.ini"
If you open it you will find a huge list of options (like pretty much all the code behind revolutions it is immense, complex, and terrifying). If you search Revolution, you should find a list in which you can, for example, decrease the bonus you get from stationing units in a city, and increase the penalty from non-state religions (I am not sure if this is added to by each additional non-state religion).

The ones you are looking for are "IndexModifier" and "HumanIndexModifier". Reduce the number next to IndexModifier to reduce instability everywhere. Increase HumanIndexModifier to make your cities more unstable.

For example:
IndexModifier = 0.5
HumanIndexModifier = 2.0

would halve the rate at which rebelliousness changes for AI, while keeping it consistent for the player.

Alternatively, there is a modifier called Offset, which I think gives a passive + or - stability to everyone or the player. You could modify that in the same way.
There are other modifiers in the list which you might be able to use to achieve Noriad's aims.

Interesting I am trying this

There does seem to be something very odd going on with revolutions at the moment. I don't seem to be able to get terribly far into the prehistoric era without my people wanting to kill me, presumably because of all the disease and starvation that I can't do anything about yet.

Attachments

• revolting.jpg
    revolting.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 176
There does seem to be something very odd going on with revolutions at the moment. I don't seem to be able to get terribly far into the prehistoric era without my people wanting to kill me, presumably because of all the disease and starvation that I can't do anything about yet.

Yes I had that too.

Thought it was because of my edits

Yes I had that too.

Thought it was because of my edits

It is possible we have both done the same foolish thing, but I don't think I've edited anything. Everything is just how the SVN wants it, so far as I can tell. But if this was happening to everyone, I'd expect the forum to be filled with howls of despair, which is not the case, so I suppose it must be something amiss with my install somehow.

It is possible we have both done the same foolish thing, but I don't think I've edited anything. Everything is just how the SVN wants it, so far as I can tell. But if this was happening to everyone, I'd expect the forum to be filled with howls of despair, which is not the case, so I suppose it must be something amiss with my install somehow.

It happened to me almost straight away in 1 game.

the next I controlled it but down to luck really (got health under control quick)

You're not alone; It looks like revolution stuff is being multiplied for the human player.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14268962&postcount=2153
I'm getting 3 popups (presumably three chance "rolls" as to whether a revolution occurs or not) each turn, so as soon as I'm out of one revolt I'm immediately in another and I can't get out of it.
(Edit: for clarity; I've made no .ini edits, so this is "vanilla" C2C behaviour; at least on SVN 9229)

I'm not sure how high it is on the fix list, given the complications and balance issues mentioned earlier.
I'm playing without Revolutions now, as every game I've tried it snowballs too much for me to keep under control.

I suppose turning the revolt multiplier down for the human player might keep the first revolts at bay so you don't immediately start snowballing?

It is possible to play through it, but it rules out a lot of starting locations that would otherwise be viable. The spot in my screenshot would have been fine, eventually, but there was no way to deal with the health situation from the terrain before revolts started spawning rebels everywhere.

Spose we'll have to look at this before release at least. There are some things I specifically know require debugging in rev that I've been long meaning to address and I experienced SOME problems with early revolts in our MP game but once I got some anti-crime buildings that reduce revolt in place I was good to go from there. But these reports make it sound like the problem is now much worse. Not sure why but at some point I'll look into it.

It looks like revolution stuff is being multiplied for the human player.

I checked this out it is not.

Spose we'll have to look at this before release at least. There are some things I specifically know require debugging in rev that I've been long meaning to address and I experienced SOME problems with early revolts in our MP game but once I got some anti-crime buildings that reduce revolt in place I was good to go from there. But these reports make it sound like the problem is now much worse. Not sure why but at some point I'll look into it.

The problem is probably that long term players have adapted to the changes as they were introduced while for new players it is a steep learning curve. I have not had a revolution in over a year now at any stage of the game.

All of the buildings that give positive/negative stability per city impact all cities atm(so the effect of the early crime buildings is to strong) and the new ai players seem to cause the code that checks if there is a revolt/unrest in a city that turn 3 times per turn

The problem is probably that long term players have adapted to the changes as they were introduced while for new players it is a steep learning curve. I have not had a revolution in over a year now at any stage of the game.

Please look at my screenshot. There is absolutely nothing I could do to avoid revolution. I tried multiple strategies from the same starting save.

Top Bottom