August Patch (1.0.1.383) is out!

Now Bradenburg Gate and Seaport looks tasty

Considering many of the "meh" comments here.

Meh.

I quite like the game, god knows im playing it constant.

but this patch just didnt set the heather alight for me. the detractors of the game have some valid points and they need addressed.

Considering many of the "meh" comments here, its a wonder they bother with patches at all. Not a lot of gratitude - would you rather have them abandon the game entirely? It's a for profit company and of late I've had few of them really try to please customers. This outfit is still doing something. I appreciate it for that much, at least. I don't expect "wonders" but the fact that they are still supporting the game is a good thing in my mind.

It's quite a feat that they turned it round from what it was. Really we can justifiably have a bit of confidence in the devs now. Some people remain to be convinced though.

I expect at least one more patch to work on multiplayer.

You seem to misunderstand the point of expansions. They've never been designed to release content, they're designed to keep people employed. DLC exists in lieu of the expansion model. With expansions, you invest a ton of money into something and hope it sells well. Then everyone gets paid. With DLC, you invest less money into part of something and sell that. Then you keep going. There's no financial incentive for an expansion.

I didn't say you wouldn't see any more patches. We will. They just won't be to the size and extent of previous patches. The developers, I believe, are satisfied with the game flow in single player, which is the biggest aspect of the game. You will continue to see small tweaks, but you won't see any major patches.

I disagree with your thinking on expansions. Major new features will be added via expansions: some sort of spy mechanism and Civ V variants of religion, corporations, etc. By Civ V variants, I don't mean they will include those things, but they will include major new game features similar to the way they were released in CiIV. The DLC model will continue to be used for civs, maps, and scenarios, but not for anything deeper. We'll see who is right over time, but I don't see them abandoning expansions in favor of major features provided via DLC.

It's quite a feat that they turned it round from what it was. Really we can justifiably have a bit of confidence in the devs now. Some people remain to be convinced though.

If they're not convinced by now, they simply don't like the CiV mechanics and game flow.

I just wish there was hope that one day we could have meaningful relations with other civs. I understand the argument that the cIV diplomacy was easily gamed, yet I don't feel like the inherently hostile CiV diplomacy has made the game better.

On the whole, people sure don't seem to be having a hard time beating CiV in spite of the "human/mp-style" AI's, but a lot of people miss real alliances and psychologically stable (if easily befriended) partners in diplomacy. Seems just as "gameable" as cIV diplomacy.

Anyone else unable to run the game since the patch installed? I double click ciV, the window opens saying "Preparing to launch civilization 5" and then the window closes and that's it.

<edit>Er, nevermind, I read back. Validating game cache did the trick.

I guess they take effect immediately. I left for work this morning with the game up and in progress (and saved, luckily). when I came home, the system had crashed. I rebotted, and went back into Civ5 to find the game release level already updated. Loading the saved game showed Seoul still had the same name on the main map, but when I mouse over it the name is shown as Katmandu. It also shows as Katmandu in the Diplomacy screen. weird eh?

Is it just me, or does the new patch create a graphical glitch with Oda Nobunaga? I get a line across his face/it looks like he has a black eye.

Loading the saved game showed Seoul still had the same name on the main map, but when I mouse over it the name is shown as Katmandu. It also shows as Katmandu in the Diplomacy screen. weird eh?

Yeah, same here. :crazyeye:

As a multiplayer, I'm happier about this patch than others because most of these issues should've been taken care of in the first patch or even before the game was released, not almost a year later. Now if they add multiplayer animations and improve diplomacy, I'll be slightly satisfied with this game.

I just wish there was hope that one day we could have meaningful relations with other civs. I understand the argument that the cIV diplomacy was easily gamed, yet I don't feel like the inherently hostile CiV diplomacy has made the game better.

On the whole, people sure don't seem to be having a hard time beating CiV in spite of the "human/mp-style" AI's, but a lot of people miss real alliances and psychologically stable (if easily befriended) partners in diplomacy. Seems just as "gameable" as cIV diplomacy.

Exactly. Civ4's diplomacy was far superior to Civ5. It's impossible to have real alliances in the game because a civ is pretty much guaranteed to backstab you. Renouncing is out of hand. You could even help a civ in a war, and they'll renounce you if you crush your mutual enemy. No one ever wants to make fair deals, even friendly civs and allies. I still have to trade 3 luxuries, a couple military resources, plus gold for 1 luxury resource. The best diplomacy is to kill everyone, then you don't have to worry about them and you can just take what you want by force.

Is it just me, or does the new patch create a graphical glitch with Oda Nobunaga? I get a line across his face/it looks like he has a black eye.

Yeah, running in to a couple of hwachas on your way to Korea will do that for you..

Exactly. Civ4's diplomacy was far superior to Civ5. It's impossible to have real alliances in the game because a civ is pretty much guaranteed to backstab you. Renouncing is out of hand. You could even help a civ in a war, and they'll renounce you if you crush your mutual enemy. No one ever wants to make fair deals, even friendly civs and allies. I still have to trade 3 luxuries, a couple military resources, plus gold for 1 luxury resource. The best diplomacy is to kill everyone, then you don't have to worry about them and you can just take what you want by force.

This has been debated over and over already, and in the end proves to be a biased and flawed statement.
CiV diplomacy is different then CIV.
Both of the approaches got their merits and arguments, and both of them have been critized and aplauded.

looks like the best patch ever to me
you can invite ppl to games!!!
after 1 year
you can also un-end turn

took long but finally there it is

You could always invite people to play... only your friends, but you still could.

All you had to do is go Alt+Tab and click INVITE TO GAME on their name in friends list.

meh

it looks half assed to me.

Nothing much fixed with AI, including naval ops. Looks like it is Total War for the future! To hell with Civ 5, I'll wait for 6! :mad:

This has been debated over and over already, and in the end proves to be a biased and flawed statement.
CiV diplomacy is different then CIV.
Both of the approaches got their merits and arguments, and both of them have been critized and aplauded.

Play Total War Civ 5 diplomacy is horrible, lame, and static. Everyone knows that!

I admit I didnt read the whole thread (mostly because nobody seem to talk about the changes in tactical AI).

So has anyone noticed any difference in the combat AI? Is it any better?

Also, what the hell does this mean: "AI will avoid using land units for an operation if they are currently on a different continent than the muster point."?

To me that sentence makes only little sence. If I understand it correctly, the AI somehow "used" units in operation that took place in a different continent of where the units were..?

Thanks.

Top Bottom