Term III Goals

They're very nice spots, but I don't think we are ready to settle so far away.

Growing the population of a few closer cities will allow us to support more troops. We are also at the limit of free support for troops outside our borders.

Maybe the warrior outside GCA can explore west of Fever River before going on sentry duty, and after settling site 2 that city garrison can explore south for a little bit. We may find closer Iron in one of those locations.

Just glancing at zx's idea, yes indeed they are very nice spots as 1889 has said however they are way to far away to be considered as our 3rd cities unless we want to cripple our economy.

I decided to revive this thread because I’m reconsidering Zyxy's city locations. Expansion to the NW is going to be risky, expansion across the bay to the east is going to be dangerous, but building the colossus will be risky too, we are not the first to realize the value of that wonder on this map (although I may have been the last :))

On balance I'd rather take the first risk, even if we don't get those city spots settled first, the army that would allow us to settle where we please is an end worth pursuing in itself. If we miss the colossus we are left with nothing but a ripe treasury

This looks like a good area to settle:

Floodplains, seafood, gold, and the only source of iron as far as we know. We are probably the only civ that can see iron right now - let's leverage that advantage!
Once we settle red dot the area is practically unreachable to BAT or anyone else, except by boat or by an enormous detour, and we can settle the other cities at leisure.
The only problem is that this is far from our capital. Defense will be tricky for a while, and we may need courts and cottages to pay for it. But it is definitely worth it.
They are excellent cities, if they were close to u, but unfortunately they are just so far away, but the good think is that they are far away from everyone else also. So if we do decide to go for them, we need to make sure that our economy i up to scratch beforehand.

Just went into worldbuilder;

Yellow would cost 5, Red 6 and Green 7. But those cities will have trade routes, probably foreign trade routes. And we don't need to settle them all now, our population is growing, we can build more cottages or work coastal tiles. Even if we settle much closer maintenance will be 2-3 and look what we get for that!

We can settle there if we want it.

We get a couple of hard to defend cities, iron and gold. We would need a large army in that 1 city just have a likely chance of defending it in the more likely chance of an attack. It would be much more beneficial to build 10 axes and attack either GCA or BAT.

Hmm...maybe, but those 10 axes will have support and away costs to pay also.

Hmm...maybe, but those 10 axes will have support and away costs to pay also.

But they will be taking cities, and the cities will still be growing while we build them. We need to defeat some civs to get through to the next round. If we try to be a no one, someone who takes the initiative and attacks another civ, they'll have twice the land as everyone else all of a sudden. Which gives them much potential to walk all over their neighbours. If GCA is as agressive as people like CivG make out, then they will take the initiative at 1 point and conquer us or someone else, and kill us then or later..

too expensive..lets just go take some closer cities. let others extend themselves with far flung cities. Lets stay nice and tight and kick other civs out this game.

I think that piece of land was set there as "bait " to see who can go build there and hold it or die trying. this is s a man made map...every tile has a set "purpose" or reason for being there. Sirian is a tricky guy who likes to screw with people heads..check out the Realms beyond games if you dont think so.

I think we are the only other ones who might take it. I don't think we are outsmarting the map maker by surrendering it BAT uncontested, I think it is more like a prize that goes to the bold.

Top Bottom