Team Building

So say you all? If thats what you're going with I'll get the scores.

A perfect score is 15, the worst is 50. Rob gets....23! Congratulations you survive.

My list:
  1. a plastic aeronautical map of the area
  2. 20x20 ft. (6x6 m) piece of heavy-duty canvass
  3. extra shirt and pants for each person
  4. a compass
  5. family sized chocolate bars (one for each person)
  6. a can of Crisco shortening
  7. a small ax
  8. newspapers (one for each person)
  9. cigarette lighter (without fluid)
  10. one quart (or one litter) of 100-proof whiskey
  11. a loaded .45-caliber (11mm) pistol
  12. a ball of steel wool

Getting colder Dutch, thats a 36. Do you want to be served as a roast or a stew?

nah he gets cooked in a Dutch oven of course.

All my watching of Survivorman has paid off.

Hey 1889...I'd like to have the link for this..curious as to what they suggested.

I no longer have the link handy, but a Google search spews out a bunch of this stuff, I'm looking for another one we can do.

I will post a full explanation when I get a chance.

Many individuals overlook the enormous shock that results from such accidents and the detrimental effect shock has on judgment. That in itself is a powerful reason to stay with the wreckage and await rescue. The crash site will also be much easier to spot especially in a wooded area and when considering that the pilot’s flight plan should give rescuers a good idea were to search.

A 20 mile walk is a long way particularly for those not used to walking such distances. Under these circumstances it would mean almost certain death.

The first priority then is to stay warm next would be to attract the attention of rescuers.

These rankings were made by Mark Wanvig, former instructor in survival training for the Recon school of the US Army 101st Division.
  1. cigarette lighter (without fluid)
    A fire will provide warmth and help rescues find you. Without matches, something is needed to produce sparks; even without fluid the lighter can do that.
  2. a ball of steel wool
    This is the best substance for catching sparks and supporting a flame, even if slightly wet.
  3. extra shirt and pants for each person
    Besides warmth, clothes can be used for shelter, signaling, bedding, bandages, string, and fuel for the fire.
  4. a can of Crisco shortening
    A mirror like signaling device can be made from the lid; after shinning it with the steel wool it can generate 6 million candlepower from reflected sunlight, bright enough to be seen beyond the horizon. With no other means of signaling they should have better than 80% chance of being rescued the first day.
    The shortening can be rubbed on skin as protection from cold. When melted into oil and soaked in cloth it will serve as a candle.
    The empty can serve as a bowl for melting snow.
  5. 20x20 ft. (6x6 m) piece of heavy-duty canvass
    Can be used as a shelter from snow and wind, or as a ground cover to keep survivors dry. The contrast between this regular shape and the surrounding terrain will make the group more visible to rescuers.
  6. a small ax
    A constant supply of wood will be needed for the fire, hence the utility of the axe.
  7. family sized chocolate bars (one for each person)
    Made mostly of carbohydrates, chocolate provides food energy without making digestive demands on the body.
  8. newspapers (one for each person)
    Useful for starting a fire or rolled up and stuffed in clothing for additional insulation. It can also provide reading material for recreation.
  9. a loaded .45-caliber (11mm) pistol
    Useful as a sound-signaling device. The butt can be used as a hammer.
    As anger, frustration and lapses in rationality increase as the group awaits rescue, the availability of a lethal weapon poses a danger to the group.
    Although it could be used for hunting, it would require an expert marksman to kill an animal with it. The animal would then still have to be brought back to the crash site.
  10. one quart (or one litter) of 100-proof whiskey
    Can be used to soak cloth and make torches. It poses a danger if drunk as alcohol dilates blood vessels in the skin increasing heat loss.
  11. a compass
    May possibly be used as a reflector, but is dangerous as it may encourage some to attempt to walk out.
  12. a plastic aeronautical map of the area
    Useless except as a ground cover.

Top Bottom