PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

The situation in Duke's Lithuania is reminding me a bit of balancing the budget in 'Crisis in the Kremlin', if anyone's ever played it as a 10 year old with no manual or advice whatsoever... though not as bad oc :D (and the Duke problems mainly relate merely to taking the offensive).
I dig this~ your NPCs are worthy polities and subunits Perfectionist.

I have a stat question. The stats seem limited in what they say about a nation and what we do as leaders.

Ruler: Name
Heirs: name
Government: may change over the course of a game, but it is not too likely given 3 year turns.
Culture: Again not likely to change much.
Factions (Strength/Confidence): I can see how this is a dynamic stat and wil change from turn to turn or as spending influences them.
Revenue – Expenses (Treasury/Debt): this also will cahnge, but it seems taht taxes are the only way to add to revenue and army costs will add to expenses.
Army: affected by spending and wars
Army Description: Given short turns i would not expect this to change much
Navy: affected by spending and wars
Navy Description: Not likley to change much
Prestige: I guess this will change per events

The red stats are those over which players can have some control. And generally, if it is not a stat it is not important to the game. There doesn't seem to be any place to spend money other than on one's army/navy or factions. You've said that the only real way to increase revenue is to raise taxes so any economic efforts would be a waste as would education or infrastructure. It appears to me that any money spent on items other than the red stats would be wasted. And you have taken trade off the table as an effective vehicle for economic prosperity; what's left beyond preparing for war and keeping your factions under control?

Also, do you have a preferred format for orders?

And you have taken trade off the table as an effective vehicle for economic prosperity

Not at all; if you increase the volume of trade, you're naturally increasing the amount that your excise taxes bring in. Actually doing so is much more complicated than the typical NESer approach of "lol free trade," however. In a mercantilist era, it typically involves acquiring monopolies and constricting rival nations' merchants access to critical markets. Though Masada and others can tell you more about this than I, of course.

Your assumptions about the army and navy descriptions might be misjudged as well, though reforms will probably take multiple terms to implement.

There doesn't seem to be any place to spend money other than on one's army/navy or factions.
There's a huge volume of things one could spend money on that indirectly affect prestige, faction loyalty, faction confidence, and other things.

But the overwhelmingly largest item in everyone's expenditure will be the military, and since that's the way it's always been for basically every state ever up to a few centuries before the modern day, this should not be particularly surprising. States exist as entities to provide security and therefore run a military at the most basic level.

Are we responsible for naming our leaders/tracing succession/etc?
You're responsible for naming them, I'm responsible for keeping track of succession.

There doesn't seem to be any place to spend money other than on one's army/navy or factions.
You can spend money on all kinds of things that affect prestige, faction loyalty, military success, governmental efficiency, and any number of situational things. But, yes, the military is the most important component of state expenditure. That's a truism for nearly all pre-modern states.
You've said that the only real way to increase revenue is to raise taxes so any economic efforts would be a waste as would education or infrastructure.
Depends how you define waste. They might make your people happy, and two centuries down the line they might conceivably pay off, but they wouldn't be money makers in the immediate or near future. Counting on economic growth to increase revenue just isn't a good idea in the pre-industrial era.
And you have taken trade off the table as an effective vehicle for economic prosperity
Oh, not at all; trade, or rather the taxes exacted from trade, is a very important revenue component of many states. It's just that most of the usual NESer trade-boosting mechanisms, even if they do actually boost trade, don't increase the amount the state skims off the top.
what's left beyond preparing for war and keeping your factions under control?
What else should 16th century states be doing, really? :p

Also, do you have a preferred format for orders?
No, so long as your spending is clearly marked, and preferably near the top.

Who is in power in the Crimea? Is it the Girays?
No, it's some Chinggisid dynasty that I haven't bothered to name.

Be creative and you'll find no shortage of interesting things to spend money on.

Depends how you define waste. They might make your people happy, and two centuries down the line they might conceivably pay off, but they wouldn't be money makers in the immediate or near future. Counting on economic growth to increase revenue just isn't a good idea in the pre-industrial era.

With the exception of things like laws to regulate land enclosure, or improvements to the roads, which presumably would have an indirect impact on revenue?

Also, what happened to the Basques (as opposed to the presumably Occitan-speaking Gascons) in Gascony? They aren't mentioned in the stats.

You're responsible for naming them, I'm responsible for keeping track of succession.

So we can name our ruler, obviously. But are you deciding who the heirs are? Who all the children are? If so, then will they be in the stats soon?

When you get a chance Yamato factions would be great.

Navy descriptions shouldn't be so hard to change for those with small decrepid or non-existant navies as long as one contracts outside entities... training and port facilities will be much worse.

what's left beyond preparing for war and keeping your factions under control?

- What else should 16th century states be doing, really?

*joY*

Signing up for Jurchen. :)

Still reading, will post some stuff if needed in a bit.

Letter to the Khan of Khans and the Honorable Viceroy of the Right said:
The King Sosurim of the kingdom of Hubaekje, would like to extend his greetings to the Khan of Khans, and express his deep regret that relations in the past have been less than they once were.

The Kingdom of Hubaekje desires nothing but friendly relations between our nations, and we take this opportunity to ask if there is any unfortunate circumstances that would stand between a harmonious accord.

The King would ask only that you recognize the current borders of our kingdom as it's rightful extent. Hubaekje is contented with them, and we hope the Khan of Khans is as well.

Though we desire peace, we offer the Khan our aid and friendship should they come in to conflict with any nation bordering the kingdom of Hubakjae.

Treaty of Friendship Between King Sosurim and Khagan Mandukhai said:
After friendly discussions, King Sosurim and the Khagan Madukhai affirm forever their friendship, and for the mutual benefit and peace of both their kingdoms, adhere to the following points:

1) That travelers and holy men of the Khaganate shall be welcome guests in the Kingdom of Hubaekje, and shall conduct themselves as guests not associating themselves with lesser sorts of men, such as bandits, rebels, pirates, butchers, slaves or shamans.

2) That the current borders of the kingdom of Hubaekje are natural and should not be changed. That both the King and the Khan desire them to remain as they are.

3) Should any nation which shares a border with the kingdom Hubaekje come into conflict with the Khaganate, let them tremble, for the kingdom of Hubaekje shall aid the Khan in a cooperative manner.

With these points of agreement and a spirit of friendship, the King and Khan shall secure harmony throughout the whole world.
The King has ordered copies of the treaty printed and distributed throughout Sogyong, and further copies to be sent to the Honorable Viceroy of the Right, to use as he pleases.

The Khagan affirms this new era of Khaganate-Hubaekje relations, as articulated in the Treaty of Friendship.

To Volynia
From Tokhta Horde

Your people used to be a favored vassal of my great ancestors. But as time passed they became foolish and reached for fruits above their station. For this arrogance they were punished and my ancestors bathed in Volynia's blood, laid waste to it's cities, and created towers of heads which reached the heavens.

Now I receive word from Khan Selim Beg of the Crimea that Tartars in Volynia's pay have seen fit to raid his lands. I have received word that the herds and flocks of his people have been stolen. I have received word that merchants are abused and assaulted. I hear that unreasonable duties and tariff is placed upon them and that trade is disrupted. I hear all these things. And then I question the sanity and wisdom of the foolish prince who gives such insult to my vassals and therefore gives insult to my person.

He ask that I recreate the punishment of my ancestors. I have not yet inclined to do so. But perhaps if such transgressions persist I may feel compelled to remind Volynia why they do not trifle with the Horde.

Know this. If I hear word that raids continue, that trade is disrupted, that my merchants are attacked or abused, and that unreasonable duty is placed upon them then I shall feel tempted to honor my great ancestors and create a goblet from your skull and make your people lament their births as I lay waste to your lands.

To the Tokhata Horde
From Volynia

Your words are heard. We will do what we feel best. However, also remember that the spilling of blood came from lack of communication and has ended the past. If there is any trouble of any kind, with you or any of the neighbors near Volynia, we seek to speak and listen (as you have kindly offered to do this time) before committing to an action. (awaiting PM from Perf)

OOC:

Khanate of Crimea: The subordinate khanate in the far west. Submitted to Tokhta earlier and easier than most, and consequently has a uniquely sweet deal. Has a fair bit of domestic autonomy, and tends to coordinate the Horde's contacts with Europeans. Presently having problems with Volynian Tatars raiding Crimean territory, and would like authorization to deal with them.

Perfectionist via pm:
Started with minor insults, then stealing herds from each other and that sort of thing, and one thing led to another and now it's come to tit for tat raids.

Seems fairly simple to me. Stop them or I'll go all Genghis Khan on your arse son. :cool:

Is Tver the best nation left? It was one of a handful recommended and asked to be filled and the only one that remains unpicked. I will take it unless someone can think of something better, that way I'll be helping out. Optimally I would like something a bit quiet, but with an oppertunity to engage in raiding or hiring out mercenaries if I need extra income or excitement.

Top Bottom