PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

We see no reason why Rome cannot still be on friendly terms. The alliance is merely one of defense. So long as Rome does not seek war in the east no harm will come to our friendship. We are willing to go at great lengths to seek friendly relations with our neighbors. If there is anything we can do to help relieve any damage we have done, our state will certainly consider it.

The Basileus Rhomaion would look favorably upon a mutual treaty of friendship and protection, including an elimination of customs duties between our nations.

Birdjaguar said:
@Perfectionist: I have one unanswered pm that will help with orders and no news about my factions.
Sorry about that! I missed the PM in the shuffle. As to the factions, see below.
Starlife said:
I kind of want to join this... but I will need the referee's permission to ask tons of annoying questions every now and then.
Don't worry, you've plenty of competition on that front :p
Starlife said:
Is that pretty much what I must do as Bengal? What kind of freedom do I have with these nations?
Oh, plenty of freedom generally, but it's likely that in this particular case Delhi won't give Bengal much of a choice.
Starlife said:
Sub-question: Does Siam or Tibet not exist in this universe?
Not as such, no. There are other things there, but Southeast Asia and Tibet are black because I don't want anyone playing them.
The Farow said:
OCC: Is there a link to the history of this NES? If not that is fine just will help with some context.
Not yet, sorry. I'm trying to finish a TL summary but other things keep getting in the way.

Things like Asian faction descriptions

Malabar: The cities and merchants of the Malabar Coast, still somewhat recovering from the devastation of the Pandyan conquest. Generally opposed to campaigns in the north, don't like anything disrupting their trading. Don't like Gujarati and Arab dominance of the western Indian trade routes.
Coromandel: The cities and merchants of the Coromandel Coast. Tend to be fairly close to Jaffna. Likewise generally opposed to being taxed to pay for northern campaigns.
Viceroy of the Andhra: The subking responsible for the Andhra. Recently organized, during the unrest following Bijapur's defeat. Tends not to like the old feudal dynasties. Supports attacking Orissa.
Kakatiya: A feudatory Telugu dynasty; probably the most influential of the pre-Pandya dynasties still remaining. Don't like the Viceroy of the Andhra, don't like central interference.
Nayaks: Feudal governors of the conquered Bijapuri lands. Support finishing what they started at Talikota. Don't like central interference in their domains, but tend to support the center against its other feudatories.

Royal court: The eunuchs, concubines, and inner circle of the emperor. Tend to support most imperial initiatives. Currently in favor of focusing against Guangzhou.
Bureaucracy: The usual Confucian bureaucrats, selected based on the examination system. Don't like military influence at court, don't like having their influence checked.
Fujian: The province of Fujian. More oriented towards mercantile and seafaring pursuits, and more sympathetic to the Haishu, than most. Doesn't like the dominance of rural, agrarian interests at court, is broadly in favor of rapprochement with the rival Chinese states.
Army administration: The noble officers who run the army. Don't like bureaucratic influence at court. Oppose any sort of accommodation with any of your enemies, and particularly with Guangzhou.

Wu clique: A group of influential merchants and nobles gathered around the person of Wu Sangui. In favor of rapprochement with Nanhai, opposed to any major campaigns against them.
Royal court: The eunuchs, concubines, and inner circle of the emperor. Tends to support most imperial initiatives. Opposed, at the moment, to any sort of understanding with the Nanhai
Army administration: The noble officers who run the army. Don't like attention being given to the navy. In favor of alliance with Guangzhou against Nanhai.
Navy administration: The officers who run the navy; tend to be drawn from merchants and plutocrats. Don't like attention being given to the army, don't really like Guangzhou, generally in favor of trying to make peace with the Nanhai and focusing on the East China Sea.
Merchantry: The merchants. Don't like nobility or bureaucrats dominating central affairs. Tend to support expansion of the navy, but not at the cost of leaving the eastern border open.

Guangzhou Society: The guild of the merchants of Guangzhou. Has, as you might expect, a dominant role in the state, and wants to keep it that way. Doesn't like interference in its affairs in Southeast Asia; opposed to any sort of lasting peace with Nanhai, in favor of alliance with Haishu.
Hainan: The population on Hainan, dominated by a few great landowners. Somewhat resentful of Society dominance of political affairs.
Jiaozhi: A Viet kingdom that fell under Guangzhou financial domination a couple of decades back. Still has a native king, but financial and most other administration is run by Guangzhou. Doesn't like being taxed heavily to pay for wars with Nanhai.
Rural gentry: The gentry of the interior. Don't like merchants dominating the state, don't like mercenaries dominating the military, somewhat pro-Nanhai.

Imperial court: The royal family and their retainers. Like being given titles and lands, tend to be fairly reliable supporters of the Emperor.
Akechi clan: A noble clan based in northern Honshu. Doesn't like being forced to do the emperor's bidding, but is out of the way enough that it often doesn't have to. Don't like Hojo influence in imperial affairs.
Hojo clan: A noble clan based in central Honshu. The leading pro-imperial clan. Consequently favored by the imperial administration, and would like to keep it that way. Jealous of anyone trying to usurp their position. Has a rivalry with the Oda. Currently on an anti-Korean kick, since they think war would be beneficial to their position.
Oda clan: A noble clan based in Kyushu. The leading anti-imperial clan. Dislikes the Hojo, dislikes imperial pretensions, would prefer to return to the good old days.

Bureaucracy: The bureaucrats who run the administration. Selected based on examinations, and usually drawn from lesser gentry. Don't like the nobility having a role in local administration. Tend to think the generals are too independent.
Nobility: The great hereditary nobles. Still reasonably important to rural administration, but being marginalized in favor of the bureaucracy. Not happy about that. Tend to provide a lot of the top military officers, and are in favor of ramping up activities against the Jurchen, since they think they can claw back influence that way.
Royal family: The ruling dynasty, with its near monopoly on the highest offices of the state. Tend to support anything that reinforces their position.
Marcher generals: The generals of the garrisons on the Jurchen frontier. Have a fair bit of leeway in their activities on the frontier. Usually in favor of war with the Jurchen.

OOC: Isn't that really going to hurt your income? At least you have a stronger market than mine tho : ) ... oh and won't the Anatolian Grandees maybe be upset? They've got autonomy so some of the customs money might be going to them.

Try taking Zabid. They're strong, but small and sort of isolated (but not) and you're pretty free to choose your path; all you have to do is keep the Egyptians bottled up while cementing your position and keep half an eye on Mecca.

Try taking Zabid. They're strong, but small and sort of isolated (but not) and you're pretty free to choose your path; all you have to do is keep the Egyptians bottled up while cementing your position and keep half an eye on Mecca.

I was eying Zabid, but noticed someone in an earlier page claimed it. :sad:

The Basileus Rhomaion would look favorably upon a mutual treaty of friendship and protection, including an elimination of customs duties between our nations.

Oh brother.

EDIT: I think we went over the elimination of tariffs and its effects on income. Want a link?

EDIT2: Please don't kill me IC! PLEASE! I just want to be friends! Literally! No wait...

Moderator Action: Off topic posts deleted.

So do I get to pick whether Lucrezia is married or not, or was the omission of her marital status in the stats unintentional?

I think it's a little peculiar that there is not a single established marriage alliance in Europe at the moment, and not a single heiress with the possible exception of Yaroslavl. I seriously think some of those married princes and princesses should be married to each other.

To Albrecht III, King of Lotharingia
From Leofric III, Emperor

May our kinship be everlasting. We shall send to you our third daughter Edith to be married to your son Konrad next year.

To Ygo fan Brussel, Prince of Frisia

Our new ally, with whom it is, you have told us, your pleasure to also be connected to by the alliance of your ally the Emperor, has expressed concern that it should be agreed that, in the new spirit of friendship between the lands of Gaul, you will not allow or condone any embargo in your land to be carried out against Lotharingian merchants, or any other unreasonable hostile trading practices against Lotharingian merchants. Please agree to this reasonable request in the interests of the greatly profitable friendship that may thereby be engendered between our three princes.

Know also, as we stated previously, that you are as ever the most beloved and closest of all vassals, and this alliance with Lotharingia does not by any means prejudice or override our present and firm concord.

To the King of Gascony
From Leofric III, heir of Charlemagne

We invite you to perform the homage that you owe us at Tours in August 1501, for we intend for ourself and our Royal Court to visit Neustria and there to receive the homage of our loyal vassals in Gaul at that time.

I think it's a little peculiar that there is not a single established marriage alliance in Europe at the moment, and not a single heiress with the possible exception of Yaroslavl. I seriously think some of those married princes and princesses should be married to each other.

Well, you don't specifically know they're not. I think Perfy left that up to us to decide.

Has to be consensual, chief, and if I've got a choice I'm going with "already married, and not to you". :lol:

So do I get to pick whether Lucrezia is married or not, or was the omission of her marital status in the stats unintentional?
Yes, you get to pick.
Has to be consensual, chief, and if I've got a choice I'm going with "already married, and not to you". :lol:
And righto.
There are a few marriage alliances that I've thought about - England and Frisia, for instance - but I'm not quite sure of the best way to show them in stats. For the vast majority of cases, however, the heirs are randomly generated, and I haven't thought about who they really should be married to. I could go through and pair them up, if you really want, but it would be pretty much arbitrary and I'd rather not do it that way. If two players agree that they want a couple of their heirs to be married to each other, I don't really have a problem with allowing it. As to the paucity of heiresses, blame the RNG. :p

Starlife said:
al-Muwahhidun is looking interesting to me, though also a bit intimidating.
The Almohads are very interesting, though to be honest they're probably going to be dogpiled at some point. Tver's open again, and they're also very interesting.

To Ygo fan Brussel, Prince of Frisia

Our new ally, with whom it is, you have told us, your pleasure to also be connected to by the alliance of your ally the Emperor, has expressed concern that it should be agreed that, in the new spirit of friendship between the lands of Gaul, you will not allow or condone any embargo in your land to be carried out against Lotharingian merchants, or any other unreasonable hostile trading practices against Lotharingian merchants. Please agree to this reasonable request in the interests of the greatly profitable friendship that may thereby be engendered between our three princes.

Know also, as we stated previously, that you are as ever the most beloved and closest of all vassals, and this alliance with Lotharingia does not by any means prejudice or override our present and firm concord.

Thy will be done, my Lord and Dear Friend Leofric. No unreasonable burdens shall be placed upon the merchantry of Lotharingia.

Presenting a preliminary Genealogy of the House of Brussel, and relations to the Houses of Offa and Welf.

EDIT: Regarding the odd ages, subtract 510 years... the software I'm using is annoyingly inflexible.

Top Bottom