Air interception

I was thinking about air interception, I'm not sure how that works to tell the truth.
What I've seen anyway is that it's possible to use air units to see inside an opponent's territory if you don't have open borders or enough espionage points. While this is OK if observed civ doesn't own planes or if you have open borders, I think it's odd that you can use your planes to enter a rival territory if you don't have open borders. In real life planes are shot down when entering a hostile airspace, even if countries are not really at war. Or at least they risk to be shot down.
In my opinion we should forbid planes from scouting enemy territory (except probably spy planes, which would finally have sense), unless opponent doesn't have flight. Opinions?

I think a % chance of a temporary relations hit based on the type of plane and the tech difference between the players. So if I scout the territory of a player with ww2 level tech with my stealth fighter the chance of there being any consequences is very very low.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14115718 said:
I was thinking about air interception, I'm not sure how that works to tell the truth.
What I've seen anyway is that it's possible to use air units to see inside an opponent's territory if you don't have open borders or enough espionage points. While this is OK if observed civ doesn't own planes or if you have open borders, I think it's odd that you can use your planes to enter a rival territory if you don't have open borders. In real life planes are shot down when entering a hostile airspace, even if countries are not really at war. Or at least they risk to be shot down.
In my opinion we should forbid planes from scouting enemy territory (except probably spy planes, which would finally have sense), unless opponent doesn't have flight. Opinions?

Calls to mind the Turkish-Russian incident of the near past.
Totally makes sense. If you can do it, please do it.
I think a % chance of a temporary relations hit based on the type of plane and the tech difference between the players. So if I scout the territory of a player with ww2 level tech with my stealth fighter the chance of there being any consequences is very very low.

While I see the good intention in your proposal, I think it is too complicated.

BTW there's one thing about airlifting that always bothered me: You can increase the number of units you can airlift FROM a city, but it can always receive ONLY 1. Could it be changed to match the two so a city with an airport could receive more units than one without it?

@ Sorgroon - With an Airfield ONLY you can receive UNLIMITED amount of air lifted units, up to you Unit per tile limit.

I just did a test, I only have Airfields in all my cities, I build 30+ Automatons and air lifted them all to ONE CITY. It reached its Unit per tile limit of 30 and wouldn't receive any more, all on the same turn.

Air lift with Air field is only 1/turn, receiving is unlimited.

On this subject, what annoys me, is with a airfield, your produced units will proceed over land to your destination city, and not be Airlifted.

Automated Workers will Airlift to an overseas city, as will produced units on Auto move (gather) at an overseas city, but on the ONE land mass, they proceed overland.

Solution - Enable the choice of the fasted route selection if Air travel is available.

@ Sorgroon - With an Airfield ONLY you can receive UNLIMITED amount of air lifted units, up to you Unit per tile limit.

I just did a test, I only have Airfields in all my cities, I build 30+ Automatons and air lifted them all to ONE CITY. It reached its Unit per tile limit of 30 and wouldn't receive any more, all on the same turn.

Air lift with Air field is only 1/turn, receiving is unlimited.

:eek: Ohh, really?
Was that always like that?
:wallbash:

45°38'N-13°47'E;14115718 said:

Is the problem only with the recon mission? If it is, I think we would be better off working in the mission code rather than trying to make a completely new mechanic. I think the easiest thing to do would be to treat recon missions as any other border crossing (counts as act of war without Open Borders) and let stealth planes use the <CanExploreRivalTerritory> tag to bypass it.

Is the problem only with the recon mission? If it is, I think we would be better off working in the mission code rather than trying to make a completely new mechanic. I think the easiest thing to do would be to treat recon missions as any other border crossing (counts as act of war without Open Borders) and let stealth planes use the <CanExploreRivalTerritory> tag to bypass it.
Uh, I didn't think about it, you're 100% right. I think the problem is only with recon mission.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14117741 said:
Uh, I didn't think about it, you're 100% right. I think the problem is only with recon mission.

OK. If you really want to make it less than an all-or-nothing ability for stealth planes, you might want to look at the mechanics for spotting enemy Spies. I think that would be the best fit without having to create a completely new mechanic.

How much of a sight range do air units have? I like the idea of using air units on recon missions targeting your own tiles so they can see a few tiles across the border, but can't see into another civilization's heartland without open borders agreements.

OK. If you really want to make it less than an all-or-nothing ability for stealth planes, you might want to look at the mechanics for spotting enemy Spies. I think that would be the best fit without having to create a completely new mechanic.

How much of a sight range do air units have? I like the idea of using air units on recon missions targeting your own tiles so they can see a few tiles across the border, but can't see into another civilization's heartland without open borders agreements.

For now I've just disabled recon missions in enemy territory; it's now only allowed with vassals, with open borders, when at war or when using spy planes.
For the future, I'd like to try the spy mechanics but right now it's just too much for the time I have.

Top Bottom