Tech Tree Revisions

Good one! Both in looks and concept.

So I just hit Industrial era for the first time in awhile. Renaissance was insanely long compared to the other ages, then you hit Industrial and the techs all seem vacant. very few wonders, not to many great people. Entire (at least early Industrial) Era seems empty and devoid of life compared the the earlier eras.

Here is another thing I thought of. What if we took Hotel from Economics and gave it to Railroad? We removed most of Railroad's BTS tricks to other techs. Mining Inc went to Explosives and Machine Gun to Automatic Weapons, leaving only the Railroad improvement and I had to create the Golden Spike to fill it out. Economics is strong enough without the Hotel.

Here is another thing I thought of. What if we took Hotel from Economics and gave it to Railroad? We removed most of Railroad's BTS tricks to other techs. Mining Inc went to Explosives and Machine Gun to Automatic Weapons, leaving only the Railroad improvement and I had to create the Golden Spike to fill it out. Economics is strong enough without the Hotel.

I think that pushes Hotel out to far. How about a Central Train Station building? Make it a bit like an industrial era Paved Roads? Any European nations need a good unqiue building? Could give them a specialized train station.

I think that pushes Hotel out to far. How about a Central Train Station building? Make it a bit like an industrial era Paved Roads?

+1 for train stations :)

I think I considered Rail Station at one point. I think it's too close to Public Transportation to work well, since Public Transportation is the upgrade to Paved Roads. I want to avoid replacement buildings in the same era if possible.

I think I considered Rail Station at one point. I think it's too close to Public Transportation to work well, since Public Transportation is the upgrade to Paved Roads. I want to avoid replacement buildings in the same era if possible.

Well then don't make it a Paved Roads type thing :D Maybe not even Train Station, maybe a Rail Yard? There is just a huge lack of train buildings despite how important trains are to the world.

Maybe a Cargo/Freight Train Terminal?
With some kinda bonus to :hammers: and :commerce: I suppose.

Actually, I did have an idea. Instead of making a new niche, we kick some buildings out of the existing niche and make room.

First, existing buildings:
  • Delete Paved Roads entirely as a building.
  • Delete the commerce bonuses from Public Transportation and Personal Rapid Train. They still have a purpose as health/minor happiness buildings for larger cities.
That frees up some room for new buildings.
  • Caravanserai offers a small connected commerce bonus in the early game, probably appearing in the early Classical Era.
  • Rail Station upgrades Caravanserai at Railroad and increases the commerce bonus.
  • Rail Station eventually upgrades to Spaceport.

I like the Rail Station.

Actually, I did have an idea. Instead of making a new niche, we kick some buildings out of the existing niche and make room.

First, existing buildings:
  • Delete Paved Roads entirely as a building.
  • Delete the commerce bonuses from Public Transportation and Personal Rapid Train. They still have a purpose as health/minor happiness buildings for larger cities.
That frees up some room for new buildings.
  • Caravanserai offers a small connected commerce bonus in the early game, probably appearing in the early Classical Era.
  • Rail Station upgrades Caravanserai at Railroad and increases the commerce bonus.
  • Rail Station eventually upgrades to Spaceport.

Rail Station to Space Port doesn't really make sense. Airport to Space Port is the logical step. Rail Station to Teleportation Terminal (would need to exist) makes sense.

Rail Station to Space Port doesn't really make sense. Airport to Space Port is the logical step. Rail Station to Teleportation Terminal (would need to exist) makes sense.

I was just thinking "transportation hub" and that Rail Station would be obsolete once passenger spaceflight was fully developed. Also, I'm very interested in having two buildings upgrade to one when possible to keep the length of the build list manageable. I think we have so many buildings that we need to rein them in sometimes and the replacement mechanic is a good way to do that.

I like the idea of some rail-related building, and the concept of transportation technology being more important than it currently is. What I've always wanted was for a city's third ring (Expanded Cities option) to become available with a transport technology, i.e. Rail, (or more specifically with an associated building) rather than with some administrative building as is currently the case. After all it's not the ability to administer which allows food to be brought from further afield, it's the ability to physically transport the food before it goes off.

All for deleting Paved Roads and Highways and so forth...

Paved Roads is the only building I'm getting rid of now. Public Transportation/Personal Rapid Train have their place as infrastructure investments to control the unhealth/unhappiness from large cities. They won't generate commerce any more. Highway is Regulated's civic building. I don't want to get rid of that either.

I posted the buildings in the building workshop thread. I settled on one line of three buildings -- Caravanserai/Railway Station/Transporter -- and Public Transportation/Personal Rapid Train eventually upgrade to Transporter as well.

Speaking of Via Appia, I feel like its cost is way too high for what it does - it's way cheaper to just build paved roads with workers and the :commerce: bonus just isn't worth all those :hammers:.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14146580 said:
About Paved Road, wasn't it required for Via Appia? No problem there?

I deleted that requirement a long time ago. It was delaying VA's construction too much.

Speaking of Via Appia, I feel like its cost is way too high for what it does - it's way cheaper to just build paved roads with workers and the :commerce: bonus just isn't worth all those :hammers:.

I'll bring it down to 400 base and see how it works then.

I have another complex proposal. I am not particularly happy with the current arrangement and trick assignment of the early naval techs (Fishing, Sailing, Seafaring, Naval Warfare, Ship Building). The main issues I have are:
  • I think Fishing and Sailing are very front-loaded. They have kept most of their tricks from original BTS. Most other core BTS techs have been divided up into two or three parts and their tricks split among them (for example, Musketmen being moved from Gunpowder to Flintlock or the Apostolic Palace being moved from Theology to Papacy). The naval techs in general are terrible at being tied into the rest of the Tech Tree, and this encourages dipping into that part of the tree rather than exploring it deeply. Sailing is especially bad, with a trick count of 7.5. I think 6 or more tricks on one tech is dangerous.
  • I think Ship Building should come before Naval Warfare and Seafaring.
  • I do not like Galleys appearing as early as they are. I think you should be at actual Ships before you are able to build anything that is a naval unit with a combat strength.
I almost think we have one naval tech too many in the Ancient Era, but I don't know of anything broad enough to replace both Ship Building and Naval Warfare (Fishing and Sailing are core BTS, and Seafaring is rock-solid in my opinion). I also don't want to cut any pre-Industrial techs.

So, first I have some changes to make to the prerequisites of each tech. Ship Building swaps places with Seafaring and Ship Building becomes mandatory for Naval Warfare.
  • Fishing, Sailing: Unchanged.
  • Ship Building: Moves into the Ancient Era. Prerequisites become Sailing.
  • Naval Warfare: Prerequisites become Ship Building + Archery.
  • Seafaring: Moves into the Classical Era. Prerequisites become Naval Warfare + Trade + Metal Casting.

I also did some heavy rearranging on the tricks that each tech gets. Some things get rearranged to stay in the appropriate era. Other things get bounced around. Apparently, I can only do so many lists in a post, so this post just has Fishing and Sailing and the next will have the rest.

Fishing
  • Keeps:
    • Work Water Tiles
    • Reveal Pearls
    • Fish Traps
  • Gets:
    • Myth of the Sea -- moved from Sailing
      • This is to compensate for losing Work Boats/Fishing Boats to Sailing.
  • Gives Up:
    • Work Boat/Fishing Boats -- moves to Sailing
      • This is, I think, the most controversial part. The reason for moving is to reduce the front-loading on Fishing. With Fishing, you can work water tiles but not yet get the big bonuses from seafood. I could live with not moving these and Myth of the Sea if it's really unpopular.
  • Net Trick Change: -1 (goes from 4.5 to 3.5)
Sailing
  • Keeps:
    • Docks
    • Reveal Whales
    • Trade on Coast
  • Gets:
    • Fishing Boats/Work Boats -- moved from Fishing
    • Moai Statues -- moved from Seafaring
      • I don't want Moai Statues changing eras. This seemed like a good spot. Sculpture will dictate more when Moai actually is buildable.
  • Gives Up:
    • Myth of the Sea -- moves to Fishing
    • Galley -- moves to Ship Building
    • Trade on Coast -- moves to Ship Building
      • As I said, Ship Building is where I think ships should come available.
    • Amphibious Promotion -- moves to Naval Warfare
      • I think it makes more sense to have Amphibious at a tech that is actually about sea fighting than at Sailing which is overloaded as it is. I also think that putting Ancient Era tech requirements on promotions is not all that useful as I think it is unlikely you will get enough XP to make a promotion available before you reach the required tech. A requirement that doesn't actually constrain you isn't really worth including.
    • Piracy Promotion -- moves to Seafaring
      • This keeps it in line with its prerequisite promotions. Piracy requires Navigation I. Navigation I will stay with Seafaring.
  • Net Trick Change: -2 (goes from 7.5 to 5.5)

Top Bottom