[Translation of main mod] Help needed !

dbkblk

Emperor
Translate A New Dawn in your language!

We use English as international language, but we believe you should be able to play Civilization IV in your mother tongue. That's why our team pushed the Civ IV engine to the limit and made it compatible with all the following languages:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Belarusian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Farsi, Filipino, Finnish, French, Gaelic, Gallego, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lao, Lithuanian, Latvian, Malaysian, Maori (Ngai Tahu), Maori (Waikoto Uni), Norwegian, Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish (International), Swedish, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
If you speak one of these languages and want to translate the game, just make a request on our translation platform (Transifex); instructions below.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Contributing is easy! Just click on the following links to access to the part of the translation you want to work on (or through the launcher: "Help us to improve the mod -> Translation"). By order of importance:

>> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/and-main-mod/ << MAIN STRINGS: The texts which will appear while playing.
>> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/and-website/ << THE WEBSITE: Having a translated website is important to promote the mod to your community.
>> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/and-civilopedia-strings/ << CIVILOPEDIA STRINGS: These texts only appear in Civilopedia. They are less important for playing (and time consuming to translate).

The translation platform has four levels of privileges:
- Administrator: Manages the translation (basically, the AND team).
- Contributor: Manages the translation team in a specific language (accept / reject new translators).
- Reviewer: Can translate and validates the strings.
- Translator: Translates strings but cannot validate. Everyone can be a translator.

As a general rule, if you're a serious translator and wish to be promoted to a higher level of privilege (except admin.), we have no reason to refuse.

INSTRUCTIONS

• Go on the translation platform.
  • You need an account to continue. Create one or login if you already have one.
  • Click on the language you want to translate.
  • Above the language list, there is a button "Join team". Click on it and confirm. You will now join the list of translators in this language. Requests at translator level are accepted automatically !
  • If the language you want isn't in the list, there is a button to "ask for a new language". Select the language you want and it will tell coordinators about your request.
  • Click on the file you want to translate. It will open a dialog. Click on the button "Translate now". It will open the page for translation.
  • Filter the strings that are not yet translated by clicking on "Not translated" and begin translation.

IMPORTANT: If you find an english string in your translation, please remove it, except if the translation in your language is the same.

IMPORTANT: If you find a mistake in the english string, please open an issue. At the bottom right, in the comments tab, write something and click on the issue checkbox.

For more help on how to use the platform, check: http://support.transifex.com/customer/portal/topics/414107-translators/articles

Some clarification about sentences:

Most of the tagged [words] must not be removed from the sentence. However, they can be moved accordingly to the meaning of the sentence. Some are specials, others not. Here is a not exhaustive list:
  • [ICON_BULLET] should stay at the start of a sentence, as it is a typographic bullet point.
  • [ICON_*] (others icons) can be moved. The game will replace those by an icon in game. [ICON_COMMERCE] will be a coin, [ICON_CULTURE] a music note, etc.
  • [COLOR_UNIT_TEXT]Retreat[COLOR_REVERT] will colorize the words inside the markers. It is used to highlight some special names, like buildings names, wonders, units, etc. as a function of the context.
  • [NEWLINE] will put a new line.
  • [SPACE] will put a space. Note that you don't need this one. It is archaic and have no use with the new translation system. It will indeed make a space, but a regular space will do too.
  • %d1, %d2, %%d1%, etc. will be replaced by numerical values. Ex: [ICON_BULLET]%D1_Bonus%% from Defense Modifier >> ". 5% from Defense Modifier". The "1" in %d1, will be treated as the first numerical value to be replaced. There could be many values in the same sentence. Unfortunately, you cannot invert those number, so write your translation accordingly on those ones.
  • %s1_UnitName, %s1_adjectives, etc. will be replaced by names or adjectives. They allow to build generic sentences that will be used during events. "A Javeliner has done...", "A Missile has done...", "The Carthaginian empire has done...".
  • You can use this formula to change subject or verb conjugation: [NUM2:un:une:des:des]. It is quite heavy to use that. In french, i've sometime used parenthesis to fix conjugation: "Un(e) %s1_UnitName s'est perdu(e)". It is lighter to translate as an alternative.

Some tips and tricks:
  • You don't need to respect the English typography: In English, some translations have capitals at the start of many words but that might not be the case in your mother tongue.
  • Stay tuned about translation updates: In the translation platform, at the top right level of the screen, there is a button called "watch project". If you click on it, you will be informed when new strings are updated.
  • Sometimes, only a few words are modified in English sentences, but the whole translation is removed. In that case, in the translation window (right part of the screen), scroll down to the bottom to check the historical. You'll see sentences that match the translation at a certain percent. Get the highest percent by clicking the "copy" button and rewrite the sentence according to the changes in the english strings.
  • Use Wikipedia English/Your language to check some historical names or facts. Search the problematic name on Wikipedia England and see if the page is translated in your language.
  • Use the automatic translation to speed up your work: Click on the lightning button (see image below) when in the translation mode to translate the sentence using Microsoft Translate. It is really useful to translate as it will instantly generate a "basis" to work on. However, always read the output before validation as it often generate some ugly syntax problems.

CREDITS

All the credits to translators are added from time to time on the website: http://anewdawn.sourceforge.net/pages/credits/#translators

Hi,

I open this post to talk about translations. Actually, the xml files is quite an happy mess:
- There are many tags in double
- There are many files which contains some tags for small updates, and others big files.
- There are files that update translation in french, then in polish, with the same tags again.

I have a plan to fix all of that :
1 - Import the main game xml (from "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text") intro the text folder
2 - Merge updated xml files into the main (why keep unmanageable copies)
3 - Merge all xml files (except the original "updated") and divided them by "type". For example : TXT_BUILDING.xml contains all TXT_BUILDING_*, TXT_CIVIC.xml contains all TXT_CIVIC_*, etc.
4 - Find all the duplicate entries and sort them to keep only one entry
5 - Make a parser to import the xml files into a translation platform (so it's easy to import / export between the platform and the game for the devs)
6 - Delete all the entities untranslated but which contains english entries in non english language (by default, the game will show the entities, so no need to duplicate them). This move could allow the translation platform to show the percentage of translated string.

NOW, on a serious plan:
- I have made a parser which can export all the strings into a format that can be exploited by the platform. I will publish the tool soon as i want to add some functionnalities.
- The translation platform is here : Translation platform. It is free, forever. NOTA: The first import contains only english / french strings as a demo. The import of french strings is still in progress.
- From an end user view: Just create an account, translate some strings. Some other peoples can contribute at the same time easily (but don't begin to work yet as nothing has been decided).
- From a dev view: Just put updated text file into the site, it will automatically detect new/delete/updated strings and will tell others langage that strings are modified. Once some translations are done, it is easy to grab only the modified file. My wonderful script can reinject the strings into the game file. That's 2 min with a clock in your hand: ).

Devs. Are you ok with this move? Could you give me the rights on the SVN server to do that?

Great work; is your Sourceforge name the same you have here on the forum? I can certainly give you access to speed up things. :)

OK. Thank you !

Hi,

I open this post to talk about translations. Actually, the xml files is quite an happy mess:
- There are many tags in double
- There are many files which contains some tags for small updates, and others big files.
- There are files that update translation in french, then in polish, with the same tags again.

I have a plan to fix all of that :
1 - Import the main game xml (from "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text") intro the text folder
2 - Merge updated xml files into the main (why keep unmanageable copies)
3 - Merge all xml files (except the original "updated") and divided them by "type". For example : TXT_BUILDING.xml contains all TXT_BUILDING_*, TXT_CIVIC.xml contains all TXT_CIVIC_*, etc.
4 - Find all the duplicate entries and sort them to keep only one entry
5 - Make a parser to import the xml files into a translation platform (so it's easy to import / export between the platform and the game for the devs)
6 - Delete all the entities untranslated but which contains english entries in non english language (by default, the game will show the entities, so no need to duplicate them). This move could allow the translation platform to show the percentage of translated string.

NOW, on a serious plan:
- I have made a parser which can export all the strings into a format that can be exploited by the platform. I will publish the tool soon as i want to add some functionnalities.
- The translation platform is here : Translation platform. It is free, forever. NOTA: The first import contains only english / french strings as a demo. The import of french strings is still in progress.
- From an end user view: Just create an account, translate some strings. Some other peoples can contribute at the same time easily (but don't begin to work yet as nothing has been decided).
- From a dev view: Just put updated text file into the site, it will automatically detect new/delete/updated strings and will tell others langage that strings are modified. Once some translations are done, it is easy to grab only the modified file. My wonderful script can reinject the strings into the game file. That's 2 min with a clock in your hand: ).

Devs. Are you ok with this move? Could you give me the rights on the SVN server to do that?

ad 1 - it's been done by me. updatepolish* it's a files from BTS/WARLORDS/VANILLA, without tags which occur in mod

Updated instructions.

You're doing an amazing job with these tools and the installer for AND. I wish I knew do those things, but I dont know how to do them. :sad:

Great job!:goodjob:

You're doing an amazing job with these tools and the installer for AND. I wish I knew do those things, but I dont know how to do them. :sad:

Thank you ! I didn't knew how to do that two months ago :D
This is time (and mind) -consuming but very instructive !

I've managed to sort tags by categories :) wouhou !!
I need to do some more tests before to merge files in the main mod. We can hope to see the translation platform open before the end of the week !

Updated description. The platform is now open !! Go go go ! :)

I will integrate the base game translations of the following languages in the coming hours: Finnish, Russian and Hungarian.
I know that chinese and japanese have retail version. If there is an interest and if you are playing with one of these languages, please send me the text files.

I have now activated the automated translation. When you are in the translation window, you can click on "Automated translation" beside the "Copy original string" function. Please read and fix mistakes because aren't really as good as humans for fixing mistakes and syntax :)

@dbkblk
Can you add me to Polish Translator Team? My nick in portal: lordfistas

No problem, as you are our relay for the polish community, you'll be our polish coordonator ! If you know other people interested, you can invite them.

Remember that you don't need our autorization to translate the game (just go at the language and click "join team". The approval is automatic). It is only need to be able to review strings.

EDIT: Done. Remember to watch the project to get notified on english strings update !

The link of the platform has changed. It is needed because i had a bug which they fixed during the initial configuration.

No problem. I've also added you as an administrator of the organization so you can add/delete members and languages.

Someone asked for singhala language but i don't know if this is a serious request. The game don't support non-latin characters but there is a way to trick the game as the russian community did by modifying the GameFonts.tga file. From what i've understood, they write the phrase into cyrillic then convert every special character to latin (é, à, etc.) then they modded the gamefonts to show cyrillic when a special char is shown.
I'm interested in that process to open the mod to the world :)

Good news for russians ! I've found a way to convert both ways the translation from http://www.civfanatics.ru. So you will be able to translate the game writing russian and it will be automatically converted to a compatible format !

Top Bottom