Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhye, seeing as there were never THAT many colonial empires on Earth* you can make a set of wonders named "First Colonial Empire", "Second Colonial Empire", etc, totalling at say, 8 or 10 such wonders, each one costing a bit more than the one before it, all having he exact same effects except the first three having one more culture than the rest. They would all be enabled by an optional tech called Imperialism. Basically whoever starts work on their Colonial Empire will have a better Empire in some ways and only a limited number of civs could ever get such an empire. You can also make these wonders require some resource available only in Africa, NE Asia, and the Americas (all in specific sites where early colonies were built by the colonial powers,) only visible with Imperialism, and then only someone who already started colonizing will be able to get it.
Maybe this idea is a bit too complex for the regular game, but I'm sure you could fit it into the Xpack.

*In game terms we'd have France, England, Rome, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, and perhaps another one or two that I may be forgetting.

Blasphemous said:
You can also make these wonders require some resource available only in Africa, NE Asia, and the Americas (all in specific sites where early colonies were built by the colonial powers,) only visible with Imperialism, and then only someone who already started colonizing will be able to get it.

I like that idea. They would require two different resources - one that only are found in the home lands of the empires, and one only in the colonies.

I think it would be enough with just one great wonder. Every civ have the opportunity to colonize, but one civ will get a boost to become a "super"-empire (e.g. real-life England).

This is my opinion, too.
Maybe I could add another one available later (say late 1800, while the Colonial Empire is available with Navigation) called something like "world wide empire" or a generic term for the Commonwealth, which puts a courthouse in every city. For a very hish price.

A new barbarian system ? --> a very crippled Civ ? :)

Having played the map for several times, i noticed some things which maybe could be changed:

- zulu always become very weak for some reason. they have enough place but something seems to hinder them from growing bigger

- same goes with india (i suppose its because of the jungle)

- egypt, by any chance, is handicaped by its weak start position (not much shields around there and i didnt notice anything to equalize this somewhere else)

-> i noticed this happening on different severities

for the rest, i am quite satisfied with your work and go on what you do so nicely! :)

Lachlan said:
A new barbarian system ? --> a very crippled Civ ? :)

No. I deleted the uprisings.
I have some reasons to do that - I'll explain this better in the new readme.
For now I just reached an encouraging 1:10 in 1700. I'm anxious to see if there's much difference in industrial and modern.

Sensational said:
Having played the map for several times, i noticed some things which maybe could be changed:

- zulu always become very weak for some reason. they have enough place but something seems to hinder them from growing bigger

- same goes with india (i suppose its because of the jungle)

- egypt, by any chance, is handicaped by its weak start position (not much shields around there and i didnt notice anything to equalize this somewhere else)

-> i noticed this happening on different severities

for the rest, i am quite satisfied with your work and go on what you do so nicely! :)

This is not a problem for me - I wanted some civs to develop in their real life regions (at least when AI controls them). If you give more shields to Egypt or more food to Zulu they'll spread on the whole continent.
In Italian (maybe not only in italian) we say that "when you give them a helping hand, they grab the whole arm".

And in Hebrew people say "give them a finger and they take a hand" (sadly I've heard this used mostly as right-wing blabber against diplomatic contact with the Palestinians :( ).
(In Hebrew it doesn't sound like "giving the finger" when you say this. xD)

I think you should give Egyptians and Greeks a little more starting techs. For example give Egyptains Cerimonal Burial so they will go for Pyramids sooner. This will give them more people to work with and give Greece Iron working so they build Colossus sooner and remember they were a power back then. Also reduced the amount computer trades between each other on empire level.

KOC

I think rather than giving them extra starting techs you should just give them some boosted LM tiles and then remove the boost and make it less than standard using an invisible negative resource that appears around their decline from power. Limiting the boost to just a couple gold (and shields for Egypt as well) would hopefully keep them from expanding illogically (or at least not let them expand and grow enough so that they can keep the illogical territory long after their decline).

Why are we trying to set the Egyptians history? Why not say what if they didn't decline? What if they grew and say conqured ROME..Instead of ROME conquring them!

Rhye...HEH!

KOC

I can now say that the loading times in Industrial and Modern are HALVED.

Since 2.45 (with the shorter timeline) in my computer it took up to 3 minutes to pass the turn in 1900.

Now guess.....1:23!! 10 seconds more than in 1400.

Later this afternoon or tonight the (hopefully final) patch, v2.62!

Changes in v2.62:

- Deleted some goody huts (near English, Viking, Iroquois and Carthaginian starting location)
- Added two passages to the American west coast (near Seattle and near Salt Lake City)
- New barbarian system: no more uprisings. Static positioning of barbarian units coherent with historical units. Loading times halved in industrial and modern age.
- Added a "black" spearman unit, which populates African barbarian camps
- Updated camel rider animation
- Updated script.txt (the message of the uprisings was deleted)
- Increase tech rate a bit (255 now)
- Increased some late Medieval techs cost; decreased some early Industrial techs cost
- Removed the draft flag to mech.inf.
- Tuned Egyptian, Hebrew, Babylonian, French, Portuguese, American, Iroquois, Ethiopian, German and Roman strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom