Game Saturn

Are huts within a certain distance of your capital immune to spawning barbs? Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.

Or do you mean that the huts were close enough that they were obtained by border expansions from the capital?

I don't know exactly what the limit is, but I've heard there's a "buffer" around your capital so that you can't pop a barb, have it kill your unit, and then march into your undefended capital.

I mean I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere.

Hmm, it'd be interesting to test if this is actually true. If it's true, I'd be interested to know the exact dimensions (tilewise) of this "safe zone". :)

Well for the record, how far away in tiles was your barb hut?

One of my huts was popped via borders, the other two huts were three and four tiles away from the capital. (the city itself, not the borders) Of course not getting barbs doesn't really prove anything.

Searching for where I read this is difficult, can't think of any decent keywords! >_>

Well for the record, how far away in tiles was your barb hut?
3 down, 7 to the right of the capital (also the starting location).

One of my huts was popped via borders, the other two huts were three and four tiles away from the capital. (the city itself, not the borders) Of course not getting barbs doesn't really prove anything.
Yeah... it could just have been a fluke. Maybe instead you can't get barbs from a hut for a certain number of turns, like 10? Or maybe there's no restriction at all. :p

Maybe instead you can't get barbs from a hut for a certain number of turns, like 10?
Scratch that, just realised I hit the barbs on turn 7. :p

Okay, I went ahead and set up a test. I think I got solid results, but you can try it out yourself if you want, the save is attached. The answer is you are safe at and below seven tiles from capital, though in a large diamond (so diagonals can be dangerous)

Six rows of three huts from a 10-culture capital, deity level, random seed on reload.

Being deity level, the sixth row (eight tiles from capital) should very likely give you at least one set of barbs. If you don't get it right away, it should not take much reloading until it happens. Sometimes all three will be barbs!

However all the other rows will never get barbs EVER. I reloaded dozens of times and got different results due to random seed, but never barbs. :goodjob:

There is a sort of star pattern though, not certain on its shape. But take the three safe huts on the fifth row (furthest safe), and a hut one tile left or right will not be safe. Like: x o o o x

Edit: Began this before you I saw your post. However you certainly can get barbs on turn 1, at least on deity. However your initial warrior will take a few turns to get out of the safety zone... Also according to my findings, your hut would have been just two tiles out of it. :p

Attachments

• Hut Test BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    45.8 KB · Views: 56
Ah, right... the diamond will be in the "standard" shape of cultural borders and air missions, I bet.

Good stuff to know, anyway. Thanks for checking it out. :)

Hmm, so it's probably better (when you start with a Warrior) to circle around your capital first when exploring...

My brain cannot process all this information! :scan:

Clearly we need a diagram of some sort.

CHART!!!

Blue line is my best guess of where the safety barriar is. White are places where I tested and was unable to pop a barb hut after repeated tries. Brown tundra outside the barrier are places where I did pop barbs. Also note that this shape is legendary culture + 1.

The pointy corners seem questionable, like they should be shaved off, but I never popped barbs on those squares so maybe that's just luck.

And of course if you have a scout none of this matters anyway. :p

Wow, a lot of civs forewent building worker first to get a size 2 capital... the entire Top 5 list is size two! (including one founded 3960 BC... aka Toch) Well, enjoy your slower starts I guess. :)

Yeah I guess with all the Willems and Ragnars we could have had a lot of workboat starts. :p

Workers first in forest heavy starts are only useless if your only food is cattle...

Blue line is my best guess of where the safety barriar is. White are places where I tested and was unable to pop a barb hut after repeated tries. Brown tundra outside the barrier are places where I did pop barbs. Also note that this shape is legendary culture + 1.

The pointy corners seem questionable, like they should be shaved off, but I never popped barbs on those squares so maybe that's just luck.

And of course if you have a scout none of this matters anyway. :p
Thanks, very interesting and useful. The pointy corners actually seem to be sensible, since they're present in all of the border expansions at level 3 and beyond. :)

Interesting, so Lord Parkin popped barbarians just outside of the "barrier."
Yeah... exactly 1 tile on the wrong side, to be exact. Man, that was unlucky.

Yeah I guess with all the Willems and Ragnars we could have had a lot of workboat starts. :p
I wonder if I'm the odd one out as being the only Willem/Ragnar who didn't start coastally... :(

Workers first in forest heavy starts are only useless if your only food is cattle...
Yes. (Hint hint...Lord Parkin...)
The Worker I am building will definitely not be useless. So I'm quite happy with my choice. :)

Top Bottom